which seatpost

gloves007uk
gloves007uk Posts: 33
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
right here we go
first of all just like to say hi to every one on this site as i am new to all this
i am looking at upgrading most of my parts on my carrea banshee as its just too heavy the handle bars have gone and replaced with carbon fibre ones the forks have been changed for lighter ones the steam has been upgraded as well
looking at doing the wheels and rear shock very soon and the braking system
but first i want to do the seat post i pulled of the one that came with the bike and it reads 30.0mm
i am after a carbon fibre one but the only sizes i can find are 27.2mm,28.6mm which i rekon will be too small or 31.6mm here is the question will this one fit ?
if not where can i get a 30.0mm carbon fibre seat post from?
help anyone
chris

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    use a 27.2 and a shim.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    use a 27.2 and a shim.

hi there cheers for that dont want to sound stupid what do you mean by a shim and where can i get hold of some?
    chris
  • how long have you had the bike? i thought the banshee was supposed to be a hard hitting FS bike? not sure if i'd like carbon on it if i'm honest....alu bends, carbon snaps!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    how long have you had the bike? i thought the banshee was supposed to be a hard hitting FS bike? not sure if i'd like carbon on it if i'm honest....alu bends, carbon snaps!
    had the bike for around 5 months it gets used for riding x country to work and back 12 miles per day if carbon not the best replacement any body have any ideas what to use that is light and strong?
    chris
  • nicklouse wrote:

cheers for that i get what you mean now
    see that chain reaction cycles does them
    happy as laughing cow now
    chris
  • the banshee didnt get the best review in MBUK for climbs/xc because of its weight.

you usually "feel" more weight loss by changing to lighter wheels etc etc
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    the banshee didnt get the best review in MBUK for climbs/xc because of its weight.

you usually "feel" more weight loss by changing to lighter wheels etc etc

planning on doing that in the near future as the wheels are not the lightest ones
    i liked the look of the bike ie the frame that was one reason why i brought it with intention of upgrading the parts to make it lighter and better
    any body got any ideas on wheels ? lokking at spending around £200-300 on them and what do i need to consider when buying a set ie hubs wheel tyre?
  • all depends on what you want to do i suppose...there was a huge review in mbuk on xc wheelsets....i just so happen to have it here right now :P

they split the review into budget and top end wheels..
    budget XC wheel winner was :- Hope Pro 2 on DT 4.2D (www.hopegb.com) - $285
    top end XC wheel winner was : - DT XR1450 (www.pace-racing.co.uk) - $610

i think there was also an issue with hard hitting/very strong wheelset review.

this issue also had the Banshee xxx review in it... the summary was "the suspension set up makes the banshee xxx massive fun on fast,difficult terrain and big downs. the frame design and stability of the suspension means that its only tough on uphills because of the weight"

Hope some of that helps :)
    B
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That is a monster of a frame to be riding xc on and the roads! The bulk of the weight is in the frame, fork and wheels. For outlty you suggest, you will hardly dent the weight, but if you spent it on a hybrid or roadbike, would be MUCH better for the road!
  • the idea behind getting the bike and upgrading most parts is that when i find some more funds i will buy a lighter frame (this is what i hope to do in the long run) then hopfuly i can tranfrer most parts onto the new frame
    as this is my first bike i am only just getting to grips with things and thought this would be a easier way to do things
    the bike takes a battering xc as i live in hampshire and a normall day to day ride backwards and forwards from work which consists of a 12 mile there and back across salisbury plain so it takes a battering
  • easyg
    easyg Posts: 266
    Hi gloves, just to note I bought my marin frame for £200 on eBay which was a good find granted and possibly a bit spawny! but if you look for long enough you will get a bargain for what you are wanting, its just a matter of patience and time. As sonic says the outlay is going to stack up - for eg spending £285 on wheels would actually cover some or all of the cost of a top frame - eBay always has some, in fact there was a marin just like mine on there the other week now I come to think of it.

Interestingly enough before I created my Marin I had an entry level mongoose which I got instantly addicted to, and was eagerly set to apply some demon tweaks to just as you have explained. I upgraded the forks first with some 130mm rockshox as we were getting much more aggressive in our riding. Noticably the bike didn't suit the forks (was made for 100mm), and after a short while it became apparent that the frame had to be changed if I was to get the most out of them and my riding. The headtube ended up being too short for my new frame (nightmare), so I ended up buying a new set of forks! Moral of the story is I wasted quite a few quid which would have been really handy for some other components.

Anyway, have fun and best regards with it.
    "If you think straight enough, you can see round corners"
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    how long have you had the bike? i thought the banshee was supposed to be a hard hitting FS bike? not sure if i'd like carbon on it if i'm honest....alu bends, carbon snaps!

Why is mtbing so far behind the times when it comes to material technology. No I'll rephrase that the mtbing industry seem to be catching up with the widespread introduction of carbon but it seems that people still need convincing. Carbon fibre is superior to aluminium. When did F1 cars change from aluminium tubs to carbon monocoques for superior strength. Arent large pars of the wings and fuselage on the new airbus made of carbon?
    If you want to replace your handlebars with carbon ones then do it. There will be absolutely no problem with using them on your banshee. If you buy some from a well known brand they will have done millions of hours of research and designed them to be strong enough. They would not risk their reputation on releasing something sub standard.
  • Mmm - I think it might be that you tend to come off more on an MTB than a road bike. Think I'd prefer to sit on a damaged alu seatpost than a carbon one :shock:

As for saving weight, why not try the SDG I Beam seatpost/saddle combo, it saves loads of weight and is comparable with the weight of a carbon set up. Bargains can also be had at the moment http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits ... elID=23386. I use this on my best ( nice and shiny) MTB and have had no problems with it.