Choices, choices ... why did you make yours?

cock_sportif
cock_sportif Posts: 106
edited October 2008 in The bottom bracket
OK - Having just sprung a 'personal best' spend on my new bike, I was wondering what people consider most important when buying. I'm assuming there's lots of things that have an influence, but which wa most important for you?

Come clean!

(I was definitely a dribbler, by the way :D )

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Budget about £800, groupset 105 or similar, relaxed geometry = hundreds of bikes to choose from.

Then I decided I wanted to be able to fit proper mudguards = much shorter shortlist

Racelight Tk won in the end
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    I wanted a fairly traditional racer, but with the benefit of modern advances on a budget of approximately 2k. Luckily I have a good bike builder practically on my doorstep! Unluckily, I haven't got it yet... should be by this weekend though fingers crossed
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • "The moment I saw it in the shop I immediately started dribbling ..."

That'd be me. :oops:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I built it myself...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    whyamihere wrote:
    I built it myself...

Same here, but it sort of goes into the best spec for the budget.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I'm doomed to bike envy! ...... or was.... yep I'm cured! Unfortunate thing is my wifes shop is directly over the road from LBS.

SOOOOO!!!!! Day after day I see great bikes and gear. No wait thats a good thing. Cause I just bought my new Cervelo R3 after watching price go down and down as LBS wanted to move some stock of top end bikes ready for new season.

Seriously value for money and quality are what is important. Got Both big time!

:D:D:D:D:D:D If I told you the price you would all kill me :D:D:D:D
    I used to play Hockey but now I ride.... one day like the wind :)
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Another dribbler here. :oops:
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Hmm - not sure. Probably a combination of things led to me getting me riding my Look KG241;

(a) Thought the design looked cool - lugged frame but with a high-tech twist
    (b) I knew I could get a S/H one for silly money
    (c) Was really keen to get a carbon bike
    (d) A change from the endless ranks of Specialized/Giant/Trek machines on the roads these days
    (e) Some bloke from the Wirral rode one in his last pro season :wink:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I went into the bike shop (Epic Cycles) with a budget and Chris suggested a few bikes I could try. But when I saw the baby it was love at first sight and we've been together ever since :D
  • Self build but the frame & components were all bought because
    a) The moment I saw it in the shop I immediately started dribbling ..
    b) Mag/ online review .
    Had a few disappointments but now i have a bike that's perfect for me
  • I wanted a singlespeed. Two weeks later a langster came up at £85. Sold.
    It's had about £200 of upgrades now, including the wheels I built myself.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Ultimately it came down to budget and what I could get with the money I had.
  • Well - combination of salesman and dribbling...how often do you get 30% off a Ti/Carbon frame with a full carbon fork :wink:
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Got 50% off and 3-years interest free credit from an online sale. Never test rode it but the fit is perfect and it's a great all-rounder bike - Scott CR1 Pro :wink:
    Still breathing.....
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    no ones admitted that they bought one to look like one of the pros when a lot probably do like the people that say that they hate 11 speed campag until the pros all use it and they buy it