Rubbing Disc Brakes

avid89
avid89 Posts: 37
edited October 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone i've had my avid juicy 3 brakes for 6 months and for the last 1 or 2 they rub on the pads not only is this expensive but it slows me down. Could it be the fact that the pistons are covered in crap that they aren't returning properly? Or is it my braking skills?

Thanks in advance

P.S i have tried muc- off disc cleaner but that didn't seem to work.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    could be the crap or it could be that the caliper is out of alignment or the idsc is warped or the bearings are shot.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • avid89
    There are bearings in the caliper?!?! Christ they must be small. I don't think it's the rotor as that is new, what about braking in general ? Does hammering on the anchors really late cause any prolonged rubbing?
  • stevieboy
    stevieboy Posts: 704
    Nick means wheel bearings, if they are shot or loose the wheel moves on the axle and causes the disc to move a few mm and hence hit the pads.
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

"BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"
  • Caliper alignment is a pretty common cause. Thankfully on Juicy's it takes less than 10 minutes to sort out. Check the instructions for details.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • avid89
    XtremeDash wrote:
    Caliper alignment is a pretty common cause. Thankfully on Juicy's it takes less than 10 minutes to sort out. Check the instructions for details.

Bearings are new, replaced a few days ago. I have tried realigining the caliper after asking how to do it at my LBS but that made the entire rotor rub on the caliper. Is there a specific technique that is used? Only my bike did not come with instructions.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    I've just had to align my juicy 3 caliper on the front, it really is a peice of p|ss.

Loosen the mount bolts so that the caliper is free to move. Spin the wheel and gradually pull the brake lever until the wheel stops. (I done this bit twice to make sure it was fully aligned!). Hold the brake lever whilst tightening the caliper bolts fully.
    The caliper should now be aligned!
  • red eye
    red eye Posts: 264
    as you changed the bearings is the cone washers tight enough? if they are loose the wheel will move side to side like the bearings are shot