Self Inflicted Injuries...

CHRISNOIR
CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
edited October 2008 in The bottom bracket
While playing on the PlayStation last week I became a tad annoyed. Very annoyed, in fact and when the red mist finally descended I demonstrated my displeasure by throwing the controller at the wall very hard. Karmic retribution was swift as a piece of it snapped off and rebounded into my face at a literally stunning velocity. There was blood leaking from my upper lip for an hour (the scar is still there) and I have rarely felt like such a numpty.*

Anyone else ever wounded themselves in a fit of pique..?

*And I still can't do an 'Adrenaline Dodge' on Tomb Raider..

Comments

• DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Sounds absurd, but I did manage to give myself a nose bleed whilst washing my face (!) a while back. Little finger on one hand caught the edge of a nostril, and proceeded to carry on up said nostril with inevitable results. Serves me right for rushing to get ready in the mornings. :oops:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Thought I would impress the ladieees at a party many years ago by taking a run up at the dance floor then sliding across it on my knees.

All was going well, depite a noticeable heat build up around my knees (this was early 80s and the days of the high nylon mix trouser) when i decided to lean back to gain a greater pose factor...and pulled the knee ligamenst in my right leg.

Had to be carried off the dance floor and had two weeks off work. The sick form for work was a serious object of ridicule for many months.

:oops:
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    Punching a wall with total disregard for sanity or pain is NOT recommended. That hurt and immobilised me for a bit. I really do not know why I didd't break anything. Not hitting it hard enough I suppose...
    Smashing a dining chair on the hall floor resulted in a bit of leg hitting me on the eyebrow, so that goes down as a close call... :shock:
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    unclemalc wrote:
    Punching a wall with total disregard for sanity or pain is NOT recommended. That hurt and immobilised me for a bit. I really do not know why I didd't break anything. Not hitting it hard enough I suppose...
    Smashing a dining chair on the hall floor resulted in a bit of leg hitting me on the eyebrow, so that goes down as a close call... :shock:

I've punched walls in the past (better than punching the person that wound you up), and the side of steel machinery - taking all the skin off my knuckles.

I'm usually quite mellow I swear. :oops:
  • antooony
    antooony Posts: 177
    This didn't happen to me, rather to someone working in a factory.

I was installing a new telephone point in an office inside a factory. It was dinner time and I was bored so started reading the accident book. The last entry was by a chap who had injured himself while putting on a pair of safety glasses. Oh how I laughed.

Worse thing I've done to myself is cutting my hand when it went through a window. All I was doing was banging on the glass to try and stop a cat from doing a number 2 in the middle of my prized lawn.
  • I've punched a Range Rover. And came out of it 2nd best :oops:
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    While playing on the PlayStation last week I became a tad annoyed. Very annoyed, in fact and when the red mist finally descended I demonstrated my displeasure by throwing the controller at the wall very hard....

I've hurt myself too many times to recall, but I can relate to your computer game frustrations. I used to play Streetfighter2 on the Nintendo, and that guy at the end pushed me once too far again. I lost all sense of control and tipped my desk over. Then when I got a nice new PC which refused to work, I used a barbell as a battering ram on it. The PC made a horrible crunching sound and ground to a halt.

Nowadays I take my rage out on the weights room.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    While playing on the PlayStation last week I became a tad annoyed. Very annoyed, in fact and when the red mist finally descended I demonstrated my displeasure by throwing the controller at the wall very hard....

I've hurt myself too many times to recall, but I can relate to your computer game frustrations. I used to play Streetfighter2 on the Nintendo, and that guy at the end pushed me once too far again. I lost all sense of control and tipped my desk over. Then when I got a nice new PC which refused to work, I used a barbell as a battering ram on it. The PC made a horrible crunching sound and ground to a halt.

Nowadays I take my rage out on the weights room.

Cheers
    Pedro

What amazes me is that my old C64 once got slung into a wall (by accident I should add, I was trying to carry a load of stuff, turned around and it spun out of grip :lol: ). That still worked. was put up in the loft in the damp - still worked when it dried out.

Modern tech just dies too easily imo. You only have to look at a modern PC and it kills itself in a suicidal fit of angst. :lol:
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    My old favourite is walking round barefoot and stubbing a toe against something, then rolling round in agony, wondering how such a small toe can cause so much pain.

Walked out of the bathroom after a shower, in the dark, kicked the doorframe - oww. Kicked a table leg while barefoot and walking quite fast - oww. Kicked a castor wheel while walking to my bed after turning the light off - oww.