Fitting Pedals

carl_p
carl_p Posts: 989
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Right I think I'm ready to take the plunge and go clipless. Shimano A520 the likely kit.

But are they easy to fit, do I need a pedal wrench, or will a normal spanner do the job?

I'm also considering fitting them to my MTB first so I can get used to clipping in and out in case of the inevitable fall as I would be upset to scratch or scrape my roadie! Good idea or not?

Thanks.
Specialized Venge S Works
Cannondale Synapse
Enigma Etape
Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

Comments

• rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I did mine recently. Check before you buy - my new ones went on with an Allen key. You might need to buy a pedal spanner to get the old ones off, however. The difference between a pedal spanner and a 'normal' spanner is width - there's not much gap between the pedal and the crank, so you need a thin spanner to get in there. But you should be able to work that out before you buy anything too. Chances are if you can get the old ones off with a spanner you already own, you can get the new ones on.
  • Be careful taking the old pedals off. Put the chain on biggest chainring at the front just in case your hand slips (a lesson learned through experience :oops: )

And don't forget each pedal loosens a different way. My Shimano clipless have a very useful arrow on them that says "tighten" so you know which way to go.
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.
  • if there's no arrow remember:

right tightens right
    left tightens left

and the pedals will have an R and an L on somewhere.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    if there's no arrow remember:

right tightens right
    left tightens left

and the pedals will have an R and an L on somewhere.
    I was going to point that out but you beat me to it.

I remember it as - the thread on the right pedal is 'right' (i.e. normal) and the thread on the left is 'wrong'.

I'd also point out that it is very easy to cut your knuckles on the big chainring if the spanner slips when undoing pedals. Having done that a couple of times, I now use my foot on the spanner and carefully press it down towards the floor. It's also easier to get a decent force on the spanner if a pedal is stuck.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Gardening gloves.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Gardening gloves.
    I haven't got a garden :wink: !
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    Also apply some grease to the threads, pedals have a horrible habit of seizing in the cranks.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Some really useful tips. Cheers guys.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    If you loosen your pedals by 'pulling' on the spanner, your knuckles wont hit the chainring should the spanner slip! :wink:
    Use an allen key to tighten your new A520 pedals, after applying a light coating of grease to the threads.
    Read the instructions and set the pedals to 'minimum' tension for your first rides. This makes it easier to unclip in a hurry!
    Tighten them as you become more confident.
    I wouldn't put them on your MTB, if you take it offroad, as they're not designed for mud and sh!te!
    After fitting the pedals, get on your bike, and while holding a post, or fence, practice unclipping. It's not that difficult. Try to avoid traffic lights and junctions on your first ride! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!