What is on your shopping list for Etape 2009?

jhop
jhop Posts: 369
Each summer I say to myself that's me properly equipped and ready for next year without needing anything new and each following year I find myself easily convinced that if only i had .....? riding the eatpe would be better!

In 2008 it was a carbon compact and 10 speed rather than my triple with 9 cogs, 2007 it was Eurus wheels rather than Open Pros, 2006 etc etc.

This year for my etape number 6 I already have new Sidi shoes but what else is going to tempt my fancy?

What do others have in mind as the 'must have item' for the main sportive of their summer?

Comments

• Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    jhop wrote:

What do others have in mind as the 'must have item' for the main sportive of their summer?

My main sportive won't be the Etape, but I'd like to answer the "what would you like for Xmas" question all the same

Already have the Sidis, carbon crankset, Eurus wheels
    :oops: ; having done four Etapes, Marmotte etc on a 1999 Litespeed, what I'd like is new bike

I think I can speak from experience when I say many bikes used for day/endurance rides could be so much better designed for the purpose.

I'm thinking here about the aggressive geometry and stiffness which seem to be built into many many bikes you see at sportives

So, I'd like

- a bike with a comparatively slack headtube, giving superb stability (good for posing taking ones jacket off, on the move as well as for railing round corners on fantastic descents). I don't think you need that "fast handling bike" in a sportive

-a bike with a springy frame, thats a pleasure to ride. My Litespeed is OK, but I have ridden more supple bikes

As I have a major birthday coming up, I will be tackling a major challenge, and the birthday is just the sort of landmark I need to make the excuse to get another (the 7th) new bike
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • boyfriday
    boyfriday Posts: 103
    Well i too have signed up for the Etape and am in the process of compiling a healthy (if rather expensive) shopping list.

A mixture of SRAM Red and Force for a new groupset is high on the agenda, together with a set of Easton EA90 SLX wheels (hopefully manage to get the wheels and chainset as a birthday gift on account of my generosity towards the gf on her birthday).

I have had my frame for around a year and feel it's about time i treat it to a makeover - the parts that come off it will take pride of place on a new winter/everyday/do-it-all Cervelo S1, which will form part of the Christmas list.

On the clothing front, suggestions would be appreciated. I currently have a multitude the necessities, but feel that i may need to replenish the stock as they are likely to take a pounding over winter.

What are you likely to need for the Etape? Is it wise to take a bit of everything - be prepared and all that. I would love it (not Kevin Keegan style though) if it was warm and windless, but i am fearful that the heavans will be well and truly open, and Ventoux will loom like Mordor in the distance as we approach.
  • Ken Night
    boyfriday wrote:
    .............................., and Ventoux will loom like Mordor in the distance as we approach.

Statistically, you're more likely to have a blisteringly hot day in Provence, but as with all
    Etapes you should take clothes for all eventualities. Work out the day before what you'll take-and you need therefore to have a lot of mix and match stuff and to know how to combine to use it successfully

Ventoux is nothing like Mordor. It just rises out of the plain. It's extraordinarily varied-this year, I've climbed it in October in glorious sunshine, in June in stifling heat, and this year, in August, when it was cool and breezy at Sault and terrifying past the Simpson memorial. I was prepared and had plenty of clothing, so didn't freeze, but wasn't prepared for having to hang onto the side of the road with one hand and onto my flapping bike with the other-really

Here is the October view :D

PA100220.jpg
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    ken 8)

What's your big birthday and your corresponding major challenge?

I'm hoping to buy something in a smaller size than anything I own at the moment! Would be great if I could drop a few sizes off my feet too (size 11.5 uk mens!). I think I've got everything I need apart from a waterproof jacket - that's what I really need at the moment as we're almost into winter. I love this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Caste ... 360038064/
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    For the etape I was thinking about a pair of Mavic R-SYS wheels.

Popette, I've been struggling to find a nice waterproof jacket. That one does look nice.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    A rapha stow-away rain jacket. £200 but money well spent to cover rain/mist and cold descents. Also a nice flat top carbon handle bar - great for those long climbs - works for me!
    Brian B.
  • mark_d
    mark_d Posts: 61
    EPO.

I doubt I'll do the Etape but I want to do the Marmotte (again) and the Morzine. Time off depending I might squeeze the Vaujany in, too.

Aside from new sunnies and comfy shorts I don't think I need any more gear. What I do need is a winter of weights and pilates and a spring of intervals and long rides :~)
  • NlEDERMEYER
    NlEDERMEYER Posts: 1,343
    Rather than spunking your wad on new gear which will make naff all diference to your performance in real terms, sort yourself out a couple of long weekends riding some proper mountain passes!
    Bulbous also tapered
  • jhop
    Rather than spunking your wad on new gear which will make naff all diference to your performance in real terms, sort yourself out a couple of long weekends riding some proper mountain passes!

I think we all know that none of our dream purchases are going to have any significant impact on our performances!
    My family and work commitments mean time wise I am pushing my ride times to the limit and further weekends away are not a possibility even though I can see that I would benefit from such adventures.
    One week in the high mountains is unfortunately my annual limit.
  • Ken Night

Correct me if I interpreted the OP incorrectly. He wanted to know about shopping for the event

Shopping for new kit is quite a pleasant pastime in its own right IMHO
  • NlEDERMEYER
    NlEDERMEYER Posts: 1,343
    Ken Night wrote:

Correct me if I interpreted the OP incorrectly. He wanted to know about shopping for the event

Shopping for new kit is quite a pleasant pastime in its own right IMHO

If you are immune from the current global financial meltdown, I suppose it must be Kenneth!
    Bulbous also tapered
  • Ken Night

If you are immune from the current global financial meltdown,!
    , Wrong! I said shopping, not buying :D , though the two activities do have an unfortunate crossover!

I suppose it must be Kenneth!
    . Right
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    An interrupted cold/virus/chest-infection free run at a properly constructed training programme. Unlike last year where I reached Christmas with a good base only to see it all frittered away by an infection I couldn't shake until March. 3 months was only just enough to get me round...
  • Schwalbe Ultremo tyres - front and back. I thought they were a bit pricey, but I really noticed them on rides after the sportives, where obviously I had something to compare to. Having had to replace them recently, I have really noticed a difference. So they are absolute musts for Etape 09
    The ultimate cruelty of love's pinions
  • Ken Night
    popette wrote:
    ken 8)

What's your big birthday and your corresponding major challenge?/

Popette

That jacket is nice-like most of the Castelli stuff, though I do think they have gone OTT with the Insolato jacket

I get the feeling that they, like Assos' Fugu jacket, have to have something like that in the range to make everything else, which is after all expensive, seem good value!

I'm thinking about the Maratona or Nove Colli, for the big challenge-or maybe to get round the Marmotte in 8hrs-I'm at the age when I can anticipate my performance declining rapidly!
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    Even lower gears - remembering grovelling up the Alpe on 30x29 three years ago (at least I could still spin just about & wasn't lying in a heap in the shade as many other riders were!). Am thinking about an experimental 13-30 or 14-30 Marchisio cassette.
  • dmb
    dmb Posts: 26
    Liposuction!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I took a look at the price of doing the Etape and stopped there. Most ways of doing it are as part of an expensive package. I've decided I probably won't ever do this event

Besides, I'm not as fit as Ken by a long shot :D
  • jhop
    Only two items have been with me on each etape since 2003; my Castelli Pac Lite top and a pair of oldish Chorus brakes.

Maybe 2009 might just see a change in one or even both of these. Parkers are advertising the Chorus Skeleton style brakes at a reasonable price and my top is beginning to show signs of wear.