what is meant by maxel conversion

Br@inDe@d_Biker
Br@inDe@d_Biker Posts: 22
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
I was just wondering what is meant by maxel conversion? im not too sure what the pro's and cons of it are and in what situation you would get one. any help would be appreciated

chris
Santa Cruz Blur LT 2 & a cove stiffee

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a Maxel is a bigger diameter tube axle.

what are you really wanting to know in relationship to what?
    Fork/hubs/frames?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • i didnt know that a maxel could be incorperated into so much of the bike... im not a little bit of explination on all?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The bits need to be compatible to start.
  • The maxle is a quick release 20mm thru' axle. Certain tougher forkes (e.g RS Pike) use a 20mm through axle instead of a standard 10mm axle and QR skewer. The forks are specifically designed to take the maxle and a front hub capable of accepting a 20mm thru' axle is also required.

The main benefit is a stiffer front end (ooh er missus). The Maxle, I believe, is a specifically from RockShox and offers all the benefits of quick relase and a 20mm thru' axle.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I was just wondering what is meant by maxel conversion? im not too sure what the pro's and cons of it are and in what situation you would get one. any help would be appreciated

chris

Maxle is a quick-release through axle system developed by Sram/Rock Shox. It is available in two sizes, 20mm for the front axle and 12mm for the rear. The advantages are that having a larger diameter axle increase the stiffness of the fork/axle and frame/axle interface.

A front Maxle conversion is fairly easy. You'll need new Rock Shox forks with a through axle (e.g. Argyle, Pike, Domain, Lyrik, Totem, Boxxer) and a compatible front hub, such as a Hope Pro II, Nuke Proof, Ringle, etc. Shimano and Mavic now also offer 20mm front hubs.

The rear conversion is more difficult and is entirely dependent upon whether your frame has removable/interchangeable dropouts. You will need to obtain the correct dropouts, compatible hub and the 12mm Maxle itself.

Of course if your frame doesn't have interchangeable dropouts (and more don't than do), then unless you're prepared to buy a new frame too then it's a complete non-starter.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • jojo90
    jojo90 Posts: 178
    couldn't you just drill the holes out a little bit :D?
  • really appreciate the help guys! makes sence now :)