confused total beginner.

velocerandy
velocerandy Posts: 32
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
i'm totally new to mountain biking but really want to get into it as i'm from yorkshire and love all it hs to offer outdoorwise.

i just bought my scale 50 but fear i may have jumped the gun a bit without doing research first.

i doubt i'll be doing big jumps and drops but like the idea of long roughish trails. i also use the same bike to get to work on the road.

i went for the hardtail after owning an old marin shoreline and found the rear sus made it harder to pedal.

i also went for an xl frame as i found a chart that related my inside leg to the size and was later told i should have gone for a smaller size.

can anyone give me advice or point me in the direction of a dummies guide.

ta
Scott Scale 50 (09)

Comments

• The scale 50 is an ideal bike for trails provided you don't try to jump it. It is basically a lightweight cross country machine. In terms of size, you should be able to stand astride the top tube and still have at least a couple of inches of crotch clearance.

If you like the bike and it fits you OK there is no reason why you shouldn't enjoy riding it, I know several people with Scales who use them on trails like Cwmcarn and Afan without problems.

It is also generally reckoned to be worth taking the time to hone your riding skills on a hardtail before moving on to a full susser.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • thanx mate.

also looking for somewhere to spend a few days riding early next year. somewhere nice but not too difficult. as long as there is a good hostel and a decent pub.

any recommendations?
    Scott Scale 50 (09)
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    thanx mate.

also looking for somewhere to spend a few days riding early next year. somewhere nice but not too difficult. as long as there is a good hostel and a decent pub.

any recommendations?

The Brecon Beacons has some really nice runs and great scenery, the Killer Loop is very exciting with amazing views and a few technical descents. One of the funnest rides i have done to date especially when riding through stream after stream and getting soaked! These combined with the sheep troughs make for a very exciting and fun ride. At 40k its reasonably tiring especially as it is just climb after climb, then there's also the sections which aren't ride able so bike on shoulder time, but when the descents come, it makes it much more rewarding.

There is also a great place to stay called the Castle Inn which is at the starting point of the Killer Loop. Friendly owners who offer camping for £3 a night, B&B and also bunk beds.
  • nice one.
    Scott Scale 50 (09)