Led Zeppelin

CHRISNOIR
CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
edited October 2008 in The bottom bracket
So, Led Zeppelin are the latest band to ‘reform’ – albeit firing on only half capacity (although, admittedly John Bonham turning up wasn’t really on the cards).

So, is it always bad news when bands do this? Even if it was the three of them, Page, Plant and Jones I reckon it’d be a storming gig - the Ahmet Ertegun tribute shows got brilliant reviews but surely without the singer it’ll just be a massive letdown won't it? I appreciate the money must be a factor here but without Plant they won't really be adding anything to their legacy will they?

Comments

• boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    Usual story of people who don't know when to call it a day they will be just like the rolling stones a real embarrassment.
    You've got John Lyden having sold his soul doing adverts for sodding butter and people like the stones who should have retired years ago just making themselves look stupid.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • boybiker wrote:
    You've got John Lyden having sold his soul doing adverts for sodding butter and people like the stones who should have retired years ago just making themselves look stupid.

You've gotta earn a living somehow.

Look at Captain Sensible doing the big break theme tune etc

(it's Lydon, by the way).
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I say why not - if it brings them a bit of pleasure or money and people want to see them play. Sometimes old artists can surprise you how good they are too - I remember going to see the late great Arthur Lee from 60s band Love expecting it to be awful but it was a great gig.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I agree with Chris; Led Zeppelin without Plant( or Page, or Jones, or Bonham) just isn't Led Zeppelin. Saw him live a couple of years age and he's still fantastic to watch.

Don't think Page and JPJ are short of cash, are they?
  • boybiker
    I did wonder just how broke he had to be to go from making one of the greatest albums ever in Never mind the bllocks to advertising butter. there was a time when he would have rather have starved then do something like that.
  • CHRISNOIR
    The irony with Lydon ranting on about 'British butter' is that he lives in LA...

I don’t object to Zep getting together and playing but it’s just not "Led Zeppelin" is it? And Robert Plant hasn’t ruled it out – he’s just busy doing other stuff. The irony is they may think it’ll p*ss Robert off to get another singer (Coverdale - Page anyone?) but Plant’s the only one who’ll come out of this looking good, and he seems to having a bit of a career renaissance.

I know it’s easy for me to say but I just hate it when bands p*ss all over their legacy. Although even Dead Kennedys managed it so I guess there's no hope!
  • boybiker wrote:
    I one of the greatest albums ever in Never mind the bllocks
    That's a load of "bowlocks".
    If the likes of Zep are still as good players as they used to be, different "Monkey on the drums" won't make much differance, lack of Plant may make a difference.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    its definately a dangerous game for these bands though.....

The ticket price will be astronomical.....and on the night.....well could be hit or miss really.

I said the same about the who, but they were really good (as long as you kept your eyes closed!)

I don't know what would be more disappointing......seeing kinda-led-zep totally suck, or missing them being fsking amazing.

You have given me an idea for another topic doodedoodedoo....

:lol:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    "Monkey on the drums"

ahem, John Henry Bonham was one of the finest drummers ever to walk the Earth.
    Please don't call him a monkey.

or I keeel you
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • boybiker wrote:
    I did wonder just how broke he had to be to go from making one of the greatest albums ever in Never mind the bllocks to advertising butter. there was a time when he would have rather have starved then do something like that.

Never mind how broke Lydon is, it would be interesting to see just how rich McLaren is off their backs.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • I found the butter adverts funny - then had to explain to my 12-year-old daughter who he was having subjected her to 'Pretty Vacant' in the car the other day.

Lydon in a smart guy - some of the PiL stuff was very interesting, 'Rise' is an stunning song.

As someone said above, we all have to earn a few bob every now and then.
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • CHRISNOIR
    ILydon is a smart guy - some of the PiL stuff was very interesting, 'Rise' is an stunning song.

Agreed. And 'Second Edition' (aka 'Metal Box') is probably his finest moment, beats NMTB hands down.
  • boybiker
    I found the butter adverts funny - then had to explain to my 12-year-old daughter who he was having subjected her to 'Pretty Vacant' in the car the other day.

Lydon in a smart guy - some of the PiL stuff was very interesting, 'Rise' is an stunning song.

As someone said above, we all have to earn a few bob every now and then.
    You should play her Anarchy in the UK, not only is it an utter utter classic song but even I can play it on my guitar, and then play her teenage kicks
    Lydon was the only one in the sex pistols with any brains, he is a lot cleverer than he likes to let on.
  • CHRISNOIR wrote:
    ILydon is a smart guy - some of the PiL stuff was very interesting, 'Rise' is an stunning song.

Agreed. And 'Second Edition' (aka 'Metal Box') is probably his finest moment, beats NMTB hands down.

I still think Public Image is their finest song. First New Wave song ever? Quite possibly.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    Attica wrote:
    "Monkey on the drums"

ahem, John Henry Bonham was one of the finest drummers ever to walk the Earth.
    Please don't call him a monkey.

or I keeel you

Absolutely phenomenal drummer.
    Zeppelin without Bonham Is like the Who without Keith Moon. NOT the same...
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    When I was in final year at school, someone offered me a ticket to see Zeppelin at Knebworth (79 or 80, forget which year). By then I was into Ian Dury, the Stranglers and the Damned, so I turned it down.

Kicked myself about that for 20 years and then went to see Page and Plant live to try and get over it. With my eyes closed, it was almost like being there. Without Plant, I can't see it working well.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I remember a few years ago when "Yes" reformed....

Or rather didn't for the opposite problem than the present Led Zep lineup.

4 of the original lineup wanted to tour, but because one previous member was already touring a s "Yes" they couldn't

After some legal rambling they were allowed to perfom the tracks they had written and also to refer to their musical origin... a result there was a group called Andersen, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe performing "an evening of Yes Music"
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Cunobelin wrote:
    I remember a few years ago when "Yes" reformed....

Or rather didn't for the opposite problem than the present Led Zep lineup.

4 of the original lineup wanted to tour, but because one previous member was already touring a s "Yes" they couldn't

After some legal rambling they were allowed to perfom the tracks they had written and also to refer to their musical origin... a result there was a group called Andersen, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe performing "an evening of Yes Music"

Didn't they then go on to form a "super dooper" group, having almost everyone who had ever been in the band together with the lineup changing between songs?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    i agree if all band members are still alive then it is hard to tour without a vital member i.e the most important the frontman like Guns and Roses touring without Axel (sooo pleased they have got back together) as long as they get back together for the right reasons like because they think they can still do it and miss it and not cause they are skint and do it half hearted then i am all for old bands reforming. :lol:
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I liked the ("Judas Priest?") concept.............Lead singer walks out so you go and assess the talent of the "Tribute bands" and then hire one of them to replace the original!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)