Thinking of moving from hybrid?

markybhoy67
markybhoy67 Posts: 346
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Hi guys, first post in here so be gentle :D

At the moment I have a ridgeback nemesis hybrid bike that I use for commuting to work (10 miles each way) and this serves me well.

I have the chance of a second hand (seller says he has only done about 100 miles) Specialized Allez Triple 2008 bike with about £150 off accessories for £300.

I was thinking that I could use this bike in the lighter (I will be able to see the pot holes :D ) months of the year for commuting. I was also thinking of maybe and that is a big maybe :lol: joining a bike club for some company on long distance runs.

The thing is I know nothing about road bikes so would appreciate some help here 8)

Would this bike be noticeably faster than my hybrid which is pretty fast for me (I have had it at 35mph going downhill admittedly) or would I be better spending a bit more for a fast bike?

I would like to buy a bike that will do me a while without me having to start upgrading parts after a few weeks, I realise that the parts on the bike aren't top of the range shimano but are they good enough to get me into road biking?

Thanks for reading and appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Mark

Comments

• That deal on the Allez sounds like a steal to me. I moved from a Hybrid to a Trek Road Bike a few years ago. At first I found it uncomfortable. You soon get used to it though. You should find the Allez faster and more agile on the flats and uphill.
  • That deal on the Allez sounds like a steal to me. I moved from a Hybrid to a Trek Road Bike a few years ago. At first I found it uncomfortable. You soon get used to it though. You should find the Allez faster and more agile on the flats and uphill.

Thanks for the advice cyclingpunk, the ride position is one of the things concerning me.

I think I will just have to take it out for a test ride and see how I get on with it.

I do like the idea of a lighter bike as most of my ride home from work is uphill and this can be a bugger after a 12 hour shift so so far it sounds good.

I do think the deal is a no brainer as well but I wouldn't like to get right into it and then start upgrading straight away as most purchases have to get the approval of the missus first :oops:

:lol:
  • If the bike has £150 of upgrades, I wouldn't worry about upgrades yet. If it fits you, why not. I use a road bike to commute on. They are faster than Hybrids. The only thing is that you can't fit mudguards.... :(
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103

Would this bike be noticeably faster than my hybrid which is pretty fast for me (I have had it at 35mph going downhill admittedly) or would I be better spending a bit more for a fast bike?

Yes, a Road bike will be noticeably faster in virtually any scenario - they roll much better, they freewheel much better, they accelerate much better, they go uphill much better etc, etc. Spending a "bit" more won't get you a noticably faster Road bike than the one you've mentioned - you would have to spend substantially more (ie £1000-1200) to get something a "bit" better than the Allez. As you're starting out with Road bikes, personally I'd stick with the Allez for now (over Winter) - you could always sell it next April/May if you catch the bug and want a better bike for the Summer and onwards.
  • Well the frame is pretty good so it could take some upgrades if you wanted to in the future. Like most people though I would suggest getting the Allez and then when the parts ware you can upgrade as you need to replace. Just make sure it is the right size for you. If it is far too small/big no amount of adjusting can make it better!
  • Thanks for the advice guys and just to summarise as my original post was very long and probably boring :lol:

I will be using my hybrid over winter, I would probably not use the road bike for commuting until about February due to me leaving the house at 05.30 to go to work and some of the road surfaces ain't that good and it will probably still be dark.

There has been no upgrades on the bike, the accessories are cat eye lights, saddle bag with tools and a cycling helmet and a cateye computer.

I will speak to the guy and ask to take it out for a spin to see how it feels.

Cheers
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    I have come from a Hybrid to a racer and I had forgotten how quick they there ( I use to ride one years ago ).
    If me it did not take long to get used to it but you will notice the difference right away and for that monet to get you going is a good deal.

i would say it if it fits, give it a go and if you dont like it.
    you will get your money back when you sell it but I dont think that will happen :wink: