Shimano gear shifters.

patchb
patchb Posts: 17
edited January 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Right I'm a bit stuck as to how the gear cables fit into the shifters on my Giant XTC Se. My cable snapped and ive got a new one to put in, took the adjuster off with the little spring in and it appears as if the cable should just push in, but it won't go in. Not sure if the old cable end is still in there, if it is how would i go about getting it out, and how does the new cable fit in? Cheers

PS they are rapidfire shifters.
My Rides:

2006 Giant XTC SE
Goodridge braided hoses y0!

2005 Proper Houdini

2000 Aprilia RS50

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    have a look here for your shifter, there are exploded diagrams (search for shift lever in the drop down menu): http://www.shimanoservicecentre.co.uk/e ... _parts.php

There is a screw in-between the two shift levers, this covers where the cable threads into the shifter (for most Shimano shifters)

This may also help: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=117
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • patchb
    Ah right, judging by that i have Deore mega 9's ill take the cover off and have a look. Cheers for that mate.
    My Rides:

2006 Giant XTC SE

2005 Proper Houdini

2000 Aprilia RS50
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Don't take the cover off. just put into 9th Small and then remove the Cross head plug. remove the remains of the old cable and fit the new.

Remove the top cover and be prepared to buy a new shifter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    nicklouse wrote:

Agreed.....unless you have very deft little fingers and loads of luck gettings springs to behave themselves!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • patchb
    It's alright i've done it now, never realised there was a screw there. I did take the top cover off but didnt touch anything inside, just so i had an idea of where the cable went, put it back together and it shifts fine now. Cheers guys.
    My Rides:

2006 Giant XTC SE

2005 Proper Houdini

2000 Aprilia RS50
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cee wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Agreed.....unless you have very deft little fingers and loads of luck gettings springs to behave themselves!
    Or know what you are doing. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • OK Nick (or anyone else for that matter!), do you know what you're doing? I mentioned in a post a couple of weeks ago that I was riding along, went for a gearchange and the bottom dropped off the shifter and all the innards fell out. I've having a go at putting everything back together and on the face of it nothing appears to be broken, just all on the table instead of attached to the bike. The exploded view on the Shimano website is useless as it only shows how to remove the screws and the outer casing. Does anyone have a better one? Or is it just time for a new shifter?
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It's not difficult to take the outer casing off (requires a bit of gentle twisting ususally) and I've had the indicator pods apart to clean the windows which always seem to attract the muck. I wouldn't attempt to take the main shift unit apart though, far too many springs, I had enough fun replacing the outer plate on my rear mech last week and that only involved one big spring. Post of a pic of your shifter bits. My guess would be that if the actual innards are apart something has broken.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result