Shimano RSX 14 (plus other stupid questions about old bikes)

Onan
Onan Posts: 321
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
I have no idea what this is. Is it an old groupset? Is it before full integration? I'm lost in the world of second hand bikes.
Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have RSX 7 speed STI shifters on my 1997 Dawes Audax - so I imagine that's what RSX 14 is (although my Audax is a triple, so its a 21 speed) - good STI shifters, probably on a par with Tiagra/105 in its day. Mine have worked flawlessly since then, even having had a couple of major crashes.

They look like this

1f3126131ZZZZZZZZZ8ar617f64a60ad91a02.jpg

However, there were also RSX groupsets with downtube levers so you had better not assume they are STI's
  • Onan
    I see. So they're old, but not that old, and full integration. Thanks for your help.

Out of curiosity, how compatible are things like old shifters with new components, and vice-versa? If something goes on an older bike, is it time for a totally new groupset, or can you mix and match?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited October 2008
    Onan wrote:
    I see. So they're old, but not that old, and full integration. Thanks for your help.
    but as I said, they did also do RSX downtube shifters
    Out of curiosity, how compatible are things like old shifters with new components, and vice-versa? If something goes on an older bike, is it time for a totally new groupset, or can you mix and match?

Well, I'm not too sure, but I think the only issues are that the 7 speed shifter needs a 7 speed cassette. I did change the chainset for an Ultegra Hollowtech II chainset two years ago - that worked fine with the shifters. I had already swapped the frongt mech for Ultegra before I got the chainset, but I reckon the old RSX mech would have worked just the same. The Shifters certainly worked fine with the new Ultegra front mech.

I would like to upgrade to 9 or 10 speed but that would cost me a new wheel build, cassette and shifters, so I am waiting till something breaks, 7 speed aint that bad (I have 9 speed and 10 speed on my other bikes and I certainly don't miss the extra gears on the 7 speed).
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    You can mix and match most things. The things that really count are the shifter, cassette and chain. However, there are some oddballs, like Dura Ace 10 speed freehubs and older 7 speed freehubs, most of the Dura Ace 8 speed group etc. Shimano is often pretty good at intercompatibility.
  • Onan
    Good stuff. Thanks all.

This site is a great resourse.
  • Onan
    Continuing the trend of asking stupid questions about second hand bikes, how much heavier would a double butted chromoly frame be to the modern 7005 alu variety?

I know many of you ride old steel frames as winter bikes. How much of a difference do you notice?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I have 8 speed RSX and it's fine stuff for old stuff. Very reliable and very smooth shifting
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW RSX was the predecessor to Sora - which was introduced around 2000. Cassettes, chains and spares are readily available for 7-speed drivetrains so you don't need to junk them just yet.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..