Dream Roads (places you'd like to cycle)

UnworthyPapaLazaru
UnworthyPapaLazaru Posts: 422
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Ive been doing a few google searches looking at the UK's highest roads and have come across this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swishphotos/2785174648/

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/216989

Wow! Now that is a road I'd like to cycle! Applecross Pass.

Any other suggestions for dream roads in the UK???
Cannondale F500
Peugeot Fixed Gear
Specialized Hardrock
Baordman Team Carbon
Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I'd love to get to Applecross, but its pretty damn remote.

However, we only live an hour from Mennock Pass / Lowther Summit.

186693310_a27d5ae755.jpg

That's about 550m of climbing, the last 300m traffic free and, trust me, any view after those gradients is fantastic.

And about 2 hours from Great Dun Fell, which is just an amazing road and 650m climb. I have no idea why the Tour of Britain goes to Milton Keynes and Stoke (not offence) and misses roads like these (the route went right past the road up to lowther this year - so frustrating).

9592877.jpg
  • always_tyred
    Here's a better one of the Great Dun Fell road... just round that corner I swear it carries on at about 15-20% for over a km. I only went there once and I was on my noodle framed commuter, with a 39-25. Doesn't sound that bad, but its like a Dartmoor climb perched on top of Crow Road - no steady Alpine grind. Ouch.

20050817f.jpg
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,952
    One of the things on my to do list for the summer is the Antrim Coast Road

From my hometown of Portrush to Belfast

_42319078_antrimroad.jpg

http://ispy.painteddog.net/nitb/coastro ... d_fsn.html

Its about 75 mile and a fair bit of climbing!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I'd love to ride the Bealach na Ba too but it's a long way from Liverpool, might have to split the ride across 2 days :lol:

I'd heard of the Cross Fell road but didn't know it was actually tarmacked - so that's ony list too now.

As for the others - the road between Llanuwchllyn and Trawsfynydd (haven't seen pics of it but it looks remote and hilly on the map), the Elan Valley road (it was in C+ a while back), the Cairnwell Pass and the Lecht road near Braemar, the A9 off Culloden Moor to Inverness would be a cracking descent but too much traffic for my liking... probably plenty of others too.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

And about 2 hours from Great Dun Fell, which is just an amazing road and 650m climb. I have no idea why the Tour of Britain goes to Milton Keynes and Stoke (not offence) and misses roads like these (the route went right past the road up to lowther this year - so frustrating).

Odd isn't it? We have some of the most stunning scenerry in Euriope and it almost totally gets missed.

Shame really as some of the climbs would test even the best of the Worlds Cyclists... imagine the tour going over Hardknott and Wrynose in the Lakes :twisted:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • always_tyred

Odd isn't it? We have some of the most stunning scenerry in Euriope and it almost totally gets missed.

Shame really as some of the climbs would test even the best of the Worlds Cyclists... imagine the tour going over Hardknott and Wrynose in the Lakes :twisted:

But then the Milton Keynes and Newbury tourist boards would miss out on all the good publicity. "Visit MK and we'll see if we can find something interesting for you to do."

I remember when the TdF went through Kent they tried to emphasise the scenery. Canterbury came across well, and was a step up from the A38 outside of Plymouth, but we should really be doing better. Its certainly on a par with bits of northern France, but lets face it, Graham Watsion calendars aren't filled with pictures of northern France.

I mean, by any measure, the scenery in the UK isn't the best in Europe, but its vastly better than most people realise.

Note - both the Lowther and Dun Fell roads are to NATS installations and the tarmac is narrow but generally very good. (The latter has a few broken patches near the top but that is all). The roads in the Highlands only have to be good enough for about 10 cars a year (8 of which are intrepid german tourists, 3 of which are still missing) and aren't generally up to daredevil descending unless you have a spare wheelset.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Anywhere in the Highlands/Cairngorms (only walked/climbed there), the Welsh Beacons (again only walked/done military training) and almost any of the South Island of New Zealand - spent quite some time there in 1999/2000 (long honeymoon) and yet to find anywhere else were mountain drop into a very dramatic ocean. Plus the surf is astonishingly good (Kaikoura - spent 3 weeks there) - only drove and hiked it (including up that big mountain) at the time plus surfed constantly but it would be MTBing heaven.

kaikoura.jpg
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    One of the things on my to do list for the summer is the Antrim Coast Road

I drove east along the coast from Giant's Causeway last year, along a road that was literally hanging off the edge of the cliffs. It was amazing, I would love to go back and ride it sometime.

