Frozen Willy After 2 hr ride

996JAT
996JAT Posts: 94
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Is there anyway to stop this??

I was wearing cycling trousers(lycra)

My whole body is warm after the ride and it is frozen. I'm nervous it will stop working :shock: .

Can you buy anything at your LBS ??

Thanks
Jat

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    When you say lycra trousers, do you mean with a roubaix fleece lining or just lycra?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Me too. I've been out the last few nights in temps of 2-5c wearing thin ron hill bikesters over my cycling shorts. Tackle comes back resembling a Tesco value prawn. Seems to survive defrosting though.

Thinking I need some fleecy tights, and I have suspicions my saddle is restricting circulation down there too.
  • Penile numbness can be a problem sometimes so maybe your circulation is being affected in that area. I would try adjusting you saddle perhaps and making sure your wearing proper padded winter clothing.

But i've never experienced this problem so am not an expert.
  • 996JAT
    All i have is Lidl padded lycra trousers and a trek 1.7 with the standard bontrager saddle.

My legs are always warm, just the snake is frozen. Maybe i should just put it in my shoes. :arrow:

I guess legging will work but the Lidl trousers are damn heavy (only 7 quid) and leggings will make it worse.
  • I had this problem a few times. Wear speedo style pants under your shorts/trousers. Just adds a small amount of warmth to places much needed.
    Any resemblance to a Tesco value prawn after are then your problem. :wink:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    Best just to chop it off and have done. It'll only get worse. It probably adds a significant amount of weight too.
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • Maybe this would help? :)http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/ ... duct.html#

I am doubtful if your Lidl padded lycra trousers are that good at keeping your tackle warm as they are quite cheap!! I think something like the Gore Bike Wear Vista Tights would be a lot better at keeping your tackle warm and a bit more expensive as well!
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    A good quality Merino baselayer will be long enough to cover the family jewels in nice warm wool. well worth the investement now the cold has arrived :D
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    Been out every frosty morning this week for a couple of hours and not had a hint of frozen willy :lol:
    Been wearing Assos bibs and leg warmers. Think it's most probably down to the Lidl shorts not being that good.
    exercise.png
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I suffered this a couple of times, never resembled a Tesco prawn though!! :wink:
    Bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Gavia Bib tights......Sorted! :D
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • At least I resemble a Waitrose frozen prawn.

Its still as cold, just a little more classy......
    Bianchi c2c Alu Nirone 7 Xenon (2007) Road
    Orange P7 (1999) Road
    Diamond Back Snr Pro (1983) BMX
    Diamond BackSIlver Streak (1983) BMX

Oh, and BMX is the *ultimate* single speed.
  • When cycling in North Yorks over winter this was a real pain. Two solutions: a woolly sock (worked well) or move to North Island, New Zealand.
    I have now put the 'third' sock in the bin, though miss the Mooors
    gerry
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    As already said, good quality bibtights should sort the problem - again I use Assos Airblock over either Assos Mille shorts or 3/4's depending on how cold. They are expensive buy worth every penny IMO. Others will do a similar job for less money though - the DHB's from Wiggle get recommended by many.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    you could use one ofthese things to tackle the problem :lol:
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    You want to try an 8 hour patrol, at -1. Toes, fingers and other extremeties were not happy!

Steel Toe Cap boots are not the best in conducting cold from your toes!
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • Andy140
    Andy140 Posts: 130
    Had experience of this last year - pair of gore windstoper proteam tights solved the problem (huge discount from wiggle as they were last years range, however fantastic clothing)
  • Dude, I had the same problem with my trek 1,7, change the saddle to one which has a cut out down the centre, really helps and the bontrager basic saddle on the 1,7 is pony !
    Worked for me !!
    'We go up we go down, this is bull sh*t yar'
  • Dont ride when it's so bloody cold!!!!!
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    It might be numb nuts that he is getting and makes it worse that it is so cold but I could be guessing :?
  • 996JAT
    It was 8C which aint too cold.

I dont really wanna upgrade parts on the bike as i got my heart on a Madone or Specialized Tarmac.

I'l check out the tights, i was looking and thought they only cover individual legs and not the jewels.

Thanks
    Jat