Cleaning disc brakes

snowfruit
snowfruit Posts: 26
edited October 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I've recently installed a set of Shimano XTR hydraulic disc brakes on my bike. after my ride yesterday, which was extremely wet and very muddy, they're now grinding a bit due to the crud that's got stuck in them. I've hosed the whole lot down and this has gotten rid of a lot of it, but they still grind a little. Any suggestions for getting them clean so that I don't wear out my pads/discs on the next ride?
Emerald MTB - Riding bikes, exploring trails, meeting people, trying products and a bit of racing in Ireland!

Comments

• explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    you can use disc brake cleaner.
    I got mine from halfords, if you buy the cars stuff its just the same as the bike ones but cheaper
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    I would not use the car stuff as it can leave a residue that would burn off on a cars brakes but on a bikes they dont get hot enough.

to give it a good clean strip out the pads and give them a good scrub ( a tooth brush is good for that and i find that its better to use an old one rather than the wifes :evil: )

spray on the cleaner on hte disk and the pands again scrub down.

make shure the pistons are moving freely and then reinstall the pands and put the wheel back on.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    isopropyl alcohol