Ross and Brand

sicrow
sicrow Posts: 791
edited November 2008 in The bottom bracket
Just listened to the clip on you tube and whilst I can't bothered to complain to the beeb about it, my criticism is that I pay my licence fee towards two cr*p un-funny overpaid t*ssers who happened to unfairly pick on Andrew Sachs - it's 9 minutes of mindless drivle that they will have earned thousands for in salary....................!

Comments

• downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    1. I agree with you entirely
    2. They are t*ssers anyway, so it was expected
    3. If it was the ITV or another channel they'd have lost their jobs
    4. Sachs should send "the boys" around to "have a word"
    5. They're t*ssers :wink:
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    I wonder how Ross is going to justify his behaviour on this one, especially as he is currently being paid £6m a year to be a figurehead of the BBC. I'm sure even channel 5 would have drawn the line at this drivel.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I'd hate to use the "I pay your salary" line but as a Iicence payer I do (think of that, a tax that really is hypothecated) and I say fire the ignorant cunts.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I have a theory (or two):

1. The Nation that is so upset at two comedians bullying Andrew Sachs is the same one that has found it absolutely hilarious for the last 30 years (in a guilty sort of way) that John Cleese used to bully Andrew Sachs on primetime TV. This is just projected guilt. If they'd phoned Chubby Checker, would anyone be so bothered?

2. The Nation that is so upset at two overpaid comedians bullying Andrews Sachs is mostly upset about the fact that they are overpaid while the rest of us are going down the pan. This is projected anxiety about the coming recession. Rich people everywhere are in for a hard time.

3. Ross and Brand have always been up themselves. It was only a matter of time.

4. Angus Deighton didn't ride out the storm; if these two do, it'll be a grave injustice.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    pneumatic wrote:

4. Angus Deighton didn't ride out the storm; if these two do, it'll be a grave injustice.

But didn't Ross and Brand just carry out a practical joke/prank that wasn't funny and could be seen as offensive, where as I think Deayton got caught with drugs and prostitutes*........ I can see which is more worthy as a sackable offense!

Is it really such a big deal, how many other presenters, DJs, chat show hosts have made prank calls that have been offensive? Could there be more important things the prime minister should be spending his time thinking about?

* I'm not saying other presenters aren't guilty of this, but Deayton got caught.
  • pneumatic
    I think the mass public moral hysteria is quite worrying. 1500 complaints by 9am this morning, 10,000 and rising by 5pm.

In another era they would have been torn limb from limb by now.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Russel Brand was actually talking about this incident (slightly embarassed) last Tuesday on Chris Moyles breakfast show, yet it took a few more days for the papers to react.

Have they not got anything else to report?
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    hammerite wrote:
    Moyles

That's another pile of crap on the BBC pay roll.

However I still believe that within 5 years the BBC will be renamed to the "Adrian chiles broadcasting Company", I;m sure there is currently work being done to ensure he can take over from Wogan, Bruce, Maconie, Harris, etc and present the One show at the same time.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • The BBC gives Jonothan Ross 135,000 TV licenses, £18 million. I'd prefer a series on cycling for that money among other things, something wholesome and worthwhile instead of celebrity trash interviewing celebrity trash.
    Cycling, it has it's ups and downs.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Quote "If they'd phoned Chubby Checker, would anyone be so bothered?"

That's highly unlikely as he invented the Twist. Maybe you're thinking of Chubby Brown? :wink:

I'm glad I don't pay license fee to support these talentless fools. The BBC says they have to pay 18 million to attract "talent" of the calibre of Mr Ross?! Unbelievable...
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    Seems to me it's typical Russel Brand - you either love him or loathe him. He's not greatly talented - well, he doesn't use his talent - he just does EXACTLY THE SAME peurile stuff week in, week out. But you know what you're getting...

Ross on the other hand - is he having some sort of mid-life crisis? Maybe he's realised he's not cool and edgy any more but rather a middle-aged chat show host and so tries to associate himself with new 'talent' like Russel Brand so he still seems 'now'. Why can't he just spend some of his huge salary on a Porsche, snort loads of coke and have an affair with an 18-year-old like all the other celebs would?

