fu*king cars!!

jimycooper
jimycooper Posts: 740
edited November 2008 in The bottom bracket
i was cycling down a B road near horsham today, it was supprisingly quiet, a car came from behind me. there wasnt anything on the other side of the raod so it was clear for him to overtake. when he came to overtake he didnt move out 1 inch. his wing mirror shashed into my ass at what must of been at least 60mph in a 40mph zone. managed to stay on my bike, just.

it is increadible how inconsiderate some people can be when driving.

Comments

• Sometimes I think cars would rather kill you than cross the white line. There are 2 sections of road I regularly ride which have double white lines and EVERY time something passes within an inch of me, even with nothing coming the other way, I just don't understand it. Either the drivers are totally unable to judge the width of the vehicle, don't know that the highway code allows you to cross double lines to pass a bike or they just don't care. Sadly I think it's all three. Hope you are OK
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    I have similar places on some of my regular rides. I've started riding just a bit further into the centre of the road in these places so I have some space to weave out the way, just in case. It's not a perfect solution, but giving yourself that extra foot or so should to swerve into might be the difference between clipping the kerb and getting squished, and just swerving and being just a bit angry.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    jimycooper wrote:
    i was cycling down a B road near horsham today, it was supprisingly quiet, a car came from behind me. there wasnt anything on the other side of the raod so it was clear for him to overtake. when he came to overtake he didnt move out 1 inch. his wing mirror shashed into my ass at what must of been at least 60mph in a 40mph zone. managed to stay on my bike, just.

Thats leaving the scene of an RTA and its an offence. Did you get any plates, or go to the police?
  • no i didnt. Tried to but the car zoomed off before i had a chance :(
    i was badly shaken up after that and nervous about going out again. i will next week
  • damage36
    damage36 Posts: 282
    JGS wrote:
    I have similar places on some of my regular rides. I've started riding just a bit further into the centre of the road in these places so I have some space to weave out the way, just in case. It's not a perfect solution, but giving yourself that extra foot or so should to swerve into might be the difference between clipping the kerb and getting squished, and just swerving and being just a bit angry.

Same here. There's a double white line stretch on my way home from work, I sit far enough out from the road, that they have to cross to get past. I don't give them the option of staying in the lane.
    As for the OP though, thats just crazy, and I hope you get back on the road soon and it doesn't happen again.

DMG
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Fu*king cars!! Well if that turns you on, please make sure the exhaust pipe is not too hot or too rusty.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    jimycooper wrote:

Irony that would be lost on most motorists, if you hit their wing mirrors while filtering, they expect you stop and offer a full and frank apology, otherwise you'll be chased by them or someone else and forced to give one.

In the reverse we rarely have a chance to do so if the miscreant decides to bugger off at speed. Good argument for a helmet cam.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    chuckcork wrote:
    Irony that would be lost on most motorists, if you hit their wing mirrors while filtering, they expect you stop and offer a full and frank apology, otherwise you'll be chased by them or someone else and forced to give one.

If you ride into someones wing mirror while filtering (or more correctly barging your way through gaps which aren't big enough) you should apologise and pay for any damage.

Motorists and cyclists are not two distinct groups. They are both just people, some of whom are stupid and inconsiderate regardless of their choice of transport.
  • chuckcork
    El Gordo wrote:
    chuckcork wrote:

If you ride into someones wing mirror while filtering (or more correctly barging your way through gaps which aren't big enough) you should apologise and pay for any damage.

Motorists and cyclists are not two distinct groups. They are both just people, some of whom are stupid and inconsiderate regardless of their choice of transport.

Well, yes, obviously.

Except that I've very nearly be taken out by motorists more than once, and had the bejesus scared out of me as a result. I've never once yet had a driver apologise to me for their driving dangerously, that put me at risk, they've all just sped off. That would include the ones that overtake with an inch to spare, run red lights, go down streets the wrong way and drive at you in those narrow streets even when you do have right of way and were on your side of the road, ignore you when pulling out of side streets, left hook you, overtake and then cut in, or even just overtake and then PARK.

