Carrera Kraken 08 or Carrera Fury 08

rjbonnell
rjbonnell Posts: 170
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am in the middle of buying a new Mountain Bike and struggling to choose between 2 Carrera models (getting one at the weekend).

Frist off is the Carrera Kraken 08 Model, seems pretty good value to me, only thing I am worried about is the Suntour fork not lasting too long, and the slightly lower spec than my next choice.

Second is the Carrera Fury 08 Model, which has a higher spec than the Kraken, being fitted with a Rockshox Tora 316 front fork and slightly better components.

There is not much in it cost wise, so thats not a problem.

One worry I have is that I have read on the internet that the 07 model of the Fury suffered from alot of flex?? Does anyone know if the 08 model is the same or has it been improved upon?

My reason for asking is I am not the smallest rider in the world (16st), and I need a pretty strong bike I can rely on, and one thats not going to be all over the place.

Can anyone offer any advice on this? Any Kraken or Fury owners out there?

Any advice is much appreciated

Comments

• RockyHopperShow
    RockyHopperShow Posts: 271
    edited October 2008
    Just had a quick gander at the "updated" Halfords website at it seems the Fury is £130 more than the Kracken which is quite a lot really. But if this isn't an issue then go for the Fury as, from all reports, this is a very good bike with exeptional value for money. The Tora 318 fork has inners from a more expensive fork too (if I am correct Mr Blackspur?)
    As for your weight, it is true that the seatstays on the Fury are quite slim but should easily handle 16st (that's not all that heavy anyway)

Go for the Fury, I don't think you will be disappointed and if you can purchase it via the Cycle2Work scheme so much the better.
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    id go for the fury.. good reviews
  • rjbonnell
    Thanks for your input so far :)
  • rjbonnell
    Bump :)
  • i nearly bought a cararrera fury '08 but then spotted the boardman range, i think the fury is fairly good value for money and probably the lowest spec i'd go for now.

its a fairly decent spec and is worth buying as it's what i'd class as a "real bike" as in it actually gives performance instead some metal with 2 wheels and pedals as the £200 bikes seem to be.
    I was looking at the fury as i think it had lockout suspension which i was insistant on at the time of looking, will give you good speed on the road but you can take it off the road if you wish in relative comfort