Sometimes we just don't help ourselves

zanes
zanes Posts: 563
edited October 2008 in The bottom bracket
See here;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/camb ... 696215.stm

Tosser. Let's see if anyone tries to defend him because he's "one of us" :lol: ::roll:

Comments

• DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    zanes wrote:
    See here;
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/camb ... 696215.stm

Tosser. Let's see if anyone tries to defend him because he's "one of us" :lol: ::roll:

Hope not - bang out of order behaviour all round. And a charity shop to boot - I ask you.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    He's not 'one of us' though, is he? He's just someone on a bike.

I don't condone what the guy's done, but I've also never really understood why people don't like bikes being leant against shop windows. Surely town centre shop fronts get more abuse when lager, kebabs and vomit are habitually hurled at them on a Friday night than when someone leans their rusty shopper against said vitrines?
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I was once asked not to park my bike against the wall of a small country pub by the Landlady, but take it around the back as it was an eyesore and people using her pub didn't want to see rusty old bikes.

I pointed out (politely) that my "rusty old bike" couldn't rust as it was carbon and alloy, was not old (12 months old at the time) and cost more than 95% of the old nails that people called cars in her car park, and left. The rest of the club who were 1/2 mile back closely followed me when they arrived. We'd have probably spent more on lunch and drinks in that one lunchtime than she normally gets in a week. :lol:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Ash_ wrote:
    but I've also never really understood why people don't like bikes being leant against shop windows. Surely town centre shop fronts get more abuse when lager, kebabs and vomit are habitually hurled at them on a Friday night than when someone leans their rusty shopper against said vitrines?

Clumsy pedestrian doesn't see bike, trips themselves up over it, forcing bike against window, bike puts crack in plate glass window or breaks it entirely, so you can see the shops' point of view. Bit of an 'on the off chance' scenario, though, unlike the amount of shop windows you see broken/boarded-up by Saturday morning due to Friday night booze-fuelled goings-on, so I can also see your point.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Ash_ wrote:
    I don't condone what the guy's done, but I've also never really understood why people don't like bikes being leant against shop windows. Surely town centre shop fronts get more abuse when lager, kebabs and vomit are habitually hurled at them on a Friday night than when someone leans their rusty shopper against said vitrines?

Quite possibly.
    But the fact that they can't prevent the former is hardly reason to permit the latter.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I suspect they don't like bikes leaning against the window because it makes it harder for people to see what's in the window. I don't have a strong view either way about that but what he did is completely out of order. What a tw*t.
  • AdamM
    AdamM Posts: 3
    Interesting/disappointing that the BBC felt the need to describe him as a 'cyclist'. If it had been someone who had been asked to move their car I doubt they would have called them a 'motorist'.
  • hamstrich
    hamstrich Posts: 112
    Ash_ wrote:
    He's not 'one of us' though, is he? He's just someone on a bike.

It's true, especially in Cambridge where practically everyone gets around on a bike. The branding of anyone who uses a bike, be it for national level competitions or for just toddling down the shops and back, as a 'cyclist' is rather unfortunate for those of us who take the sport seriously.
  • Tranced
    Tranced Posts: 165
    2 places in Brockenhurst asked mate & I not to lean out bikes against the wall of their eateries... That when we were walking in to order big nosh up after long New Forest ride.
    Walked away from them & went to bike friendly place.
    Find it most strange that in places like Brockenhurst, Lyndhurst etc. which have masses of cyclists there are very few places/ tea rooms etc. that have bike parking that one can watch from your table. Ditto for many other country villages where cycling is prevalent.
    I'm never going to leave >£1000 bike around the corner up an alley while I sit relaxed having lunch!
    Embrace cynicism…. see the bigger picture!!!!
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Its all a conspiracy. A Motorist has bought a bike to cause mayhem and give us a bad rep, its rather obvious :lol::lol::lol::lol: