Pinarello FP5, new to road cycling, any good?

jojo90
jojo90 Posts: 178
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

I have been riding MTBs and cyclocross for some time now and have recently become friends with a roadie (shock horror :D). Anyhow with winter setting in my morning XC rides in the local woods has turned into a mud-fest so I'm going to try the roads for a while.

Bikes are cool, bling bikes are even better :). I have seen a Pinarello FP5 and am sorely tempted. Not knowing anything bout road bikes is this a good choice?

It would be ridden most of the winter and on club rides so that leaves two concerns
1) Will it hold up to the British weather? imo bikes are to be ridden and enjoyed - my recent carbon MTB is already looking worn!
2) Will I look like some form of ponce showing up to a club ride on it? I love bikes but can see how a newbie turning up on one might look (likely in full MTB gear cos he's broke!). Having said that I'm pretty fit and road riding can't be all that hard ;) *runs away..*

Comments

• The pinarello FP5 is a beautiful bike. I'm about to pick up the earlier model some time this week... an F3:13... I can't wait!! :D:o I certainly am not getting it with the intention of riding it in poor weather. Fair enough if I'm stuck in the odd shower...

My thoughts are that if you've already got a MTB, you're not exactly a beginner. But have you seen the FP1? Probably close to half the price, yet it looks beautiful also.

I don't think you'lll look like a ponce on it. If you get a Prince, then yes you will. :wink:

But I'd seriously consider the FP1 also if you like Pinarellos ... you may find that you even get more looks 'cause you're on a Pinarello without all the curvy parts!
  • FP5 is a very good bike, but yes you will look like you have more money than sense if you turn up to a wet club ride with it. Do yourself and your mates a favour and get a cheap winter hack with mudguards - these plenty about, save the FP5 for the summer
  • jojo90
    jojo90 Posts: 178
    good advice, thanks :)

I guess road bikes don't hold up too well in the wet? On the flip side seems a shame to not ride such a nice bike whatever the weather! Certainly the case with my others, I just replace bits when they go wrong and accept the frame condition will go downhill over time.

I do have my cyclocross bike, maybe the thing to do is pop some light wheels on with some slicks and use that over the winter..
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    jojo90 wrote:
    good advice, thanks :)

I guess road bikes don't hold up too well in the wet? On the flip side seems a shame to not ride such a nice bike whatever the weather! Certainly the case with my others, I just replace bits when they go wrong and accept the frame condition will go downhill over time.

I do have my cyclocross bike, maybe the thing to do is pop some light wheels on with some slicks and use that over the winter..

Jojo, ignore these people. Road bikes hold up fine in the wet! They're not made of rice paper. Ride the bikes you love in whatever weather*, clean and maintain them well, and replace parts as they get worn out. Then you'll be making the most of your bike.

*the exception seems to be when the roads are salted.