Chain Suck

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited November 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
This may sound like a completely rediculous question but is there a fast and solid solution to stop chain suck when out on a dark, wet, cold, muddy ride?

I was out last night and I began suffering with chain-suck. Every 8-10 spins of the pedals and "GRAUNCH!" the chain was jamming. A hard back pedal solved it each time but it really knocked my confidence in the bike and pedalling became tedious and slow with apprehension of it happening again and again - which it did!

So any solutions? Or is it just get back home to wash and re-lube the drivetrain?

Cheers for any help and advice.
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    replace the worn out parts.
    make sure the chain is not damaged.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • TonyWard
    TonyWard Posts: 149
    I have been searching on this as well as had the problem extensively in a muddy Crowthorne Autumn classic yesterday.

These two seem to be useful

http://fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hub.html
  • xgeek
    xgeek Posts: 117
    I had my first experience of chain suck yesterday. Only had my bike a month and only done about 250 miles, so I would be very surprised if it has worn parts already?

The incident almost threw me over the top of the handle bars :shock: I am sure if I had not been clipped in I would of ended up in a heap on the floor :?

My bike was minging and I had been riding through Eppring forest in deep sludge when it happened, so I am hoping it was down to how full of gunk the chain and front and rear mech were rather than a mechanical failure.

Everything is now nice and clean again and all lubed up so will have to wait until Saturday to test.
  • TonyWard
    I had a look at mine tonight after reading the websites I referred above. No doubt there is definite "hooked" profile on the granny and some extent middle ring and a fair few of the rear cogs. The bike has had about 40 hours of hardish offroad riding. Is that normal - I have no real idea but would have thought they would last longer than that?
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    xgeek wrote:
    I had my first experience of chain suck yesterday. Only had my bike a month and only done about 250 miles, so I would be very surprised if it has worn parts already?

I wouldn't, especially if the chainring is a middle Shimano one (made of cheese) and a Shimano chain. They're complete crap and wear out in not time.

Sram chains and Blackspire or Middleburn rings every time now for me.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • xgeek
    xgeek Posts: 117
    dave_hill wrote:
    xgeek wrote:

I wouldn't, especially if the chainring is a middle Shimano one (made of cheese) and a Shimano chain. They're complete crap and wear out in not time.

Sram chains and Blackspire or Middleburn rings every time now for me.

I am using a KMC X9 chain from Merlin and my crankset is a Truvativ Firex something or other.

Have looked on CRC for Middleburn rings but there are soooo many and I have no idea what one I need to buy.

Many thanks
    XG
  • Right, to get the right rings, you need then number of arms basically. Then buy the appropriate holed rings, I use middleburn slickshift hardcoat rings. Never worn one out yet :wink:
  • and because I'm nice to you, but not your wallet:

posh rings

you want the 4bolt options, choose the number of teeth to match the current ones.
  • TonyWard
    and presumably a new chain and rear cassette at the same time?