So forgive me if I don't see knocking someone's wing mirror to be in the category of heinous crimes, I've had worse directed at me.
  • downfader
    jimycooper wrote:
    no i didnt. Tried to but the car zoomed off before i had a chance :(
    i was badly shaken up after that and nervous about going out again. i will next week

I've had a few occurances where I've wonderded if its worth it so I know how youfeel. You just have to remember - why should YOU give up your hobby or commute because someone cant drive. :wink:

Helmetcam has been mentioned again, lol. I suppose its worth remembering that most of them dont work well in the dark or at dusk. Shame you couldnt get anything.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    ermintrude wrote:
    Sometimes I think cars would rather kill you than cross the white line. There are 2 sections of road I regularly ride which have double white lines and EVERY time something passes within an inch of me, even with nothing coming the other way, I just don't understand it. Either the drivers are totally unable to judge the width of the vehicle, don't know that the highway code allows you to cross double lines to pass a bike or they just don't care. Sadly I think it's all three. Hope you are OK

but only if bike is doing less than 10mph
    Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26]

NB The Highway Code is not the law. It is a code.
    The law comes from S36 of the Road Traffic Act 1988
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'm fed up with things like this, makes it a good plan to always ride with a phone and let people know where you are going in the event you don't return.

I'm also up for vigilante justice, if someone does this to me then they'll get what's coming to them
    Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

....so, if the pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle is travelling at LESS than 10mph, then (by inference) you must NOT overtake.....
  • There are some really stupid cyclists, admitedly. However I doubt these numbers are even close to the number of people that can't drive cars correctly. Twice on my ride home I've been hit by Polish truckers. Even this morning I was lucky to avoid someone who cut in and forced me off the road.
    So far, mirror count = 0
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    chuckcork wrote:
    El Gordo wrote:

Well, yes, obviously.

Except that I've very nearly be taken out by motorists more than once, and had the bejesus scared out of me as a result. I've never once yet had a driver apologise to me for their driving dangerously, that put me at risk, they've all just sped off. That would include the ones that overtake with an inch to spare, run red lights, go down streets the wrong way and drive at you in those narrow streets even when you do have right of way and were on your side of the road, ignore you when pulling out of side streets, left hook you, overtake and then cut in, or even just overtake and then PARK.

So forgive me if I don't see knocking someone's wing mirror to be in the category of heinous crimes, I've had worse directed at me.

I wasn't commenting on you been hit by car mirror. Obviously that driver should've stopped and checked you were OK / apologised.

I was only commenting on the fact that you seem to think it is OK to clip someones car whilst filtering and then ride off without apologising on the basis that 'car drivers' don't apologise to you. That's hardly going to improve relationships on the road is it?
  • chuckcork
    I'll bear in mind the need to improve relationships on the road next time 4WD woman tries to take me out.

FWIW, I had a motorbike written off by a woman who drove into me while turning out of a junction. Exchanged details and all that, but:

1) No apology.
    2) No offer of assistance, wrecked bike etc by the road was my problem. She was in a hurry.
    3) Details given were correct, but she then moved house and took a holiday. Took an extra 3 months to sort out.
    4) She was more concerned that her insurance would go up than anything else!

That was a month after another dimwit nudged me at another intersection, what with arriving at it fast then braking too late, he thought my waving a fist at him was funny.

So yes you are absolutley bleeding correct, ramming mirrors, which I certainly don't make a habit of (and I didn't say I have been hit by one, just had a lot of near misses) is not good for relationships.

But there are a heck of a lot of really bad drivers out there who won't give a toss in reverse for the consequences of their behaviour, like the HGV driver who nearly hit a work collegue with his mirrors. On challenged the response was that he missed, didn't he? have you ever challenged some motorist for their bad driving?

