Specialized Tricross Singlecross

homercles
homercles Posts: 499
edited November 2008 in Road general
Singlecross

I'm thinking about making one of these my next purchase, reason being I fancy...

a) a bit of single cog action
b) something low maintenance to spare the beloved Italia another pasting at the hands of the forthcoming winter
c) something that can take a bit of bumpy stuff, plus towpaths, light off-road tracks, etc
d) something that will take mudguards, maybe a rack
e) another bike 8)

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of the Tricross in singlespeed form? Or if there is something similar I should consider, bearing in mind budget (around £500-600) and possible light off-road need.

I presume you hardcore SS riders will tell me it'd be fine for what will soon be an 11.5 mile each way commute (pretty flat).

Also, I get the impression it's a freewheel at the moment? Any idea how hard it is to convert to a fixed, in case I feel like going hardcore?

Cheers

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Only rode mine once in s/s form (while awaiting a fixed sprocket) and I've not had it long enough to give a fully considered view, but FWIW I think that it is an excellent bike. Takes 'grds AND biggish tyres - to my mind essential for all-round, all-weather, use.
    The wheels are apparently a weak point - but then I suspect that that is true of all s/s and fixed at less than even twice the price of the Tricross. All the rest seems fine to me.
    I wouldn't however pay retail: plenty already coming along (barely) used (as folk realise that there was a good reason why variable gears were invented!) at c. 250 quid.
    Get one for that money and a spare set of wheels with the change!
    Opinion only you understand!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • meagain
    Sorry missed the "fixed" question. It's a double sided, fixed/free, hub. Just screw on a sprocket of your choice and...that's it really! Even (I think) comes with a lockring.
    d.j.
  • daz51
    daz51 Posts: 159
    I looked at the Single Tricross and it is a lovely machine. The only thing which put me off was the price to be honest.

But thats just me, lol
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i just had one built up specially for me for around £400 see this thread:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12590253
    its a great ride, steel 10kg, its got a flip flop hub, not sure about the off road potential. I got it built with mudguards. I ride it on a 12mile commute each way and it seems fine.

If you are interested i can put you in touch with the place i got it, just PM me.
  • meagain
    Rather neat that "Premier"! Seems to be a "trade" frame: there's been a couple on th'bay and one shop told me that could get me what from the description is the same "from our usual supplier" when I enquired about a sloping top tube fixed to take 'grds etc.
    d.j.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    the premier brand is from my LBS, im sure that many different places can source it but the rest of the parts i picked out from the shop and they built the frame up for me to my specification.

this is their website for other info:
    http://www.premiercycles.co.uk/start.html

it doesnt actually have that frame on there but it has a lot of background to the company
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd build up a pompino, they're such a laugh. Or look for an old school racer and stick on some really nice wheels.
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    Cheers for the advice guys, esp meagain - second hand could well be a winner. As you suggest, there seem to be a few knocking around.

I'd like to get a racier SS but first up I really do want something that can do a bit more in terms of off-road stuff, hence the bigger tyre desire.
  • meagain
    Glad to be of help!
    I did look a lot before deciding on a Tricross - and I couldn't really find anything else that seemed likely to do the big tyres/'grds/gentle off road bit so well.
    And so far so good. Only beaten IMHO by the fixed titanium On One cyclo crosser that I used to own. But there's only 3 of them in existence - and somewhat more expensive!
    Good luck!
    d.j.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    I like mine although I feel that the V brakes fitted are less effective than cantis. Just fitted the latter but have yet to ride them.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If you're running v's then you need to have levers that pull the correct amount of cable. I have v-s with correct levers and they have disc prolapsing stopping power!
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    Dave please post some pics of the Ti On One you had.
  • There was a used one for sale on the Planet-X site a few days ago but it's gone now. It looked very, very nice.
  • meagain
    Rob, here was in its summer clothes!

One1.jpg
    d.j.
  • meagain
    Couldn't find the On One on FGG (tho' I assume I posted it there!), but to my surprise some others still there - 474, 977, 978, 979 and 1300. Probably some more, though after it became full of very similar and often run of the mill "stuff" I gave up. I think "no. 474" was one of the first from UK?

I'll stick the £6 Raleigh Pioneer up when I get around to it - that should annoy!
    d.j.
  • Dickie
    Here are mine, there will be two more soon. Dave the Ti On One is v nice. I remember 474! I saw a post that said it was stolen in Hackney. :evil:

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/rob50.htm

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005/apr/Bob&Jo.htm

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006/ju ... Burton.htm

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2007/mar/BobandJo.htm
  • meagain
    IF I had two grand going spare I'd have another one built - altho' I'd opt for a more "compact" sloping t/t design!
    d.j.
  • Dickie
    Check out the Burls at Hubjub. :shock:

http://www.hubjub.co.uk/burls/ticourier.htm
  • meagain
    Nah - x23 tyres, not for my style of riding! 32s and 'grds minimum requirement! That's why I'd have to have one MADE. IF I had the steam I'd send a picture of the Tricross to China and say "one like this please".
    d.j.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Got one and use it mostly off road. Will stick a fixed on one side when I can shift it off my other wheels. Brakes are crap. Reckon the V's are too long. . Trying some LX cantis that are kicking about. Ok with a long straddle wire. Plenty of these on ebay for nowt. I like the bike. Forks the most comfy I have found on an alloy bike.
  • meagain
    " Forks the most comfy I have found on an alloy bike."

Seconded - altho' I find the whole bike a nice off-tarmac ride - no doubt the big air tyres help! I also have a set of better wheels with x28 Gatorskins for tarmac.
    d.j.