That was odd....

hondafanatic
hondafanatic Posts: 213
edited November 2008 in Commuting chat
Morning all,

On the way into work this morning I found myself having a unexpected conversation with a driver on the merits of overtaking cars whilst cycling.

Rather than repeat verbatim, the executive summary would be:

Apparently, I shouldn't be doing it.

Of course, the driver made her feelings on this matter very clear, despite me not wanting a protracted conversation, by opening her car window and hurling abuse as I was overtaking her at 30mph.

As in all these kinds of situations whether I'm cycling, walking or driving, I just gave a big thumbs up, smiled and said;

'You're ace you are; I wish I was as ace as you'.

This tends to wind people up a lot more than hurling abuse back. Try it if you've never done so. To retaliate with anger justifies their actions, where as, showing a non-plus attitude really gets their goat.

At which point she then began to slow down for the stationary traffic ahead of her while I continued to filter.

As you were.

David
<insert witty comment here>

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.

Comments

• Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Morning all,

On the way into work this morning I found myself having a unexpected conversation with a driver on the merits of overtaking cars whilst cycling.

Of course, the driver made her feelings on this matter very clear, despite me not wanting a protracted conversation, by opening her car window and hurling abuse as I was overtaking her at 30mph.

As in all these kinds of situations whether I'm cycling, walking or driving, I just gave a big thumbs up, smiled and said;

This tends to wind people up a lot more than hurling abuse back. Try it if you've never done so. To retaliate with anger justifies their actions, where as, showing a non-plus attitude really gets their goat.

At which point she then began to slow down for the stationary traffic ahead of her while I continued to filter.

As you were.

David

Dammit, I've started my day with coffee on the keyboard again! :lol:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Morning all,

As you were.

David

You're ace you are; I wish I was as ace as you.
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007

I think the SCR squad would approve :)

I can imagine the laughs from her colleagues as she rants about being overtaken by a cyclist, what cheek!
  • Good work David! I like your style...

:lol:
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    If, you haven't got the time for that line, then a cheezy grin, thumbs up and "well done!" is quite effective too.
  • jedster wrote:
    If, you haven't got the time for that line, then a cheezy grin, thumbs up and "well done!" is quite effective too.

100% agree...i just had a bit more time on my hands on this occasion. The 'Well Done' is useful when driving as people can lip read it with relative ease.
    <insert witty comment here>

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    I go for a BTU (Big Thumbs Up) and a cheesy grin. I only wish I could get the opportunity to say "You're ace you are..." :lol:
    Today is a good day to ride
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Always blow a kiss and wiggle your arse at them. They love it.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • don_don
    symo wrote:
    Always blow a kiss and wiggle your ars* at them. They love it.

Not sure I want to try that with White Van Man :shock:
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    don_don wrote:
    symo wrote:

Especially with the pent up homophobes.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Always blow a kiss and give them a little smooch - especially van drivers, but I love "your ace you are!" Brilliant.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    No law against filtering - I've looked and can find nothing on it apart from the Highway code that says to be careful.
  • don_don wrote:
    symo wrote:

don_don why is your heart not a broken one? or did something happen which we don't know about?
  • don_don
    don_don wrote:
    symo wrote:

don_don why is your heart not a broken one? or did something happen which we don't know about?

The power of positive thinking woodford, the power of positive thinking.

Its only a matter of time old chap, once the plastic surgeon has my Chris Hoy facial reconstruction worked out :wink: (See Vicky Pendleton thread)

In the meantime, no harm in spreading the love to all who want or need it! 8)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm with most of you guys. Let them scream and rant at you. As I get older I really don't
    care what people call me or say about me from passing cars. Just give them a smile and maybe a kiss and continue on you way. Although it does seem to really make them even madder at you when you do it. And that's not good but what the hell, why not.

Dennis Noward
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    dennisn wrote:
    I'm with most of you guys. Let them scream and rant at you. As I get older I really don't
    care what people call me or say about me from passing cars. Just give them a smile and maybe a kiss and continue on you way. Although it does seem to really make them even madder at you when you do it. And that's not good but what the hell, why not.

Dennis Noward

You know if you sat in traffic they'd still get angry - you'd be taking up their place in the queue as they see it. :lol:
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Worse thing, when they bust a gut to overtake you...50 metres further down the road, a car wanting to turn right, leaving a gap - which most people could drive a tank through... They pull into the kerb and just sit there looking hapless! Oncoming traffic, carries on oncoming - usually laughing at me having a chunter to myself "you mate are a muppet!" at the back of the car, while they look in the rearview mirror. "What is up with the muppet on the bike?" :lol: