Etape 2009 - some confusion...

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
Ok, apologies for starting another thread on this, just wanted to clarify a few things:

I'm an Etape first timer. Have I got the options for entry correct?:-
1. Pay €195 for entry only through Cyclomundo
2. Pay nothing now and pay for an inclusive package later in the month (coach or 'make your own way' - any idea on costs of these?)
3. Find a friendly Frenchman to enter through Velo magazine on your behalf - is this now cutting it too fine?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    On option three there is no guarantee that you'll get an entry as they put all the entries in a hat and then draw out the number of places they've reserved.
  • Michuel
    Michuel Posts: 269
    steerpike wrote:
    Ok, apologies for starting another thread on this, just wanted to clarify a few things:

2. Pay nothing now and pay for an inclusive package later in the month (coach or 'make your own way' - any idea on costs of these?)
    3. Find a friendly Frenchman to enter through Velo magazine on your behalf - is this now cutting it too fine?

Thanks in advance

1 is £140, I think there's a few others also. Ron at etape.org.uk used to do this.
    2 check SportingTours plus quite a few others, maybe LeisurePursuits
    3 or don't find a friendly Frenchman and do it yourself. All you should need is a copy of Velo end of Jan or Feb I think, then you've got 2-3 weeks. It used to be a lottery for these places.

Maybe I'm out of date tho I don't think so.
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    thanks guys - what is making me nervous is Cyclomundo website reporting that if I'm going for Entry Only then I need to pay by tomorrow! I don't want to miss the boat on this but don't really have time to investigate all options before tomorrow. I think I may wait and try and book a tour as Options 1 and 3 seem too risky (I dont want to be stranded with no accomodation)
  • i went with a guided tour this year and though it was expensive (£450 for 3 nights) it was very hastle free and having a comfortable gite with a hot shower and loads of food and beer at the finish was brilliant after such a cold wet ride. I'm definately going to do the same again this year and i'd especially recommmend it for your first time.
    pm
  • dmb
    dmb Posts: 26
    Mike who did you go with??
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    1. I pre-registered with Cyclomundo for an entry only place this time. I received my email and paid yesterday. If this is still available, this is a way to go...but, not only do you have to manage the logistics yourself (hotels, etc), the cost of this means that overall cost won't necessarily be lower than a package. It's flexible - which is what I need as I may not be in Europe during next summer.

2. I did this when I rode the 2007 edition. Some good points - meet loads of nice people. Some bad points: sharing rooms with someone snoting in a two star hotel in France. The main advantage is that all of the logistics and thinking is done for you. Given that so many people get quite stressed about the significance of the Étape (as opposed to, say, UK sportives), it's nice to have someone else organising your 3am breakfast and travel to the start.

3. Others will be better able to advise - I know nothing of this route.

Good luck, and whatever you do, you'll love it - the feeling of riding with several thousand other cyclists is ace.
  • dmb wrote:
    Mike who did you go with??

Cyclomundo, and again for next year
    pm
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    steerpike wrote:

Option 4 turn up the day before and enter on the line!!!!
    In 2007 we went to register and collect our free stuff and they mistakenly thought we wanted to enter there and then which was an option. Maybe after Alp d' Huez and the heat and the prospect of 5 tough Pyreneean cols numbers were down that year or maybe it often occurs that there is space.

I used to enter through Velo Magazine and it was stressful waiting / checking the website to see if an entry had been given so now find £135 for the certainty of a place a much preferred option.
  • niedermeyer
    niedermeyer Posts: 1,075
    steerpike wrote:
    thanks guys - what is making me nervous is Cyclomundo website reporting that if I'm going for Entry Only then I need to pay by tomorrow! I don't want to miss the boat on this but don't really have time to investigate all options before tomorrow. I think I may wait and try and book a tour as Options 1 and 3 seem too risky (I dont want to be stranded with no accomodation)

I'm sure you could take the entry option now and they'd be happy to upgrade you to a package later (they make very little on entry only)
    edited October 2008
    You'll need to be in France in January and return the Velo mag form within 2 or 3 days of it hitting the French news-stands. Wait until imported copies arrive in the UK and it'll be too late.
  • Also, if for some reason they suspect you're a Brit who doesn't have a permanent address in France the form will be returned with a note telling you to apply through a British company approved to offer Etape packages.
  • Michuel
    Michuel Posts: 269
    Also, if for some reason they suspect you're a Brit who doesn't have a permanent address in France the form will be returned with a note telling you to apply through a British company approved to offer Etape packages.

That must be something new. I applied from London for 2 people about 2 or 3 years ago - myself in London and an Italian in Milan. Through the lottery the Italian got in but I didn't. Velo is on sale in London and the entry form didn't say anything about Brits not being able to enter.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    Michuel wrote:
    That must be something new. I applied from London for 2 people about 2 or 3 years ago - myself in London and an Italian in Milan. Through the lottery the Italian got in but I didn't. Velo is on sale in London and the entry form didn't say anything about Brits not being able to enter.
    It is new. It was introduced a couple of years ago and you now require an address in a country where Velo is officially sold, so France, Belgium and Switzerland I believe, as your registered address.

My understanding is that the organisers were becoming alarmed at the number of foreign riders who were ill prepared for a ride as tough as the Etape. By restricting entry to them via official tour companies the idea is that the tour company now has to deal with the problem of riders abandoning mid route rather than the organisers.
  • niedermeyer
    niedermeyer Posts: 1,075
    andyp wrote:
    Michuel wrote:
    It is new. It was introduced a couple of years ago and you now require an address in a country where Velo is officially sold, so France, Belgium and Switzerland I believe, as your registered address.

My understanding is that the organisers were becoming alarmed at the number of foreign riders who were ill prepared for a ride as tough as the Etape. By restricting entry to them via official tour companies the idea is that the tour company now has to deal with the problem of riders abandoning mid route rather than the organisers.

Andy - I am involved with one of the operators and I can tell you that these stories about ASO being worried about the failure rates of Brits is an urban myth. They don't give a monkey's about drop outs - they certainly don't want everybody finishing and ruining the event's 'fearsome' reputation. What they do want is extra revenue - they charge the operators 65€ more than the public, so multiply this by 2,500 = 162,500€ extra revenue. They are in theory prevented by European competition law from banning overseas people from the velo magazine draw, although I suppose they could argue that they can exempt themselves because of the higher postage charges that they would incur sending stuff out; that would be one for the lawyers. (is Spen around?)
  • I am living in France now...so will enter via velo mag...I am a new club member here so my license when I get it should get me in without the doctors cert.But I think you need a doctors cert to get in thru velomag?.I am also going to enter for 2 or 3 mates who are coming over from sydney so they will only have translated doctor certs but a French address...not sure what affect this will have.Very interested in the entry on the line post thou...as I was going to ask if just 1 or 2 of us do get in..is there anything to stop the others just turning up and riding it?.
    For me my number one ride is the Marmotte as you are pretty much gauranteed a entry to that (am I right on that?)...hope some one knows more than me! :roll:
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    We booked EO with Cyclomundo last year, then upgraded to a self-travel 3 night accomondation package when we couldn't book any hotels. Cost was EUR 400 plus chunnel, tolls, petrol, beer etc