dart forks on an old frame..

welshbarbarian
welshbarbarian Posts: 9
edited October 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
i don't want to hear any laughing, esp from you boys at the back but...

i have just rebuilt an old saracen powertrax pro, a very good bike in it's day and the frame is still mint condition, it did have indys fitted but upgraded to dart 2s 100mm. and i think that it has upset my headset angle, off any drops the front end is hard to keep up, am i right in thinking that the only way out of this is to go for a new frame that'll take these forks?
any help is gratefully recieved.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what was the Indys travel?

And TBBH i would not be changing the frame for those forks as they are crap.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    AH, the powertrax, lovely machine.

Indys were 63mm or 76mm (if you got the 'long' travel version!) or 48mm for the Indy S.
  • for the riding that i do, and the fact that i was made redundant it has been a rebuild on what i could afford,
    it is not always the bike you ride, but more about the fun you have.
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    for the riding that i do, and the fact that i was made redundant it has been a rebuild on what i could afford,
    it is not always the bike you ride, but more about the fun you have.

Spot on man, don't worry what others say about your ride.

No room for snobbery.
  • Cheers for that! I've been riding for about 20 years now and i just love getting out on the trails! I would love to have a couple of grand to treat myself to a top rig but family comes first. But I will keep the cranks spinning! :lol:
  • Darts are longer than Indys I guess?
    That'd make the head angle slacker so shouldn't make the front end dive on drops.
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • DV1
    DV1 Posts: 22
    Cheers for that! I've been riding for about 20 years now and i just love getting out on the trails! I would love to have a couple of grand to treat myself to a top rig but family comes first. But I will keep the cranks spinning! :lol:

Agreed mate :D spot on :wink:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If it is all you have then learn to get used to it,
    the fork travel is about 2 times the old fork which has changed the head angle by about 2 degrees.

as i said your options are new fork or new frame if you want to correct the problem. Or live with it until some thing fails.

And as Sonic said Nice frame and you would do better looking for a rigid fork rather than the Dart at 100mm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown