New Commuter

Sukh
Sukh Posts: 23
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Don't know if I count as a commuter, only do 1.5 miles to uni (but there and back twice a day) but I have a few questions and tried to search the answers but didn't really find what I was looking for, and hoped some of you could help :)

First of all, i have a 2008 Scott Sportster P6, and its by far the best bike I have ever had (previous being some cheapish barracuda full sus when i was 14 and some Apollo rubbish before that)

1) On helmets whats the point of the plastic 'fin' on the front that unclips? I think it just makes the helmet look cooler, but does it serve a purpose?

2) On my bike, there is an annoying tick/grind feeling when pealing, but not when free wheeling, whats this likely to be?

3)When changing down gears with the quick shift thing, some times I press the lever in, but it doesn't quite down shift, and I have to give it another nudge. Am I just not pushing far enough, or has something stretched (baring in mind Evans should have sorted this last week with the first free service)

4) How easy is it to make your wheel untrue? Im sure the front is by about 2 mm somehow, and think it maybe due to potholes on the way to university, but not sure if that's possible?

5) Mudguards, shall I get some? Not had to cycle in the rain yet, so don't know how much spray I will get, but should I get some like the crud ones for £15 that look quite slim?

Thanks for any help, and sorry if the questions are stupid, I'm really new to bikes and hopefully one day want to fix problems myself without having to go to a bike shop :)

Comments

• I can help answer a few of those questions:

1: The peak is there to look cool and to try and keep rain out of your face, as I understand. It has nothing to do with crash-worthiness.

3: Readjusting your derailleurs should sort that. Assuming that it's the rear one, this tutorial should show you where to look. You'll probably just need to follow the cable adjustment bit.
  • chas67
    chas67 Posts: 13
    1 - dunno
    2 & 3 are probably related, as per the previous fella (don't think I can type that name and get it right) getting the gear shifting adjusted correctly should be a good satarting point to sort it out.
    4 - fairly easy!
    5 - get mudguards if you are commuting every day - they make a big difference.

Hope this helps!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    2: does this appear to come from the bottom bracket/pedals area, or from the rear wheel area? If the former then you probably have one of a number of curable problems, from loose screws, ungreased components rubbing, a front derailleur that needs adjusting, a dirty bottom bracket etc. If it's at the back it's more likely to be a rear derailleur issue which may well tie in with 3 - and it's probably that the cable needs to be tightened. Have a look at the tutorial our Welsh friend provides above.

Oh, and have a look at your brakes as they're very easy to adjust if they're not properly in line. Truing a wheel isn't hard (potholes can indeed cause this, you're right) as such but it's trickier than most and I probably wouldn't try it at your level of experience. A couple of millimeters is probably fine to ride, but if it gets worse it's worth taking to the shop - they should be able to adjust it very quickly for a minimal sum (or free).
  • Sukh wrote:
    1) On helmets whats the point of the plastic 'fin' on the front that unclips? I think it just makes the helmet look cooler, but does it serve a purpose?

I understand it's to keep the sun/rain out of your eyes. It will not protect your face in a crash - it would just snap off.
    Sukh wrote:
    2) On my bike, there is an annoying tick/grind feeling when pealing, but not when free wheeling, whats this likely to be?

Is your chain dirty or not oiled? That would be the first place I'd look.
    Sukh wrote:
    4) How easy is it to make your wheel untrue? Im sure the front is by about 2 mm somehow, and think it maybe due to potholes on the way to university, but not sure if that's possible?

Can be pretty easy depending on your weight and the quality of wheel. See Jamey's things that go wrong with my bike thread!
    Sukh wrote:
    5) Mudguards, shall I get some? Not had to cycle in the rain yet, so don't know how much spray I will get, but should I get some like the crud ones for £15 that look quite slim?

Depending on what you cycle in and how much you like doing laundry, mudguards might well be a good idea!
  • Sukh
    Thanks for the replies guys :)

I think it comes when I push down on the left pedal, so must be something on that side, how to I find out what it can be?

Its when I change down the back cogs say from 6 -> 5 especially that the gears get stuck, so will have a go at the tutorial posted :)
  • Sukh wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys :)

I think it comes when I push down on the left pedal, so must be something on that side, how to I find out what it can be?

Be careful: pushing the left side down also pushes the right side up.
  • Sukh
    I see :oops: :lol: