Severn and Avon bridges

psutton
psutton Posts: 206
edited October 2008 in Tour & expedition
I'm going to be cycling to Devon next week. My Landranger maps indicate that there are foot / cycle paths on these but I have no idea how or where to access the paths. All help / hints gratefully received!!

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The approach to the Avon(M5) bridge from the north is via B4054. The approach to the 1st Severn bridge can be made via the motoway roundabout or via Caerwent Lane in Chepstow depending on wether you want to go north or south of the bridge. In my experience north is better as you've got the bridge to shelter you from the wind. If you do decide to use the 2nd Severn bridge be very careful as there isn't a cyclepath just the hard shoulder.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • psutton
    Thanks redvee - excellent .
  • colande
    colande Posts: 536
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/content/ar ... ture.shtml

im pretty sure your not allowed on the m4 severn bridge (new),
    even on the hard shoulder, as its a motorway,
    ive never seen a cyclist anywhere near and must have been over 100's of times,

the origianl bridge has a dedicated lane

i think it says it on their website aswell,
    http://www.severnbridge.co.uk/
    but looks like its down and been replaced with a fly fishing website

hope this helps
  • I don't think the second crossing has a cycle path, and as it's a motorway, you can't use it.

The entrance to the northern (and best) path on the first crossing is easy to find, just get to the roundabout for the motorway, and it's just before the road entry. This will drop you off at the roundabout on the far side.

Then take the A road to Avonmouth. This has a few heavies on it, but it's very wide, so not a problem. Half way to Avonmouth, there is a dedicated cycle path that goes through the back of the industrial estates, but I wouldn't bother, it's a typically badly designed one, with lots of narrow turns and rubbish.

To get onto the Avonmouth bridge, take the B road left at the motorway roundabout, then it's on your right. You'll end up in Pill on the other side and you'll have to wibble your way out, I don't think it's well signposted. Once you get to the Bristol-Portishead A road, turn right, drop down the hill, and turn left at the bottom towards Portbury before the motorway roundabout. After about a quarter of a mile take the road straight ahead into Portbury village instead of turning left, and then follow your nose. This will take you to Clevedon down some nice back lanes.
  • colande
    colande Posts: 536
    http://www.severnbridge.co.uk/toll_prices.shtml

looks like the fly fishing website has been replaced :D,
    if you read down it says about the foot path access
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    The bike path over the Severn Bridge is very well signed, you can't miss it.

An alternative to the Avon Bridge is the Clifton Suspension Bridge which is much more interesting. It's only a short easy hop across a corner of Bristol to get there and you're back in countryside before you know it.
  • psutton
    El Gordo wrote:
    The bike path over the Severn Bridge is very well signed, you can't miss it.

An alternative to the Avon Bridge is the Clifton Suspension Bridge which is much more interesting. It's only a short easy hop across a corner of Bristol to get there and you're back in countryside before you know it.

Thanks to all for info / suggestions etc. After poring over maps, I've decided on the Clifton Bridge option.

Whilst I'm on, what's the Gloucester / Chepstow bit like (A40 and A48)? The predicition is for heavy rain on Thursday (day 1) - eugh.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    psutton wrote:
    Whilst I'm on, what's the Gloucester / Chepstow bit like (A40 and A48)? The predicition is for heavy rain on Thursday (day 1) - eugh.

Can be a bit of a racertrack in places and nice views in others as it runs right beside the River Severn for about a mile. Don't ask for placenames where these places are as my experience of the road is in my Dads car as a passenger.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • wjhall
    wjhall Posts: 151
    Approach the Suspension Bridge through Ashton Court park from Long Ashton.

For the Bristol section from Clifton suspension bridge,here is a list of street names, which you should be able to pick up on Multimap, etc, at higher magnification:

Suspension Bridge Road - first L – then L - Clifton Down Road – S (Use shelter of pedestrian island to cross Bridge Valley Road – can alternatively use minor roads down hill just to the W to reach same point) – Fountain Hill – L – Circular Road – L – Ivywell Road – S – Hazelwood Road – R – Church Road – L – Mariners Drive – R – Old Sneed Park – L – Avon Way – S – Trym Cross Road – R (Or S and round through Sea Mills Square) – Trymside – R – Meadway – S – Coombe Dale – S – Westbury Lane – immediate R – The Dingle – L just before stream into Blaise car park – aforementioned kissing gate, follow tarmac path up Hazel Brook gorge through estate – L over bridge in front of mill and up to pass in front of house to exit – L – Henbury Road – R – Hallen Road – bear left in this short fast one way section – L – Hallen Road – under motorway bridge – R – Berwick Road and so to Easter Compton.

Most of the roads between the Downs and the Blaise estate are minor urban roads with low traffic, so any diversions you feel like should be easy subject to avoiding the obvious main roads (Shirehampton Road & Canford Lane & the Portway end of Sylvan Way).

As you may guess I live in this part of town.

From Easter Compton by obvious minor roads to Northwick, thence by a pavement cycle track to the junction with Old Passage road on the other side of the A403, follow Old Passage road round beside the estuary (avoids A403 & motorway roundabout) until a left turn up a service road leads you to the S side cycle track on the bridge. Across bridge, under tunnel and along cycle track beside dual carriageway towards Chepstow.

A40 and A48: DONT. These are fast main roads, choose another way.
  • wjhall
    wjhall Posts: 151
    Apols, forgot you were going to Devon, not from. Read my post backwards.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    psutton wrote:
    Thanks to all for info / suggestions etc. After poring over maps, I've decided on the Clifton Bridge option.

The A40/A48 isn't nice at the best of times, and the A40 between the river and the A48 is all dug up with contraflow and traffic jams at present

If you want to go to Bristol from Gloucester, stay on the SE side of the Severn.
    Leave Gloucester on the new western bypass on the W side of the canal, and join the canal towpath (W side) where it crosses the canal at a big new swing bridge. There's a cycle track all along the bypass.
    NCN 41 follows the towpath from town, but you can't go all the way along at present because it's blocked off where a new bridge is being built, hence the advice to take the bypass.
    Leave the towpath at the 2nd bridge, and follow NCN 41 through Stonebench, Frampton, (another bit of towpath), Slimbridge, Berkeley, Oldbury, Elberton, Olveston, Easter Compton and Hallen, then head for the Clifton or Avon bridge as you wish
  • trickeyja
    trickeyja Posts: 202
    andrew_s wrote:
    The A40/A48 isn't nice at the best of times, and the A40 between the river and the A48 is all dug up with contraflow and traffic jams at present

If you want to go to Bristol from Gloucester, stay on the SE side of the Severn.

I would second this, andrew_s has recommended a good route there. I have been along the A48 several times and it hasn't been too bad, though I think you would have a nicer and quieter ride through Slimbridge and the villages to the SE. I would also try to avoid the stretch through Over to the A48 roundabout due to the reasons stated - it is possible to get through, but cycling is banned on the actual road at the moment due to the everlastinc roadworks so you have to use an awkward footpath.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    It depends which direction you are coming from, but it is generally better to approach Gloucester on the A417 rather than A40. It's generally less busy than the B4215 down from Newent.
    There is a riverside cycle track from Maisemore, but the middle part is closed due to flood damage so you have to take the road nearly as far as the layby just before the main roundabout.
    From there, pass under the A40. You can then go over the old Telford bridge and double back over the new bridge on a roadside cycle track, or continue on under the railway and past an electric substation thingy and on up to the same roadside cycle track, or swing right on an initially wide & unsurfaced track to follow an old railway line towards the docks (under or join western bypass). These last 2 options are currently infested with travellers at the split.