There's little more cringeworthy than someone who's pushing 50 trying to act like they're 20.

Oh, and I've just found out that the deluge of complaints the BBC received didn't come after the show itself, but around a week later when The Daily Mail (surprise!) published details of what Brand and Ross did. Strange that, Daily Mail readers sticking up for Andrew Sachs. Do they know he's an immigrant?
  • pneumatic
    pottssteve wrote:
    Quote "If they'd phoned Chubby Checker, would anyone be so bothered?"

That's highly unlikely as he invented the Twist. Maybe you're thinking of Chubby Brown? :wink:

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Still, shows what I know/care about celebrities!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    As Ash_ said, most people are complaining for the sake of it - until it hit the news, no-one really bothered. I agree it was in bad taste, but worse things happen that warrant the front page of the all of the newspapers.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    edited October 2008
    This, I understand, is the granddaughter in question, a model and burlesque performer, who has admitted that she did, indeed, sleep with Brand on a number of occasions in a seemingly casual relationship.

3681498a2163538048b628519105l.jpg
  • Few knew, because few bother listening to "Woss", what channel's he on anyway?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    robbarker wrote:
    3681498a2163538048b628519105l.jpg

The first thing I thought when I saw this picture was - Why the sarong?

OK - it was the second thing I thought.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    pneumatic wrote:
    I have a theory (or two):

1. The Nation that is so upset at two comedians bullying Andrew Sachs is the same one that has found it absolutely hilarious for the last 30 years (in a guilty sort of way) that John Cleese used to bully Andrew Sachs on primetime TV.

Not quite the same thing, though, is it? In Fawlty Towers, they were two comic actors playing out a script [1], rather than someone in real life being bullied at a rather personal level. I agree with the remark about Brand & Ross being up themselves, though, and it was indeed only a matter of time before they tripped up over their own egos.

David

[1] Though apparently in one scene Cleese really did hit Sachs with a saucepan - or was it a frying pan? An occupational hazard of slapstick, I guess - that sort of thing happened to Messrs. Mayall & Edmondson on a regular basis when filming Bottom.
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • DavidBelcher
    nwallace wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    Moyles

That's another pile of crap on the BBC pay roll.

Couldn't agree more. If you're ever extremely bored during your morning tea and toast, why not listen to Moyles's breakfast show and play "spot that tune"? First prize to anyone who actually hears some music being played instead of the seemingly endless, childish stream of drivel being spouted by said DJ and his team of equally annoying stuffed shirts. :wink:

David
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    From todays Guardian "Last night it emerged that Georgina Baillie, Sachs' 23-year-old granddaughter, will present her side of the story after approaching publicist Max Clifford. "She's upset because her granddad is genuinely upset and really hurt by it," Clifford said"

Seems like everyones a winner then...
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Her grandad must be REALLY upset if she's prepared to continue to put it on the front of newspapers, so that they few people who haven't heard about it will finnaly hear the story. :? :roll:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • DavidBelcher
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    From todays Guardian "Last night it emerged that Georgina Baillie, Sachs' 23-year-old granddaughter, will present her side of the story after approaching publicist Max Clifford. "She's upset because her granddad is genuinely upset and really hurt by it," Clifford said"

Oh dear. You know things have passed the point of being reasonable when everyone's favourite "publicist" slithers out from under a nearby stone. As the people behind the 007 films might have put it - "Max Clifford will return in Muckraker". :wink:

David
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    CHRISNOIR wrote:

Oh dear. You know things have passed the point of being reasonable when everyone's favourite "publicist" slithers out from under a nearby stone. As the people behind the 007 films might have put it - "Max Clifford will return in Muckraker". :wink:

David

Now we don't suspect for a moment it might all be a set-up publicity stunt do we? Good grief, I'd never have thought of that...
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Let's just forget the Sachs thing and have a lience payers' referendum on sacking Ross, Brand (and Moyles while we're at it) cos they're tossers.

Democracy in action.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    edited October 2008
    Seems like an overreaction by the great British Public for a change. These two are always offending people but this time they picked on somebody who played a popular TV character and his granddaughter. Personally I didn't find it offensive but it did seem totally unecessary and in no way funny. I have to say I don't like Brand but think that Ross can be quite funny - he is certainly a good presenter. He clearly has very poor judgement though; I expect nothing better from Brand. I have to say that there salary has nothing to do with it - if the BBC want Ross that's what they have to pay. Remember he does the Friday chatshow, BBC 2 radio show & film 2008 or whatever it's called. That's 3 pretty popular products which attract alot of viewers, so from a ratings point of view it may make sense. Depends on what role you think the BBC should play really.

We all know that they act like/are idiots but why did the BBC allow it to be aired? The private sector wouldn't get away with it and neither should the BBC. It does remind you of the recent phone in scandals, the Queen documentary and the sense that the BBC doesn't see itself as accountable. I guess what I'm really saying is that BBC is making too many mistakes for an organisation that relies on the general public to pay it's way. It needs to sharpen up or else risk loosing the way in which it is currently funded. Personally I wouldn't miss BBC TV but would mourn the loss of BBC radio.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • CHRISNOIR
    And the BBCsreport suggests she did 'have a relationship' with Russell. Now, surely even the most innocent of girls knows that hopping on Russel Brands knob carries a certain, ahem, value...
  • DavidBelcher
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    And the BBCsreport suggests she did 'have a relationship' with Russell. Now, surely even the most innocent of girls knows that hopping on Russel Brands knob carries a certain, ahem, value...

There seems to be an error in that link, seeing as a story about Russell Brand appeared in the Entertainment section of the Beeb website. :wink:

David
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Can't wait to see the JR show on friday night. Sure he'll have something funny to say about it. I think they're both very good. Ok, the part of the show in question wasn't particularly funny and was obviously misjudged but whats funnier is everyones reaction to it. The Daily Mail was absolutely loving the chance to shoot them down but conveniently didn't mention the fact that the granddaughter had 'questionable morals' herself. On any other day they might have run a story about Andrew Sachs' granddaughter being a slag but this time they made it sound like it was the shocking sullying of an innocent young girl by a sexual predator who then boasted about it on his filthy radio show....all bankrolled by the all important ingredient in a DM story...taxpayers money!!

I'm afraid for all of you wanting their heads on a stick, you're out of luck. And haven't you noticed how these things usually pan out!? They'll take a slap on the wrist, Sachs and his family will make some money out of it courtesy of Max Clifford who'll take his cut, the papers will run a few spin off stories, his granddaughter will become a minor celebrity for a few weeks and we'll be back to stories about the credit crunch until someone else has the media spotlight turned on them. Don't forget that there were only a handful of complaints until everyone sniffed blood and went on youtube to hear the shocking filth in all its glory for themselves before registering their disgust with the BBC. If the DM had its way we'd still have Mr Chombley Warner types presenting endless documentaries on the spirit of the blitz and how the Xbox makes baby jesus cry.
  • DavidBelcher
    Can't wait to see the JR show on friday night. Sure he'll have something funny to say about it.

Better off tuning into BBC1 an hour and a half earlier - I'm sure Hislop, Merton and co. will get some decent comedy mileage out of it on HIGNFY (where they know a thing or two about putting fellow TV presenters under the cosh for dodgy conduct :wink: ).

David
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Can't wait to see the JR show on friday night. Sure he'll have something funny to say about it.

Better off tuning into BBC1 an hour and a half earlier - I'm sure Hislop, Merton and co. will get some decent comedy mileage out of it on HIGNFY (where they know a thing or two about putting fellow TV presenters under the cosh for dodgy conduct :wink: ).

David

Indeed. Infact, anyone in the media worth their salt should have something entertaining to say about it. Whereas anyone not worth their salt can be fully expected to ride in on their high horse and codemn the pair.
  • CHRISNOIR
    Looks like they've been suspended - naughty boys... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7696714.stm