Shimano or SRAM ?

pirwin1
pirwin1 Posts: 248
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
Ok, this is quite likely to spark up some arguments! Shimano or SRAM ?

I I am thinking either shimano XT rapdfire shifters with XT rear derailleur (whats the difference between shadow and normal?)

or

SRAM X.9 shifters and rear derailleur. One advantage with SRAM would be that I could then use the matchmaker clamps to hold shifters, avid brake levers and rockshox pushloc and have nice tidy bars.

I don't need a front derailleur as I already have one.

I have heard that the shifting on SRAM is much more immediate but derailleur not as durable?

I await your opinions and brand loyalty statements!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    XT is cheaper - not really a dirct comparison.

Shadow is a low profile mech, that dodges rocks better.

Personal preference.
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    ive only ever used shimano, my last bike had an lx then xt rear mech

my new bike has sram x9 and its the best uve ever used. Id not buy shimano again in a hurry
  • Dilker
    Dilker Posts: 88
    It's all very subjective... I run X.0 rear and shifters, and a XTR front. No problems so far, i'll remain that way for some time i should think.
    'to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift' Steve Prefontaine

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race" H.G.Wells
  • i have XT rear mech and shifter but im debating on wheter to change to x.9's
    Go big or go home!!

dmr exalt
    fitbike team park bmx
    both my custom jobbys :D:D
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2915789/
  • I have full xt on my Lobster and x7 on my Tyax, SRAM is quieter and less maintenance, XT is lighter shifting and you can downshift multiple cogs with one push. You pays your money and takes your choice.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • I'm rapidly losing confidence in Shimano.

The shifting on my rear mech has never been good. Shifting to certain gears down the cassette I nearly always have to double shift to get a response from the mech (ie when releasing cable).

I put this down to either a dirty cable or a cheap cable. I replaced the cable yesterday with a deore one, and the old one was manky in parts, so I thought the new cable would sort the problem. Has it bollocks.

I still have to double shift. The indexing is perfect as up the cassette into lower gears it clicks in instantly.

I think I'm going to replace the outers, possibly using a slightly longer length in the case of the seatstay to mech section, and if this doesn't sort it I think I'll try SRAM.

I've come to live with this problem, and it doesn't cause me too much bother, but it's a problem that shouldn't really exist.
  • supersonic
    Check the cable runs smooth by hand. Often burrs when cutting, or poorly fitting ferrules can seriously add resistance. Unless the spring is really knackered, it is always cables in these instances (assuming gears are set up correctly, and all equipment is working properly!)
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    I run Sram on all my bikes now (bar the roady which is campag) I prefer the Sram because the ratio is better when things get gloopy. But saying that it is personal preference at the end of the day. I just find I get less ghost shifting with Sram and it'll last all day with no worries in some real nasty conditions.
    But the best upgrade I've done is to switch to Flying snake cables.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • TBH I think the mech may be a bit knackered. With the cable disconnected the mech doesn't seem to return that easily when I push against the spring. I took the mech off and greased the surfaces between the hanger and the mech, but it still doesn't seem to spring back that positively.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    ratty2k wrote:

But the best upgrade I've done is to switch to Flying snake cables.

Flying Snakes sealed cables really are godly things indeed :D:D
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yep - get good cables.

Anyway I think that shimano XT is excellent. I currently run SRAM X7/X9 - it's OK but shimano is smoother & better quality I reckon.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Personal preference, but Sram shifters and mechs are better.
  • supersonic
    in your opinion lol ;-). I think shimano are better made. Imo..
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Either one maintained and set up right is better than the other if it's not... 9/10 of all gripes about gears are user error or damage anyway. They both work, get the one you like the colour of :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Personally I prefer Shimano, just didn't get on with SRAM. I am tempted to try X9 grip shifters though if i can get a good deal....... is that sad???
  • I had to make the same choice only the other week. I went for the XT in the end, although I haven't given them any proper punishment yet I found them easy to set up, they seem to function well, look nice and I can use my old LX shifters and mech as spares better.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Also have the option to remove the gear indicator window on XT if you want to run your shifters and brakes the other way round
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    SRAM > SHIMANO