Specialized size

mobilis
mobilis Posts: 65
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
I'm 5'54'' with inseam 29,5.
I'm seeking for a possible verification for the correct size of the Specialized Sirrus Expert 2009 (or Sirrus 2008 - it has the same geometry), from a current owner.
I'm probably size small. However top tube length of 540mm seems short (for a flatbar bike).
Don't have a dealer in my area.

Thank you

Comments

• Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Really, it depends on how it feels.
  • Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    You could try this bike fit calculator,

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

which will give you a range of different fits for seat tube c-c, c-t, and top tube length.

Then you could compare that to specialized's frame geometries on their website.

I think there are other online fit calculators around though, so maybe you could try a couple. You'll need someone to help you take measurements properly.
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • Onan
    Bear in mind though, that the bike you're looking at will be a compact, so the seat tubes actual length will be shorter than the fitting system tells you you need, and you'll need to look at the effective top tube measurement, not the actual top tube measurement.
  • mobilis
    mobilis Posts: 65
    Onan wrote:
    You could try this bike fit calculator,

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

which will give you a range of different fits for seat tube c-c, c-t, and top tube length.

Then you could compare that to specialized's frame geometries on their website.

I think there are other online fit calculators around though, so maybe you could try a couple. You'll need someone to help you take measurements properly.

Allready done this. Gives proper Top tub length around 61-62 ???
  • Onan
    :shock:

Holy cow, that's big. You say you're 5'5"?

You must have measured something wrong then.
  • nipon
    nipon Posts: 68
    At 5'5 and an inseam of 29.5 a size small sounds like a good starting point, a virtual top tube of 61-62 is way wrong that calculator dousnt work for everyone. 54 sounds more like it.
  • Anyone with similar height to have actually ride the bike?
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I'm 5'8" and ride a road bike with a 52cm top tube and a 10cm stem. I don't have a flatbar but I guess the geometry will be slightly different....... but even so 54cm sounds about the maximum you should be looking at. Can you try the bike because what really matters is how it feels.
  • I'd go for 52cm which is size small. The 54cm, sized medium, will have a top tube of 54cm but you need to be able to sit on the bike and the 54cm might be too big. I used sell Specailized, which helps
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • I agree with most above, you should be getting a virtual top tube figure much lower than 61-62cm!

I'm 5'10" with 31" inseam (so effectively ~39" above the saddle). The French fit for me at that site suggests a top tube length of ~56cm.

Being 5'5" with 29.5" inseam (~35.5" above the saddle), you ought to be looking at a top tube of ~50cm... Unless perhaps you have extra-ordinarily long arms! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MRadd
    MRadd Posts: 205
    52cm definately.
    : "Why don't i remember breaking my face?" :

: Semi Professional Grease Monkey, Full time Tea boy... :
  • I'd go for 52cm which is size small. The 54cm, sized medium, will have a top tube of 54cm but you need to be able to sit on the bike and the 54cm might be too big. I used sell Specailized, which helps

Top tube 52 cm is XS and 54 is S according to Specialized !?
    I stil think 52 is a bit short for my height for a flatbar.(Probably OK for a classic road bike)

So the verdict: Don't buy if you can not test the bike !