Suitability of Sutra

Yecomb
Yecomb Posts: 26
edited November 2008 in Tour & expedition
I like the look of the Kona Sutra but was wondering why no mudguards and can they be fitted. Anyone have one of these bikes?

I'm thinking mudguards would be nice on a tourer. Not so bothered on my mtb.

I really like the idea of something more flexible than a Dawes Galaxy etc that has a little more option offroad. Maybe even just to have a little offroad ride on a rest day. Does this fit the bill or is it no better than the usual tourer?

Any thoughts, positive or negative or alternatives would be welcome

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    (In lieu of an answer from someone with a Sutra). From the photos it looks like the front should have the normal fittings and could take a mudguard. The rear is a bit different because the rack sits higher than usual - however I've seen a thread about fitting other racks which suggests that there is the normal braze-on just above the axle.

You could try calling paligap the distributors. Even if the sutra doesn't have the normal fittings you could put SKS raceguards on.

Alternatively, depending on what, you want, you could look at getting a cross or an audax bike and fitting a rack and other kit. If you want to go down the disc brake and off-road route then you could build up a bike using an 'Inbred' frame from www.on-one.co.uk.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    One of my mother in laws friends has one of these. It does have mud guards.
    She is happy with it, it's done a little light touring and is in use for CTC-esque activities
    Don't know why you think it might be a more "off road" bike than other tourers
    It's USP is the disc brakes but disc brakes don't imply off road
  • Yecomb
    Yecomb Posts: 26
    All the Kona advertising blurb and the review on this site suggest it's designed to handle rougher tracks.

Anyway, thanks for the replies but I bought a Super Galaxy. Thought I'd go with the tried and trusted. Most on here seem happy with theirs and I'm sure it'll cope with where I fancy going.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    There is a bikeradar review here - it says it has full mudguard mounts:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... a-08-29159
  • Rob_L
    Rob_L Posts: 34
    I bought a Sutra earlier this year having had a Raleigh Randonneur for the last 15 years. The Sutra is heavier, and more robustly built than the Raleigh -it reminds me of early Kona mountaibikes. I've just had a weekend touring in the Lakes and went over some very rough tracks that it handled fine.

You can fit mudguards by the way.

I love this bike, my only gripe was the time it took for delivery which was a few months.