rigid fork length to replace cheap fork (i.e less sag)

cborrman
cborrman Posts: 125
edited October 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I had a rockhopper with the standard tora and judy forks, which basically have little or no sag. Put it this way, I though you only had sag on my wallowy old kona stinky, but not on XC forks, until i recently bought the brilliant 09 SIDs.

To complicate matters further, the SIDs pressure reference is quite out, in that the pressure recommended for my weight has no sag at all, and by the time I had the sag tuned I had bought an epic frame, with much slacker head angle, where the SID has been evermore.

I am now rebuilding the old rockhopper for richmond park training, and rather than haul 2.5kg or carppy Tora lard aorund, was thinking of getting a rigid carbon fork.

I have seen this thread answered before, and it says, take sag into account, but these answers assume "proper" forks that usse their full travel and sag properly and are designed to be properly set-up.

What are your throughts for a replacemenet to a rockhopper which:

a) has quite twitchy 70 (?) degree steep head angle to start with

b) is mostly sold with a "crappy" fork that at best probably only sags 5-10%, but also sold with great forks like the reba

c) was designed to be used by people who never even touch the fork settings and may have it at stiffest setting all the time anyway

d) has anyone run a rockhopper with slacker, tighter head andles and what is the result for basically high speed light xc training on sand-covered hardpack

finally also, has anyone tried these trigon, etc. carbon forks that are on ebay for £130 and look suspiciously like the richey carbon wcs at thre times the price?
s-works stumpy FSR, sl2 tarmac, siglespeed rockhopper and a bog standard allez

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'm looking at CF rigids atm, and super recommended the exotic ones from ebay.

You just want the same axle to crown height as the sagged fork. They should be listed on the manufacturers website.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Or look in the FAQ's for the lengths.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • jojo90
    jojo90 Posts: 178
    superstars look like the eXotic forks just with a different logo :)?
  • cborrman
    cborrman Posts: 125
    do the superstars, exotic, etc come with the pants logo in flourescent yellow already on? who would want any logo in that colour, in that size, covering the beauty that is carbon weave under shiny epoxy resin?
    s-works stumpy FSR, sl2 tarmac, siglespeed rockhopper and a bog standard allez
  • I had a set of the Pace Rigid forks and they were great. They flexed a lot as they had a small rubber elastomiser to take some shock away. Why not go for a 29er front wheel as well as the rigid forks? I've seen it and tried it and it worked well for me.... :lol:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    jojo90 wrote:
    superstars look like the eXotic forks just with a different logo :)?

Most probably are, or if not the same very similar

Superstar man saya this on the site
    Hmmmm doesnt this fork look familiar, I know of at lease 5 companies selling it as their own. Some charge £160, some charge £130.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    the reason the tora and judy dont sag is because it has the wrong spring for you. Of course you will get the right sag with a reba or sid, are air forks! Tora coil is a good fork. I'd go for 440mm length. Have a look at exotic forks on ebay.