700c mudguards on 26" wheels

amaferanga
amaferanga Posts: 6,789
edited December 2008 in Commuting chat
Will this work? I want some mudguards on my mtb commuting bike, but all the mtb mudguards are way too wide for the 1" slicks on my mtb. I can't see why it wouldn't work, but has anyone tried this?

Thanks.
More problems but still living....

Comments

• don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    I suspect you could make it work with SKS Chromoplastics, but it would look pretty damned ugly.

I'm fairly sure SKS do a narrow 26" guard, have you checked on t'internet?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    They do indeed, I got mine from ribble.

Narrowest is 35mm, I have them over 28mm tyres, then they go up, something like 42, 45, 50 etc etc, you get the idea.

Ribble were the cheapest by far, something like £14 + P&P.

If you choose the ones witha mudflap, you also get a whopping great big reflector on the rear one, I went without, but went for ones with the mudflap for my girlfriends commuter bike.

EDIT: Here's the link, but they've gone up quite a bit, I think with all the various discounts mine came in at under £12 (Back in May):http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=SKSAMUDR200

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • amaferanga
    Daniel B wrote:
    EDIT: Here's the link, but they've gone up quite a bit, I think with all the various discounts mine came in at under £12 (Back in May):http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=SKSAMUDR200
    Dan

Aren't those road mudguards for 700c wheels? It doesn't say they're for 26" and AFAIK the P35 are road (700c) only.
  • daniel_b
    True enough, but I didn't think you could get narrow 26" guards, and will these really be any different in the fitting stakes?

Isn't the fit determined by how you fit the supports, and how you tension them?

Maybe best to ask in an LBS.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • don_don
    Looks like I was wrong, I can't find any reference to 26" SKS guards that are less than 55mm wide.

I'd still be surprised if no-one makes anything suitable. LBS as DB says or maybe some more interweb research?

Cheers
  • daniel_b
    Yup just had a look too, I bought my 60mm guards for my Carrera from Spa cycles, and all they do is 60mm ones in a 26" denomination.

I think my tyres are only 1", and it is overkill, but if your not worried about looks, then it gives more comprehensive cover after all.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • don_don
    Just a thought. I have cut down SKS guards with a hack-saw before, not to shorten them but to make them fit an odd frame. They can also be drilled easily and attached with a bolt and washer if necessary.

Maybe you could try this with the 35's if you don't mind doing a bit of 'surgery'?

The poster accepts no responsibilty for damage or injury resulting from the use of hack-saws. Always wear protective clothing and ask an adult for help if necessary
  • amaferanga
    I've got some P35s on another bike so I think I'll just have to experiment. Spent ages googling and haven't find any really narrow 26" mudguards.
  • amaferanga
    For anyone interested, I think I've found some narrow 26" mudguards. Haven't got round to buying them yet, but they look like decent mudguards:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=9498&categoryID=154