RP training group ride 1st or 2nd November?

felgen
felgen Posts: 829
Hi all, as most who rode last weekend expressed an interest in getting out to ride again this coming weekend, I have started a thread to discuss it. If you can vote on the options above.... I am now free this wekeend, after initially thinking I would have to be on call at work, they have got a locum....

There are enough of us now that a decent group can get together regardless of some people not being around ( Rich, me) which was the original idea for the whole thing anyway. I know its the Future Publishing try a bike thing at Hillingdon Track on Sunday 2nd, but in true democratic spirit that shouldn't discount it as a date if more can make it on a Sunday.

Anyway cast your votes, for route, time and date and we will go from there. I have added options for the Surrey Hills only, as The Jackal and Emu know Surrey Hills better than out west towards Windsor/Henley, but that will be an option to try later on for a bit of variety.

Any newcomers are most welcome - we don't hoon it and take lots of rest stops while The Emu fixes his Garmin GPS :P

*edit* it would seem that my poll above wont allow multiple votes, so perhaps voting for the day only would be most appropriate and then sorting out a start time... :roll:
Steeds:
1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
3)Giant Cadex MTB
4)BeOne Karma MTB

Comments

• Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    As it happens I might now be available on Sunday, depending on wheher or not I stay down in Sussex after my MTB ride on Saturday.

I'll confirm nearer the time, and please don't let this cloud your day choice as it is only a maybe at the moment! :roll:

I do know a Winsdor route, but it is very much 'out & back' rather then being a loop as such. It's also only about 43 miles so I might look into how it could be lengthened a little - I'll keep you posted 8)
  • felgen
    edited October 2008
    Hmmm, by twist of fate, it appears I might actually be free this weekend after all as the on call swap I was down to do may be covered by a locum. I await the final decision on this in the next 24 hours.

Anyone up for riding this weekend then??? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

*EDIT* Yep it looks like I have the weekend off now as it has been covered by a locum Hurrah! *EDIT*
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    Just a point to note James - once you've voted that's it so you can't select multiples from the above. If you can I'd suggest changing them to: 8am Sat, 9am Sat, 8am Sun, 9am Sun, otherwise there's too many options. Plus as much as I love my lay-in on a Sunday and actually prefer a slightly later start I reckon 10am eats into the day too much, especially now we've lost the evening light.

I'm still not certain, but it's looking slowly more likely that I'll be up for a Sunday spin :D
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    I'd be up for joining your merry band...

Sat
    9am (gotta get there from North London - any earlier and i'll be a troll)
    3 hills
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • felgen
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Just a point to note James - once you've voted that's it so you can't select multiples from the above. If you can I'd suggest changing them to: 8am Sat, 9am Sat, 8am Sun, 9am Sun, otherwise there's too many options. Plus as much as I love my lay-in on a Sunday and actually prefer a slightly later start I reckon 10am eats into the day too much, especially now we've lost the evening light.

I'm still not certain, but it's looking slowly more likely that I'll be up for a Sunday spin :D

See my edit in my first post.... I can't now change the poll - having said that you may not have noticed the edit. Anyhow,I suggested we just say what we prefer and from now on just post our preference in the thread with regards to time etc.... Dont worry - I have already self-flaggellated over this heinous oversight.

Anyway patchy got the message preferences duly noted :mrgreen::)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    I'm more in favour of Saturday with an early kick-off but can do Sunday. Definitely 3 hills.
    Weather on metcheck looking better for Saturday at this stage.
    Rich-T: getting closer to the magic 59.59 8)
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    See my edit in my first post...
    Ah, missed that - sorry buddy! :oops:

Sunday is looking flaky again for me and I'm MTBing in Sussex on Sat (which seems to be the preference so far) so I might have to miss this one after all :?

If I do decide to ride this Sun I might go for a Dynamo or Wheelers run if nobody else is about...
  • Sorry guys but I am definitely out. My part of the NHS gives me no choice on the matter. If only they had locums in the LAS.

Hope you all have a good ride
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • felgen
    Sorry guys but I am definitely out. My part of the NHS gives me no choice on the matter. If only they had locums in the LAS.

Hope you all have a good ride

Sorry you cant make it Mike.

Its all a little quiet regarding a potential ride this weekend. So far Al and I are the only potential attendees - I am sure that Wilf is skulking somwhere and wont need much encouragement to attend, though I hope he has hired a p.a.to answer his mobile.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    Its all a little quiet regarding a potential ride this weekend. So far Al and I are the only potential attendees
    Don't forget Patchy! ^^ :shock:
  • patchy
    No. don't forget Patchy. Patchy may also bring some friends...
  • felgen
    Apologies! :oops:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Hey guys,

Am keen for a Saturday morning ride..and promise will do the full ride this time...no dropping off half away to go home
  • felgen
    Berns12 wrote:
    Am keen for a Saturday morning ride..and promise will do the full ride this time...no dropping off half away to go home
    A-ha, all coming out of the woodwork now... so it would seem that most people are mentioning saturday - is that the consensus??? Post up your prefrences :)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Yep no excuses this weekend, as I have reserved the whole day for riding and have no one to crack the whip this Saturday...btw it won't let me vote on the time after I vote on the day (or maybe its just me)...but 9am start or earlier is good for me!

See y'all on Saturday
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Good effort Bernard. Saturday weather still looking reasonable - a few refreshing showers and a balmy 10C.
    So it looks like Saturday 9am (meet 8.45) at Richmond Gate?
    May also have a compadre to bring to the peloton.
    James
    Patchy
    +1?
    Bernard
    Al
    +1?
  • felgen
    Hmm, not sure I can make this now, Sky TV cocked up my HD install in the week, so they need to come back on Saturday, I dont know what time, but they will only tell me after 8am, so it doesn't look good for me - perhaps it will be a KW or LD ride instead :shock: .
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Was lying low whilst evaluating the weather after the mini blizzard but count me in. 8)

Might have to invest in some overshoes before much longer.

Much to my other halfs' consternation 8am or 9am Saturday sounds good.

Sky HD Box.....??? Thats what local pubs are for :wink:

The long grazed legged one
  • felgen
    The emu wrote:
    Might have to invest in some overshoes before much longer.
    Yeah I was looking at some today too :D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • sylvanus
    sylvanus Posts: 1,125
    To ask a dim question, and sorry if others have asked this before, why don't you just go out with London Dynamo (Sat 9am, Sun 8am and 9am) or Kingston Wheelers (Sun 9am) or Twickenham CC (Sat 9am, Sun 9.30am).

If its bechause you're concerned about pace the go for the Kingston Wheelers Sun 9am or LD Sun 9am which are both gentle and leave no one behind! I do think you'd find that joining or riding with a club would give you a lot more pleasure, companionship and experience.

If its because you intend to build up to starting your own club then well done! Given the growth in cycling then the more the merrier! :D
  • The emu
    why don't you just go out with London Dynamo (Sat 9am, Sun 8am and 9am) or Kingston Wheelers (Sun 9am) or Twickenham CC (Sat 9am, Sun 9.30am).

What could London Dynamo possibly offer me for 30 quid, + another 30 after Dec + fees for uniform.....?

• The emu wrote:
    why don't you just go out with London Dynamo (Sat 9am, Sun 8am and 9am) or Kingston Wheelers (Sun 9am) or Twickenham CC (Sat 9am, Sun 9.30am).

What could London Dynamo possibly offer me for 30 quid, + another 30 after Dec + fees for uniform.....?

Hi Wilf. You can always use the club rides as a fall back if you can't get a group together on a particular weekend. Speaking for LD, you don't need to be a member to ride, and anyway you'll be charged pro rata if you join mid or late year. Oh, and I'm a really big fan of the gilet and winter jacket.
    However, it sounds like you guys are doing a good job with the embryonic BBC (you should seek out 'curryinahurry' aka tikka), and I for one am tempted to piggy back on you for a saturday morning ride some time, if you really don't mind interlopers.
    Nick
  • Rich-Ti
    sylvanus wrote:
    To ask a dim question, and sorry if others have asked this before, why don't you just go out with London Dynamo (Sat 9am, Sun 8am and 9am) or Kingston Wheelers (Sun 9am) or Twickenham CC (Sat 9am, Sun 9.30am).

If its bechause you're concerned about pace the go for the Kingston Wheelers Sun 9am or LD Sun 9am which are both gentle and leave no one behind! I do think you'd find that joining or riding with a club would give you a lot more pleasure, companionship and experience.

If its because you intend to build up to starting your own club then well done! Given the growth in cycling then the more the merrier! :D
    Speaking for myself I think it was more just a case of making friends with Richmond Park regulars so that you have people to ride with mid-week (when riding solo in the park is useful but a bit dull) who may also want to do a longer spin at the weekends. As the midweek stuff seemed to turn into a bit of "I was there but I missed you / was going the other way / wasn't sure if it was you" we instigated a weekend ride so that we could meet up properly.

Now that the evenings have drawn in and not everyone is up for night riding I suspect the weekend rides might be more popular for a while. We can make it a decent sized group so as to not intimidate anyone but also have enough skill / experience / differing levels of fitness / knowledge of local area to keep it interesting / challenging / worthwhile.

Personally I do plan to ride with both LD and KW (possibly with a view to joining one or other), and I may well do just that on Sunday morning given that it looks like this weekend's ride will be on Sat.

Nick - Bizarrely Tikka bought my Omega off me earlier this week! :lol:

Nobody is an interloper - the 'BBC' (I prefer RPCC - [working towards] Sponsored by The Bombay Bicycle Club... although I'm not sure I like the idea of pink jerseys! :oops: :lol: ) is only 2 rides old so at the moment we barely have 'founder members'! :D
  • felgen
    However, it sounds like you guys are doing a good job with the embryonic BBC (you should seek out 'curryinahurry' aka tikka), and I for one am tempted to piggy back on you for a saturday morning ride some time, if you really don't mind interlopers.
    Nick

We really dont mind 'interlopers' - the more the merrier - it really is just a disparate group of people with a common interest. To be honest if we ever get to the situation where we are so busy that we have to start thinking about splitting up groups to make them more manageable, then that would be great.

I assume you mean Tikka from KW then?

As for sponsorship of the BBC (RPCC? etc) and taking over the world, well if it got that far, it would be nice to have a distinctive kit - plus pink is a high-vis colour look at Wilf when he came along to the first ride in his Lampre Kit! :twisted: Additionally it would seem that most cyclists like a good curry - a match made in heaven, and also Rich-Ti's stroke of marketing genius!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • patchy
    Yo

Having just found out m sister's in town tomorrow arvo, reduce me to a 'maybe' i'm still planning on going out, but may instead hop around Norf Lahndahn rather than head south.

have a fun ride!

K
  • The emu
    Well I'll be there at Saturday 9 for those keen.

As for the club scene, its a personal thing and for me its just not my cup of tea. Particularly given the rather pathetic turf war thats going on in Richmond park (and recently on this forum) with clubs, its left a nasty taste in my mouth.

I just wanna get on my bike an ride, how I want, wearing what I want, when I want, and which has been proven in recent times can be done with the enjoyment of other like minded riders.

Laters

• The emu wrote:

As for the club scene, its a personal thing and for me its just not my cup of tea. Particularly given the rather pathetic turf war thats going on in Richmond park (and recently on this forum) with clubs, its left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Turf war? I must of missed that. There was/is a topic about the behaviour of a bunch of riders....

I wouldn't close yourself off to the idea of joining a club. It isn't about the tribalism of sharing a jersey, it's about having doors opened for you. A good club will expand your horizons and allow you to do things with a bike you would have never of thought of.

Had I not joined a club some 13 (Christ!) years ago and stayed a commuter/charity event rider I would of missed out on racing, TTing, track, competing in national championship events, riding the Paris-Brest-Paris and satisfaction of being an event organiser.

I'm out of it this weekend. Galling as I wanted to show my face, but I've picked up an injury - doing core stability stuff in the gym of all things. Have a nice ride, and hope to see you all again next week.

Forza Richmond Park CC! :wink:
  • felgen
    Forza Richmond Park CC! :wink:

Top quote... that might well end up in my sig.

I dont think I am going to be there chaps. Sad as it may seem, my 100% attendance record has been dashed on the technological rocks of Sky HD. I will, however, be awake early, up my ladder a-la Rod Hull (minus Emu - no not the Emu) sorting out the cable that they are not insured/too jobsworth to do.

Enjoy the ride chaps.

Gavin - see you on a Ride soon.

Emu - keep up the 100% record....:D
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • The emu
    No problems,

Will give me a chance to catch up on some strengthening. :wink:

Just don't do a Rod Hull - (ironically just learnt about him the other day).

• I was at work today however was driving down the hill from Kingston Hospital when I saw a somewhat wet trio of cyclist heading the other way. I recognised Al and Wilf ( I guess it was Bernard with you). How was the ride? You all looked pretty miserable
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc