4 mile urban commute clothing

lizro
lizro Posts: 30
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Hi everyone - I'm new to this forum and to commuting to work. I am starting a new job on Monday and plan to ride the 8 miles round trip - I have been driving 34 miles roundtrip for 11 yrs! I will obviously need to wear 'suitable for the weather' clothing but will I get away with wearing my work clothes underneath? I am a fairly sedate rider and have 1 easy hill at the start then it will be level. Do you tend to change all your clothes when you get to work?

Comments

• It all depends how energetic you are - the sweat factor, if you will. 4 miles is not so far, and - if you are a fairly sedate rider - you should just about get away without a change of clothes.

I commute the exact same distance in my office clothes, but then I don't have much choice because of a lack of facilities at my office. If I cycle too fast (I don't tend to hold back, and have a big hill in my commute), I find that I am red-faced and a bit sweaty for the first twenty minutes at my desk. I can accept that, as I arrive in a much better mood because of the cycle.
  • knight2k
    knight2k Posts: 119
    Sounds like a very similar commute to mine except I start with a ferocious downhill to start and then flat after that for the rest of the way. Work clothes should be fine so long as you cover your hands and ears in this weather.

If I'm riding the either the racer or touring bike I'll tend to go for baggy shorts and knee warmers to protect the work trousers from the exposed chain. There's no need with the Booze Bike, which I've ridden in today, as it has a full chain guard.

You'll know soon enough if it's the right clothing and adapt accordingly.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    What's the dress code at your new job?

Friend of mine does a 7 mile round trip on flat cycle paths in his work trousers with his shirt and tie in his panniers. Keeps his suit jacket in his office. He cried off the commuting when the weather got sucky, but I think he's going with waterproof overtrousers to get back into it. Well, that's what I've been pestering him to do anyway :)

I do an 18 mile round trip. I travel in lycra and go pretty much flat out* so I'm in desperate need of a shower and change at work, for the sake of my colleagues. I keep jeans in work and bring the rest of the day's clothes in my backpack. We've maybe 8-10 regular cyclists here and most of them do the same as me.

* I mean I don't try at all, because trying would be racing, and it's definitely not a race.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Speedos.
    Flip Flops.
    Chest Wig.
    Gold medallion.
    Aviator Sunglasses.
    Job done.
    <insert witty comment here>

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.
  • girv73
    @hondafanatic got pics?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Speedos.
    Flip Flops.
    Chest Wig.
    Gold medallion.
    Aviator Sunglasses.
    Job done.

that somes up our dress code!

Anyhoo, I do a similar distance (with a train splitting the middle) and take trousers in a bag and wear either shorts or trackies, depending on the weather, as work trews can get oily / dirty / wet, etc. And might be a good idea to keep shoes at work and wear bike shoes or trainers.

Top half can be work stuff for that distance, if you take it easy, although summer is a problem if it's ever hot again...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • girv73 wrote:
    @hondafanatic got pics?

Youuuuuuuu wish.

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.
  • girv73
    girv73 wrote:
    @hondafanatic got pics?

Youuuuuuuu wish.

Actually, I was going to ask if you wanted any.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Get a rack and pannier then change at work. you won't beed a shower but changing at work means:

- if it rains you can still cycle
    - you won't wear out the seat on your work trousers
    - if you get a littel sweaty a change of clothes freshens you up

I have a six mile commute and this works for me. I hate backpacks as they make my back sweaty, hence the pannier suggestion. £30 was well worth it - can even stop on teh way home for some shopping then.
  • girv73 wrote:
    girv73 wrote:
    @hondafanatic got pics?

Youuuuuuuu wish.

Actually, I was going to ask if you wanted any.

With or without beard? Beard itch! :shock: I've said too much.

• Baby wipes work a treat for those days when you might get just a little sweaty.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • girv73
    With or without beard? Beard itch! :shock: I've said too much.

Au contraire! Please, do go on, my dear 8)
  • Hey Finbar....can I borrow some of those babywipes. I may need them. :shock: