SLX crank arm plastic cover missing

how.u.doin7
how.u.doin7 Posts: 52
edited October 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

went out for ride on my trek 6700 yest and when I got back and started cleaning I noticed that there is no plastic/metal cover over the center of the crank arm so u can c straight through the bottom bracket., i have the new SLX groupset. To be honest I cant tell if its always been missing or has come off on a ride somewhere, or wether it had a cover . Will it do any damage not being there? Or shoudl I contact my local bike shop and c if one can be ordered etc ?

Many thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which side? there is nothing on the drive side. but you should have the preload "bolt" in the non drive side.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thanks for the reply, its the chainset/drive side? oh right, I thought it looked a bit strange and thought there may be a cover fallen off. Apologies for the question if so. the non chainset side has a bolt yes.

So u can just see straight through the bottom bracket from the chainset side yes?

many thanks for yr help.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    correct.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thanks very much for help :-)