I can't remember the name of the area, must check on a map, but maybe you know where I mean Wheezy?
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I seem to remember the road into Barmouth from the east being pretty gorgeous, also the pass next to Snowdon is on my to do list (in fact I'd like to spend a fortnight up there with my bike)

The descent from the Col de Bonnette is definitely on my to do list, great video of it here.

Also, when Clarkson Hamster and May found that road that they claimed was the "best driving road in Europe" I got a telling off from Mrs A, didn't say a thing but she could tell what I was thinking, anybody remember where it was? :wink:
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • always_tyred
    It waas the Stelvio pass in Italy (the Dolomites I think). Its regularly in the Giro.

We should restrict the thread to place in the UK. Undoubtedly there are remarkable "I'd like to cycle there" roads in the world, but what about places you might be able to get to at the weekend?

(Btw, I'd like to do that road in Hawaii form sea level to 10000ft.)
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    I can do the Gospel Pass in a day ride from here. It's stunning.

2062324876_f5069f7dae.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    VERY VERY VERY HAPPY to see the Antrim coast road up on here it is with out a dout one of the best roads in the whole of the U.K. :lol: Give it a go you will not be dissopointed
  • iain_j wrote:
    As for the others - the road between Llanuwchllyn and Trawsfynydd (haven't seen pics of it but it looks remote and hilly on the map),
    Funny you should mention that road...

I've driven along the A470 through Traws many a time, on my way to/from Cardiff. The A470 itself there is very, very straight and flat, almost like a plateau in the mountain range. I don't know the side road to Llanuwchllyn, but I seem to recall that at that turning on the A470 there is a bicycle hire shop!
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    iain_j wrote:
    the Cairnwell Pass and the Lecht road near Braemar, the A9 off Culloden Moor to Inverness would be a cracking descent but too much traffic for my liking... probably plenty of others too.

Cairnwell must be imense, a bit twisty on the Bridge of Cally side though?
    The A9 is probably a case of listening to the radio for a crash in the right sort of place, normally it's difficult to find a gap to cross in.

My preference is undulating, crap climber, crap descender, and crap at cornering when going fast.

Really want to do the Eileanan an siar and Cairnwell (see comment above!)
    I have a front BB7 Road on order because the sound of hot pads on rims jsut scares me.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I've always fancied cycling from Oban up the west coast of Scotland and across the Thurso, down to Inverness and then via Loch ness to Oban.

It's about 600 miles.

Bob
  • always_tyred
    beverick wrote:
    I've always fancied cycling from Oban up the west coast of Scotland and across the Thurso, down to Inverness and then via Loch ness to Oban.

It's about 600 miles.

Bob

There are 600 miles of better roads in Scotland. That is a pretty scenic route, but the roads are not the best for cyclists, unfortunately. Because there are no motorways or dual carriageways, much of that route would be pretty hairy, imho, particularly up and down the Great Glen, which is a bad mix of tourists, caravans and coaches, and commercial traffic in a hurry. There are some terrific single track loops around the sea lochs on the west coast, though, which are little travelled and have just eyewatering scenery. One of which is the road to Applecross.
  • I guess I miss out on this local knowledge because i cant drive. I might have to pick your brains AT. Good stuff for a sassenach!
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • always_tyred
    I guess I miss out on this local knowledge because i cant drive. I might have to pick your brains AT. Good stuff for a sassenach!

I spend an unreasonable about of time looking at OS maps!!

I struggle to do anything other than a "routine weekend ride" at the moment, but I know quite a few good places within reach of Edbug. I tend to throw the bike in the car and head off - using public transport would require some thought. I guess you are limited to trains.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    beverick wrote:

It's about 600 miles.

