Tyres UST or not to UST

Dr S
Dr S Posts: 146
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
I need a set of less treacherous tyres than the super slick fast rolling jobbies my kona came with. The rims are UST ready (Mavic CrossMax SLR's)

Should I go UST or not? 2.1's or 1.8?

Nobby Nics? rated any good? What else is good light and grippy?

Cheers

Nick
Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
Scott Spark 20 the softtail
Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I would cay look at Tubeless Ready tyres - designed specifically to be used with sealant to you get the advantages of a UST set up with lighter weight. Bontrager and Hutchinson do them. 2.1 is a good width for most XC application.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    UST is good if everything is compatible.

I'd go 2.1" if you've got good clearance and then trailraker UST on the front and a Rampage UST on the back, assuming plenty of mud where you are.

And use some sealant.
  • BlackSpur
    UST is good if everything is compatible.

I'd go 2.1" if you've got good clearance and then trailraker UST on the front and a Rampage UST on the back, assuming plenty of mud where you are.

And use some sealant.

Many maufactueres say that the warranty of their UST tyres is invalidated by the use of tiqiud sealant, which is stupid. Possibly one reason to choose Tubeless Ready?
  • ride_whenever
    Blackspur, that's a good point...

but have you, or anyone you know, warrantied a pair of tyres ever?
  • BlackSpur
    Fair point :wink: Nice to have the option though, a customer came into the shop last week when the bead on his tyre was coming away from the rim after 2 weeks use.
  • ride_whenever
    So if i get this right tubeless ready has a UST bead, but isn't airtight. And only Bonty and Hutchinson do them?
  • BlackSpur
    From WMB
    ...these were the first tyres made specifically to be used with sealants. That approach is the opposite to UST's, which are made specifically for use with UST rims and you don't have to use aliquid sealant with them.......
    ..... There's nothing wrong with UST tyres, but the Tubeless Ready option saves weight and doesn't have to involve new rims... We can't really think of a reason not to go for Tubeless Ready the next timer you buy tyres. It's th future

TR won the WMB Innovation of the Year award. Yes, they use a UST type bead but I'm not sure about them being artight or not. Geax do them too.
  • ride_whenever
    So you use them with a UST rim right?
  • BlackSpur
    You can use them with a UST rim or a converted regular rim.