Base Layer Recommendations

mclarent
mclarent Posts: 784
Need some new long sleeve base layers, any recommendations?

I was thinking:

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C5054 or http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C6142, but very open to suggestions... :wink:
"And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
- eccolafilosofiadelpedale

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    C5054.jpg

That's what i use - good piece of kit.
  • damage36
    damage36 Posts: 282
    I have a LS merino baselayer, endura baabaa. Its lovely, keeps me warm and dry and best of all I don't have to wash it for a week as it doesn't smell. Its more itch-resistant than itch-proof though, but I hardly notice it.
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited October 2008
    How long's your ride damage36? After using the Helly Hansen twice in a day it stinks and has to be washed! I guess it's the difference in material.
  • damage36
    damage36 Posts: 282
    M.Cole wrote:
    I don't know how long your ride is damage36, but after using the Helly Hansen twice in a day it stinks and has to be washed! I guess it's the difference in material.

11 miles each way for my commute. It can get pretty sweaty, especially if I over estimate the cold and wear a coat. Merino just doesn't seem to smell for ages. Also, I found my other baselayers got wet quite fast, whereas the merino stays dryer for the roughly the same amount of sweat. Lovely stuff.
    Legs, lungs and lycra.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • mclarent
    Thanks for the comments - just noticed I posted this in Training, not gear, sorry!

I think there should be a smellometer rating attached to all commute gear - maybe we could get the UCI to sanction it? :D
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Another vote for merino. I have a thin howies long sleeved base layer which is awesome :D
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    I got one of these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_C ... 360031536/

and one with the zip neck. Very good and cheap.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    Merino wool every time - I can wear a baselayer on my commute for a week without needing to wash it. Just make sure you dry it out before storing it.

The Rapha ones are superb value for the money. Not something you often hear said about Rapha kit, but I've had mine for 2 years now and it's still in great nick.
  • I've used Prendas base layers for the last 10 years, and have a couple of the original batch still going strong ('lo now a little grey)
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    Under Armour Cold Gear for me. Was never impressed with my Helly Hansen I had before so now I just wear that on top of the Cold Gear on particularly cold days
    exercise.png
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    ive used dhb Earnley LS Seamless Base Layer on top of a GORE CHALLENGER N2S
    workd well in the cold. Oxford Chill out shirt might be worth a look if u can find it in stock somewhere
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    I use the Speedo Triathlete base layer. Long sleeve with a polo neck. Got them on e.bay for £6 and £3 p and p. Bath ultimate fitness - good seller, loads of XL last time I dealt with them (I am a 40" chest and perfect fit.)
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    andyp wrote:
    Merino wool every time - I can wear a baselayer on my commute for a week without needing to wash it. Just make sure you dry it out before storing it.

The Rapha ones are superb value for the money. Not something you often hear said about Rapha kit, but I've had mine for 2 years now and it's still in great nick.

Any chance of a link to somewhere that sells them please? not familar with Ralph kit

Cheers

Will
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    I think you mean Rapha
    exercise.png
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    fto-si wrote:
    Under Armour Cold Gear for me. Was never impressed with my Helly Hansen I had before so now I just wear that on top of the Cold Gear on particularly cold days

+1 Miles ahead of anything in the market, been using for 5 years before it came to the UK and is far superior to anything else - the only shame is unless you get it from the US you'll generally have to go to a JJB store with inflated prices and limited stock
  • mclarent
    willbevan wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Any chance of a link to somewhere that sells them please? not familar with Ralph kit

Cheers

Will

Thanks, haven't laughed like that for a while! :D
  • edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    It may not be marketed as cycling gear, but the thermal tops from Uniqlo work great as base layers. They are quite thin, and cut large - I'm about 6 foot and 38-ish inch chest and the small fits well - but they work well for me at £10 each.

http://www.uniqlo.co.uk/catalogue/men/i ... ck-t-shirt
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    willbevan wrote:

Cheers

Will
    Their website is at www.rapha.cc

New stock of baselayers is imminent apparently.
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    M.Cole wrote:
    How long's your ride damage36? After using the Helly Hansen twice in a day it stinks and has to be washed! I guess it's the difference in material.

They're not known as the "smelly hansen" for nothing

Yep! they do tend to wiff a bit and need rather a lot of washing....
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style