front mech

jamiev
jamiev Posts: 4
edited November 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
i`m rebuilding a bike for friend and wondered were i can get a front mech for a, scott usa. g zero.(project liteflight).also what would be the travel for the front and rear shox.

Comments

• Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    jamiev wrote:
    i`m rebuilding a bike for friend and wondered were i can get a front mech for a, scott usa. g zero.(project liteflight).also what would be the travel for the front and rear shox.

Anywhere would be the answer, there's loads of shops online selling sram and shimano front mechs, depends what your after.

What year is the bike?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you dont know the year and exact model post a picture.

In fact a picture (clear good quality) would be preferable.
    how to post pics can be found in the BR FAQ's
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • You used to need to know the seat tube diameter, but a lot now come with spacers to fit the common sizes, so that's one less thing to worry about.
    Next question is top or bottom pull. Have a look at the cable routing - will the cable approach the mech from the top or the bottom?

Finally pull or swing. If there's plenty of room above the mech then conventional/pull will be okay.

If part of the rear swingarm (for full suss designs) or other protrusion limits the space available above the front mech you need swing. (Have a look at Chain Reaction and you'll see what I mean.

Alaric.
  • its bolt on bb type but the one i have clashes with the swing arm
  • nicklouse
    Like i said
    nicklouse wrote:
    if you dont know the year and exact model post a picture.

In fact a picture (clear good quality) would be preferable.
    how to post pics can be found in the BR FAQ's
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • its a scott g zero 2001 full suss
  • nicklouse
    so no pictures of the bike?

is it this shape?

img2196hj8.th.jpg

please picture of the frame you are building then i can help.