any (semi or full) recumbent riders?

bobpzero
bobpzero Posts: 1,431
edited November 2008 in Road general
im still new to recumbent riding,been riding a few months on a bikeE ct. so id like to hear from the recumbent riders who hav a load more experience than i do.

Comments

• steve watkin
    steve watkin Posts: 40
    edited October 2008
    What do you want to know ? I have some experience having owned the following 'bents
    Trice Classic
    Speed Ross
    Bevo
    Oke Ja (spelling ?)
    Optima Dragon
    Ryan
    And now using a Bacchetta Cafe
    Plus various DFs over the last few years.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    The BikeE is a good competent entry recumbent, and i don't mean that in a derogatory sense.

It has good handling, is comfortable and will carry luggage.

Is there any specific area you require advice, or wish to discuss?
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • bobpzero
    dare i say guys and grrls who ride recumbents seem to be in the severe minority. anyways i really wantd to know if there was any recumbent riders out there, somewhere & to see what recumbent they ride. the rear hub i have on my ct is almost unknown, would like to know how to keep it in good maintenance if anything.
  • There's a lot more of us than you think, it's just that we are such a quiet and retiring type of person !!
    Can you be a bit more descriptive if the hub you have ? Is it a derailleur and 3 speed hub combined ? If so I think it's this:-

Derailleur: Sram 3.0
    Shifters: SRAM 3x7 Twist Shifters
    Crankset: Cold Forged 44T with dual chainring guard
    Cluster 11-30T
    21 Speed: Sram 3-speed internal hub with 7-speed cluster
    Gear Range: 23-108 gear inches

This info came from:- http://www.bikee.org
    Should be able to find lots more info on the web, just google "bike e"
    Lots of 'bent riders hang out here:- http://www.bhpc.org.uk/forum/
    There also seems to be a fair bit of 'bent traffic on here :- http://forum.ctc.org.uk/ in the "Non-standard, Human Powered Vehicles" section.
  • bobpzero
    yes 3 speed hub combined.

"There's a lot more of us than you think, it's just that we are such a quiet and retiring type of person !!" yep a maximum total of 3 bikeE riders in ireland & maybe 10 bent riders.
    i startd off as a roadie then really wantd a pashley pdq but made do with the bikeE ct.
    only kids and old people comment about the bikeE, which is an incredible difference from the grave silence u get when riding a usual road bike.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Many of us see recumbents as simply "cycles" and not a separate tribe, hence the experiences and posts on here reflect that in the apparent anonymity..

Personally I bought a Linear in 1991 and then a Peter Ross Trice in 1994. This was joined over the years by a Challenge Hurricane and an HPVelotechnik Street Machine.

I upgraded the Trice to a Catrike Expedition about eighteen months ago and sold the Linear.

I now tend to commute on the Catrike and use the Street Machine as a run around.or tourer if rail travel is concerned.

I should say that my Hurricane is a lot earlier than the one in t he image as it was one of the early ones with elastomer suspension.

E1_JPG.jpg

gt_2002_blau_frei.jpg

Challenge-Hurricane_Tour.jpg
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)