Bob

There are 600 miles of better roads in Scotland. That is a pretty scenic route, but the roads are not the best for cyclists, unfortunately. Because there are no motorways or dual carriageways, much of that route would be pretty hairy, imho, particularly up and down the Great Glen, which is a bad mix of tourists, caravans and coaches, and commercial traffic in a hurry. There are some terrific single track loops around the sea lochs on the west coast, though, which are little travelled and have just eyewatering scenery. One of which is the road to Applecross.
    I can't talk about the Thurso - Inverness - Oban stretch, but Oban to Turso up the west coast is an excellent route; the road surfaces are excellent, traffic is patient, respectful and volume drops the further north you get, dropping dramatically after Ullapool (apparently most tourists don't go further north than there).

Some great scenery and sense of remoteness / wilderness if you want to get away from the urban chaos.

Crapaud recommends this route. 4.5/5
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Anywhere in the Highlands/Cairngorms (only walked/climbed there), the Welsh Beacons (again only walked/done military training) and almost any of the South Island of New Zealand - spent quite some time there in 1999/2000 (long honeymoon) and yet to find anywhere else were mountain drop into a very dramatic ocean. Plus the surf is astonishingly good (Kaikoura - spent 3 weeks there) - only drove and hiked it (including up that big mountain) at the time plus surfed constantly but it would be MTBing heaven.

kaikoura.jpg

Surf-Matt - great shot! I have a very similar one on my screen saver. Did you take that from the cliff top walk? You can park at the "trail head".
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Surf-Matt
    cj - got it from the internet!

We took tonnes of pics but it was pre digi camera time (1999/2000) so all in print.

Did a lot of surfing in Kaikoura and there was a rather secret but amazing surf spot just behind where that shot was (I think) taken from.
    Never surfed anywhere else where you sit in the line up looking at snow capped mountains - utterly amazing place!

When did you go?
  • cjcp

imagine the tour going over Hardknott and Wrynose in the Lakes :twisted:

I've always thought this. In my naive little mind, I've images of the peleton being shattered to bits up the first part of Hardknott and all sorts of zig zagging and wheezing sounds being made. However, the descents are steep, and I wonder if there's a safety issue here. Anyone know this?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    cj - got it from the internet!

We took tonnes of pics but it was pre digi camera time (1999/2000) so all in print.

Did a lot of surfing in Kaikoura and there was a rather secret but amazing surf spot just behind where that shot was (I think) taken from.
    Never surfed anywhere else where you sit in the line up looking at snow capped mountains - utterly amazing place!

When did you go?

(Sorry all - not wanting to hi-jack the thread :) )

My wife and I were there in NZ in March/April 2004. Think we were in Kaikoura later March/early April. We took a year and a half or so out from work in 2003/2004 to travel. We stayed in a campsite just out of town. Popped my head out of the tent the morning after the first night and thought "er, hold the 'phone; there's more snow on them there peaks than there was yesterday."

It's a lovely place. As I'm a bit of goon with technology, I can't post the actual pics I have.

How long did you spend there?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Surf-Matt
    We spent 3 months in NZ (after 2 months in Oz) for an extended honeymoon - 3 weeks in Kaikoura. Bought a car in Auckland and did both islands but liked Kaikoura the most.

Stayed in a great campsite (in a cabin) to the North of the place - Number 69 something or other - apparently the comment I wrote in the guest book is still up on the sign by the road!

We were there for all of December 1999 - spent Xmas there too. Had stacks of good surf, a fun climb of Mt Fyffe and some great food too.

In fact, I want to go back now...!
  • cjcp
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    In fact, I want to go back now...!

Oddly enough, so do I! :D

We only spent six weeks in NZ, four of them on the South Island.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    iain_j wrote:
    As for the others - the road between Llanuwchllyn and Trawsfynydd (haven't seen pics of it but it looks remote and hilly on the map),
    Funny you should mention that road...

I've driven along the A470 through Traws many a time, on my way to/from Cardiff. The A470 itself there is very, very straight and flat, almost like a plateau in the mountain range. I don't know the side road to Llanuwchllyn, but I seem to recall that at that turning on the A470 there is a bicycle hire shop!

It's this one:
    http://streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2 ... 40&A=Y&Z=5

I've driven a bit of the western end of it, out of Coed y Brenin, and even that little bit felt like "back of beyond".

The Cross of Greet road, between Slaidburn and Bentham, is another cracker:
    http://streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2 ... 00&A=Y&Z=5