stooopid question - glove sizes

johnbhoy
johnbhoy Posts: 61
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
buying gloves online as its getting a bit nippy out for my daily commute.

Just dont know what size to buy.

Is there a size guide anywhere.... i would imainage i am between medium and large.

anyone ??

Comments

• Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Don't know, and I would imagine it varies greatly between brands, so trial and error is probably the only course of action. I would always go for the bigger size if in doubt though.

Due to having apparently freakish proportions, I unfortunately have to wear mens large gloves. Despite being a girl...
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,578
    edited October 2008
    ahahaha, it's a bit of a lottery matey, we ordered some off wiggle for my gf, and used the sizing on the page itself for that glove.

When they arrived, it became evident that they were way too small, and we had to send em back.

Not a huge problem, as not expensive to post a pair of gloves.

If your lucky, like on CRC, there might be some reviews that go into how the sizing works.

Best thing to do is gamble, but be prepared to send em back, maybe even get 2 sizes, knowing you will send one back - if the reduction is enough, and you desperately need some, then it might be worth it.

I ordered some 661 Storms in small from CRC last year, and got lucky, and to use the most appropriate phrase, they fit like a glove, or a pair of gloves if we're being exact :wink:

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You really have to try them out - and its worth it just cos some gloves are really uncomfy !
  • I gave up trying to buy them online, and went to a shop. Much better to try them on!
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    There is a glove size guide ... somewhere :? , can't remember which part of your hand you measure, but it works.

Also you could always nip into your LBS and try a few pair on and see which size fits best then order on-line.

XL always fits me, no matter which brand I buy.
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • The Sealskinz website has this which should be useful if you're thinking of them ....

http://www.sealskinz.com/glove_measure.pdf

Not sure if this applies to other makes at all.
    R25

Ridgeback R25 - 1% bike
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    spot on with try before you buy, got some dhb ones and they are just too small...but I'll live with it, for now

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    R25 Flyer wrote:
    The Sealskinz website has this which should be useful if you're thinking of them ....

http://www.sealskinz.com/glove_measure.pdf

Not sure if this applies to other makes at all.

I discovered that genius little PDF yesterday (currently contemplating the purchase of some SealSkinz Ultra Grips) and as soon as I saw the title of this thread I rushed in here, hoping to be the first to post the link and was instantly disappointed you'd beaten me to it ;)

The guide showed me to be at the upper end of medium but I've always bought XL gloves in the past and I just don't know if I can bring myself to break the habit of a lifetime.
  • Bagman
    Bagman Posts: 311
    AndyManc wrote:
    Also you could always nip into your LBS and try a few pair on and see which size fits best then order on-line.

I used to think that there is something morally wrong with doing this. However, like many people I do it. After all, a few quid saved here and there means you can buy more cycling goodies. What do others think?
  • Jen J
    Bagman wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

I used to think that there is something morally wrong with doing this. However, like many people I do it. After all, a few quid saved here and there means you can buy more cycling goodies. What do others think?

The more that people do that, the more LBS's close down, and then where will you try your gloves on...:)
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Oooh, bang in the middle of medium. Good to know.

(so why do my Enduras feel so tight then??)
  • Splendid. Thanks for all the replies.. Especilly R25 for the handsize guide. This is what I was looking for. Pretty sure this will be fairly generic and going by that I think I will err on the large side. As I am right on the line between med and large.
  • Bagman wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

This is something that I feel quite strongly about. I use the on-line retailers as much as the next man - in fact probably more - but, where it is something that I like to try before I buy (helmet, shoes, gloves, bikes) I always try AND buy from a LBS. The ability to try something for size is a service; you pay for that service by paying a slightly higher price. The gloves that I've just bought are £24 at Wiggle but they cost me £30 at a bike shop. However, I tried on half a dozen different gloves and the ones that I bought in two different sizes. £6 to ensure that I don't waste £24 on a pair of gloves that I'm unhappy with doesn't seem too bad a deal...

_
  • Jen J
    Agreed - I am probably one of wiggle's biggest customers, but at the expense of trying on stuff/knowing exactky what things look like/feel like etc. That's a benefit I'm happy to lose for the price and availability.

However if there is something I know I can easily buy at the LBS (limited range and stock availability) then I would always go there. And if you use any service from the LBS, whether it's trying clothes on or trying out bikes - if they sell the item, then buy it from there, nowhere else. Even if you can get it cheaper online.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Gloves always seem to come up small. XL gloves fit me always.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Jen J wrote:
    Bagman wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

The more that people do that, the more LBS's close down, and then where will you try your gloves on...:)

My LBS has taken thousands off me in new bikes, trailers and free service 'extras'.

I know my glove size (I've not noticed brand size difference) and quite often I wouldn't make many of the purchases I make on the net if the price wasn't reasonable, I certainly wouldn't have bought workstand costing £85 in the shops when I can get it from Wiggle for £45.

There is a balance to find, from supporting your LBS to paying stupid money for overpriced cycle gear many LBS are making a packet on, just look at the growth in national cycle chains like Evans.

Its also the case that your LBS will stock only a small range and give little choice.
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png