From my own point of view, I'm interested in causing damage to other peoples vehicles, to slowing them down unnecessarily and so on, it would be nice if the desire for 'good relationships' extended likewise in the other direction.

But I'm not holding my breath in expectation....
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180

....so, if the pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle is travelling at LESS than 10mph, then (by inference) you must NOT overtake.....

Other way round, if they are travelling at MORE than 10 Mph you may NOT overtake.
  • Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    I clipped someones mirror once by accident. It was a stupid mistake, and totally my fault. No damage was done, and I stopped, and apologised through the window, but he clearly had no interest in talking to me, so i just rode on.

That's the only mistake I've made since I started cycling (which was not that long ago), but in that short time, I have been run off the road, almost hit, cut up, and just generally belittled numerous times by drivers.

The two most serious incidents were a guy who overtook me at speed, then immediately pulled in in front of me, forcing me to swerve around him, and nearly fall off, and a guy in a huge red SUV who decided while overtaking me, to begin drifting over to the left, effectively forcing me into the curb. My pedal grounded out on the curb, and I had to stop and get off the road.

I'm ahead like 10-1 in the guilt stakes in just a year of cycling. I don't hear many horror stories from drivers about cyclists like this. Just the occasional "they shouldn't be on the road anyway, because they don't pay road tax" or "they're too hard to see", which are actually just excuses for their own bad judgement.
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    sorry to hear that. Hope it doesn't put you off going out again.
    A farm worker that cycles to work on my commute route every day wears a loose fitting flo yellow cape. When I first saw it I thought `what a plonker' but later i realised why he did it because I have to give him a very wide berth when overtaking. :wink:

Phychologically you perceive him as being a lot wider than he really is. Smart eh!? :D

I think the helmet cam is going to turn things around for us cyclists eventually . :roll:
  • downfader
    I was once involved in knocking off someones mirror, not my fault though imo. I was about 14 and coming back from work experience and cycling on the correct side of the road - parked cars either side, but only space for one careful vehicle. I'd already gone through most of the way and a small white van appeared. The guy barged through at me and I felt his vehicle rub against me, and since I didnt have the ability to stop (he'd of probably run me over) I ended up trying to dig left and my handlebar caught someones mirror.

Felt really guilty for it for ages but after a while realised the van driver's aggro caused it. Mind you I had no means to pay for the damage.
  • Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    An old guy in a car did this to me the other week. The difference was, there was plenty of room for both of us on this side street. He still insisted on charging up it in the middle. I didn't give way, since there was no need, and he stopped to shout something at me... as I easily passed him on the left hand side with about a meter to spare, despite his best efforts to cut the whole road off.

I still have no idea why he decided to A: Insist on his having the right of way when I probably had it anyway, or B: Felt that anybody had to have right of way, since there was plenty of room for both of us to pass.

Sometimes I think it's just vindictiveness.
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • Don't you find the you burn your knob on the exhaust pipe when you f*ck a car?

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • chuckcork
    Onan wrote:
    An old guy in a car did this to me the other week. The difference was, there was plenty of room for both of us on this side street. He still insisted on charging up it in the middle. I didn't give way, since there was no need, and he stopped to shout something at me... as I easily passed him on the left hand side with about a meter to spare, despite his best efforts to cut the whole road off.

I still have no idea why he decided to A: Insist on his having the right of way when I probably had it anyway, or B: Felt that anybody had to have right of way, since there was plenty of room for both of us to pass.

Sometimes I think it's just vindictiveness.

This was something that used to peeve me no end. A driver giving 3-4 feet clearance to cars he is going around, while giving me 2 feet of gutter, and when I have right of way anyhow?
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    in our tiny village the high street has 3x chicanes to slow the cars down. All the drivers on both sides simply speed up to get to the chicanes first . Often they don't give way and there are many near misses every day.
    Some drivers get really agressive and scream obscenities and toot their horns at other drivers . Most of the really bad ones are actually in the 40+ range :roll: :shock: