Carrera Vulcan 08 or Mongoose Tyax Super 2009?

Enverex
Enverex Posts: 8
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
I'm trying to decide which bike to get at the moment, the Vulcan was highly praised as if it's the best bike to get under £500 and is only £250. The Mongoose on the other hand is a higher priced bike and is recommended in the 09 thread here. So the question is, is it worth getting the Mongoose over the Carrera or will there be only very little difference? (for £150 more). Although the bright red colour of the Vulcan does irk me a little, lol.

Comments

• If you've got the money then the Tyax has the advantage of hydro discs.

I can't be bothered to look into it, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a slightly better all round package.

Those two factors combined make it worth the extra money IMO.

Means nothing if you haven't test ridden though.
  • hrm, so you think it's worth it. The only things putting me off are finding it locally (really not confident enough to build one myself) and whether it's really worth 50% extra...
  • Can no shops around Worcester get one in for you to try?

Proof is in the riding. You really do need to test ride for comfort. If the geomoetry of the frame isn't comfortable for you then there's no point buying.

If the Tyax and Vulcan both fitted me, and I could afford the extra for the Tyax, that's the one I'd buy.

A decent set of hydro discs is going to cost you around £100 as an aftermarket upgrade. Add in the overall better spec and the Tyax looks decent value. I'm no expert on suntour forks, but I'm sure the XCR is better than the XCM...that's another tick in the box for the Tyax.

Definitely worth it if you can afford it IMO.

EDIT...there are other £400 bikes worth considering though eg GT avalanche. Don't get too hung up on the Tyax. Look at some others. You might find something you love.
  • Hrm, well I didn't want to go much over the £250 for the Vulcan, then I was looking at £300 (then I realised it was £330 for the Tyax). So going up to £400 is starting to get a bit much, plus will leave me with too little money.

Basically which is "technically" the best bike for under £350? I don't have a specific like for feel, so basically I'm looking for spec for the price....
  • Only reason I said £400 is because thats RRP on the Tyax super. If you can get it for 330 then thats a good deal.
  • milkywhite wrote:
    Only reason I said £400 is because thats RRP on the Tyax super. If you can get it for 330 then thats a good deal.

I was looking at the Tyax Elite 09, not the super (because the Super is £400, heh). Arse, just realised I put the wrong one in the thread title.
  • Enverex wrote:
    milkywhite wrote:
    Only reason I said £400 is because thats RRP on the Tyax super. If you can get it for 330 then thats a good deal.

I was looking at the Tyax Elite 09, not the super (because the Super is £400, heh).

Might want to edit your thread title then :wink:
  • Hrm, ok, when all is said and done, if I raised the limit to £400 max, what is the best bike I can possibly get? Looking to get something fun which will last a while (been using my brother's Hardrock for god knows how many years and it was old when I got it from him, so much so that the suspension was dead and now the gears are dead too, lol).
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Edinburgh Bicycles are selling off 08 basic Rockhoppers for £350 in the horrible red. V-brakes, but at that price who cares? You could get a lot less bike for your money. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Kraken, it's a solid bike at a good price but it doesn't measure up in that company- it would need to be discounted below £300 to make any sense. I have to be honest here, I'm sorely tempted to chuck mine back on gumtree and sell my soul to spesh here :lol: And maybe stick the hydraulics off the carrera onto the rockhopper.

There's other brilliant discounted contenders in this price range too, it makes it really hard to choose a bike just now tbh :) Don;t narrow yourself down. I like the Vulcan too, in spring when there's no discounts it's a good option but right now, I don't think it is personally. I don't know the mongoose but I think it'll come under the same category, these brilliant entry level bikes are having to compete with discounted bikes from one or two rungs up.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ah forgot about that Spesh. if you like it, I'd get one. It was great at 500: at 350 is quite amazing. Fully dsic ready too.
  • So what makes that Rockhopper better than say the Vulcan? It's got the old V breaks rather than Disc breaks so that seems like a downside, so what does it have that is so much better in comparison? (other than the hideous colours, lol).
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Fork is in a different league, is a 140 quid unit on its own and very stiff and controlled. Frame is lighter, 27 speed drivetrain also lighter and slicker, wheels better made, and the rest of the kit high quality, and superior bearings throughout. Vulcan is good - this is great.

BUT... if don't like the ride position then no value to you at all.
  • So basically ignore the fact it's vile red (same as my current bike, heh) and get that one as because of the price it's the best thing I'll get in that price-range at the moment. Hrm, fair enough. Just shame about the colour, lol.
  • Spider987
    Spider987 Posts: 189
    If your wanting to save money go for them soon mate.