What size frame?

SpaceBadger
SpaceBadger Posts: 113
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
My better half is buying me a hybrid for xmas :D just wondering what size frame people reckon I'd need...I'm 5ft 10. Obviously I'm going to go to an LBS and check some out but just wanted to have an idea to start with...any help much appreciated.

Cheers
"I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    They vary a lot. Some have a comapact design, some don't and many are measured differently. You really need to treat them all individually and ideally have a go and/or get measured up.

That said, if it's a Trek then 54cm.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Tempestas
    Tempestas Posts: 486
    I find this site really useful:

www.bikefitting.com

I think some of the better shops have a jig setup which measures you, it may be free if you buy a bike but not sure as my local shop that had it shut down :cry:
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    as above - you need to try them really - but I'd say you were borderline size 54 or 56 in most manufacturers frames.

I find that reach is more important than the height as the saddle height is easily adjustable - cutting an inch off the top-tube of the frame is a little more difficult to achieve!
  • Thanks for the link Tempestas, will try to measure my inside leg at work without looking dodgy :roll:

Am going to have a test of a few anyway before deciding but prefer having an idea of size before I go. Thanks guys.
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Get yourself measured first. Can't emphasise this enough.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Having been round a few shops with a mate after his first road bike recently I wouldn't bank on them either knowing or caring what size you should buy.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.