Good lights at a good price?

The HutcH
The HutcH Posts: 107
edited November 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi there. Im looking to buy a decent set of lights to use throughout the winter as the evenings get dark now. I don't want to spend loads on a set, around the £30 mark if possible. Has anyone got any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not much at that money: have a look at the Tesco 3w cree thread if want maximum brightness, or for commuting a twin pack set from cateye.
  • The HutcH
    What are the Cateye sets like? I have heard they are good.
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    good at being seen, but not that good at being able to see
  • supersonic
    Used them for years when commuting. Well made, easy to fit, last ages, and quite bright.
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    Rumour is, that supersonic bought a 900 lumen torch for 25.00 :lol:

So thats under your 30.00 budget, and you will have cars telling you to turn your lights down.
  • The HutcH
    What are the Cateye sets like? I have heard they are good.
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    Johnsav has said they are good at being seen but not good for lighting the path

Spend an extra 10enner and get a fenix light.
  • The HutcH
    yh but it works out a lot more when you get a bike adaptor for the fenix light unless there is another way of fitting them .
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    canada16 wrote:
    Rumour is, that supersonic bought a 900 lumen torch for 25.00 :lol:

So thats under your 30.00 budget, and you will have cars telling you to turn your lights down.

Not quite more like 650, but a car has flashed me before, helmet light is handy for any driver that pushes their luck. ;)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    You can a torch (or two), batteries, charger and a mount from deal extreme for less than £30, It's delivered from Hong Kong but delivery is free.
  • The HutcH
    I really just need a good front light.
  • supersonic
    Just for commutung? Or do you want to light up the trail? Are you prepared to do some DIY to fit a torch? If the former just get any LED for a bik, as said, cateye are fool proof. If the latter, the torch option is the only way at 30 quid.
  • The HutcH
    What Lumen power would you recommend? Has anyone heard of the Blackburn voyager light range? thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it.
  • The HutcH
    I want to be able to light trails.
  • The HutcH
    yh i woundnt mind doing a bit of D.I.Y to get a good light setup.
  • supersonic
    Only option really is to go to tesco and buy a couple of their 3 watt torches and some rechargable batteries (and charger) and mount them on your bars at that price.

For a tenner more this will do:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7221
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    For your budget - get two Tesco AA torches for £20.

One on your helmet with elastic bands/zip tie/velcro/hairband.
    Other with the lock block £6.

You'll be seen and light up the trails. Battery life is about 2 hours tho - so take spares.
  • One of the guys on the STW forum,was reccomending the 230lumen Trustfire TR801 on deal extreme.
    If you buy their Ultrafire charger and a 2 pack of 18650 2500mah batteries it comes in under £25.
    You could then ziptie to your bars or helmet or buy a twofish lockblck for £7.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you're doing trails - I'd deffo go with two lights - then if you have one fail - you can still see where you are. If you just have the one and lose that - then its sods law you're on a tricky bit.
  • Bought a twin halogen light set by Smart for my bike in the end, just gave them a go, they are brill, really light up the road. My local bike shop had got a deal on, they where £70 and i got them for £35. Get in!
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    The HutcH wrote:
    Bought a twin halogen light set by Smart for my bike in the end, just gave them a go, they are brill, really light up the road. My local bike shop had got a deal on, they where £70 and i got them for £35. Get in!

I'd get a tesco torch (batteries inc) aswell for a tenner and fasten to your HELMET. Helps

to see the twisty bits of track.
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • Yh good idea although these twin halogen lights provide plenty of light, thanks for the advice.
  • The HutcH wrote:
    Bought a twin halogen light set by Smart for my bike in the end, just gave them a go, they are brill, really light up the road. My local bike shop had got a deal on, they where £70 and i got them for £35. Get in!

Are they the ones with the lead acid battery? I've used those- heavy due to the battery, but reliable and a nice yellow light.
  • If they are the lead acid version, you can pick up a spare battery from maplins for less than a fiver.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Nah its the Ni-cad set. Here is a picture of my Dawes with the lights fitted on1hwhg7.jpg