Riding Buddy Required

pjh
pjh Posts: 204
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
I've been riding for 12 months now and riding solo almost all of the time.

Over the last month or two I've started to struggle with my motivation somewhat and I'm certain that riding in a group or with a regular riding buddy would help this.

I also see a lot of local riders riding 'solo' and wonder whether they might feel the same?

Strikes me that a 'riding buddies' section of this whole forum would be a good idea for those looking for a bit of company, motivation or even some inspiration :D

Personally I'm not into racing and so the club scene doesn't really appeal (I ride for fitness and to control my weight more than anything else).

I'm 42 and ride typically 25-45 miles a couple of times a week depending on time and normally avge about 16mph over rolling country. I also ride all year round except when it's raining cats & dogs or if there's ice about! I try to get out a bit more often during the summer evenings .. even just for a quick hour's blast.

So if anyone's interested let me know (I ride the Wansford, Oundle, Harringworth areas mostly). If not ... well nothing lost :) (but perhaps the forum moderators would consider a section like this for others?)

Cheers,

Paul.

It's great to be .....

Comments

• Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    when i ride solo i just listen to my mp3, some might say its dangerous but i have never had any probs cos i can still hear traffic and it keeps your mind of the fact you might be climbing a really long hill
  • Jd987
    Jd987 Posts: 9
    I agree with the original post. It would be very useful to have a forum section on biking buddies
  • pjh
    Thanks 'whyamihere'.

I'm not sure that's quite what I had in mind though. There's only one other person sharing my opinion so far, so perhaps there isn't the demand (or maybe they're just shy?) :D

I would imagine that many of the people that ride for the reasons I do (which must be a decent percentage) would be interested in this ...

Come on peeps ... if you don't come forward no-one will believe me :lol:

It's great to be .....
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    yes I am of the same opinion about having a biking buddies section. Good idea ... I have always ridden solo but would like to find someone to partner with ....
  • id quite like a buddies section, had my first ride with a buddy yesterday and it seems to take your mind off what your actualy doing
  • Naz
    Naz Posts: 353
    Join a club. They are not just for racers. I go on rides every weekend with clubmates that I get on with. Some of us race, some don't. But above all we all love riding our bikes. It'll also open up a whole new world of trips abroad, cycling weekends etc
  • giant_man
    Yes it really does, and you don't notice the miles as much at all .....
  • Jd987
    Jd987 Posts: 9
    i am thinking of joining a cycling club. hope to find a club this week.

thanks "whyamihere" for posting the link to Sportives and Road Rides section. But looking at some of the posting, it all appear to be for people who are more experienced. I am a bit scared whether I will be thrown out for looking for somebody to ride along on a Sunday morning with a newbie :?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'd always ridden solo (sometimes with my nephew), but I joined a club a couple of months ago, and it's taken me well outside my comfort level - IMHO the best way of improving.

I'm still a slow climber, but I'm getting better and feel like I'm really improving every week.

Join a club, take yourself outside your comfort zone, and see your improvements.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Join a club

Completely transformed my riding...
  • paul27
    paul27 Posts: 515
    As a solo rider for quite some time, joining a club has certainly
    helped my motivation, having said that i'm sure its not always that easy.

I think a ride buddies section would be a good move
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    I've suggested a club/chaingang section on this forum a few years ago. The problem with the rides section is that if people don'r keep posting the subject moves down the page and onto the next.

Road Cycling UK has a chaingang page but it's obviously a bit more race orientated.

Why not form your own 'group'. I met up with one guy purely by chance 20 years and now we have getting on for 200 members on our email list. These people range from people who can barely pootle 7 miles to full-on racers. We have 2 road groups meeting every Tuesday evening one steady and one fast.

I'm sure if I hadn't met up with my mate all those years ago I would have given up long ago, as it is I'm now 44 and have had the pleasure of many like minded inspiring individuals.

All it takes is a poster in the bike shop, maybe a simple website and some email contacts.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    don't rule out clubs because you don't want to race. In my experience a good number of club riders don't race - and the club I joined couldn't do enough to help - depends on the club I suppose - but it is a myth that all club members are elite roadies - who all go under the hour foe 25 !
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I enjoy riding solo through the week but at the weekend I do enjoy the socialbility of riding with other people, so I joined a club and it has improved my cycling no end. If you do go down the club route you won't regret it.
  • hothead
    hothead Posts: 123
    Im in a club but we dont have any type of club runs due to location of members and low numbers. No-one lives anywhere close to me and I think Buddy section would be a really good idea.
  • yogi
    don't rule out clubs because you don't want to race. In my experience a good number of club riders don't race - and the club I joined couldn't do enough to help - depends on the club I suppose - but it is a myth that all club members are elite roadies - who all go under the hour foe 25 !

Quite....it depends on the club!
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    If you're struggling for motivation then maybe you need to try a different route? It can get pretty boring when you have the same scenery all the time, so try to vary your route. Try looking on a map and set youself a target and it won't be so boring.

I ride solo and I hardly ever struggle with motivation, when I'm fed up with a certain route, I take a different route and that makes it more interesting.
  • redddraggon
    yogi wrote:

Quite....it depends on the club!

Hell, getting under the hour for a 25, doesn't mean you can also climb fast, and a lot of club runs are hilly(ish).
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I am also considering joining a local club- but just don't want to be too embarrased when they leave me for dead on the climbs :oops:
  • redddraggon
    welshcrowe wrote:
    I am also considering joining a local club- but just don't want to be too embarrased when they leave me for dead on the climbs :oops:

Whereabouts in North Wales are you?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • harkins
    harkins Posts: 25
    I’d like to find a cycling buddy as riding solo is ok now and again but I find it can be easy to curtail a ride on a horrible day or even if I’m just struggling. I have ridden with a club but I personally found riding with a club a very mixed experience.

On the one hand it solved the route planning problem and the motivation problem and forced me to push myself. But on the other hand it introduced the too much too soon and the getting dropped problems. Going from 40ish miles at 15mph average to 70, 80 even 90 miles at that speed or even worse 50 odd miles at 18+ is a killer.

The last group ride I did was a flattish 50 odd miler. The first bit at 17mph was ok but when the lead pair changed and it went up to 19mph. I lasted barely 10 mins! It didn’t help that I was unfortunately paired with the person who decided that a significant pace increase was necessary – and thus having to punch my own way through the air at this speed. So I had to make my apologies and drop off and ride round on my todd. Call me soft but I haven’t recovered from the psychological blow yet and can’t bring myself to ride with them again.

So finding a similarly fit and paced ridding buddy is perhaps an ideal situation for many. I can’t imagine being dropped when there are just two of you.
  • redddraggon
    harkins wrote:
    But on the other hand it introduced the too much too soon and the getting dropped problems.

Some clubs are like that, the stories on the website of my local North Wales club are scary, it seems normal to attempt to try and drop people and finished the ride with a small a group as possible. My nephew is looking to join a club, but he needs encouragement, not being left behind every ride. Luckily my club is rather forgiving to slow climbers like me.
    harkins wrote:
    The last group ride I did was a flattish 50 odd miler. The first bit at 17mph was ok but when the lead pair changed and it went up to 19mph. I lasted barely 10 mins! It didn’t help that I was unfortunately paired with the person who decided that a significant pace increase was necessary – and thus having to punch my own way through the air at this speed.

I feel for you, I can handle being at the front going fast on the "flat", but as soon as the road slopes up even a slight amount, I feel I'm going to blow up as the group continues as if it's perfectly flat, but luckily there's normally people lagging at the back in the same situation as me that I can "hang" with, and feel not so guilty about the group having to wait if we get dropped.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • giant_man
    I think if riders who wanted a partner wanted to join a club, we would have done so by now. Too structured personally, and riding speeds do vary so much.

I have absolutely no desire to join a club at all .....
  • pjh
    yogi wrote:
    Why not form your own 'group'. I met up with one guy purely by chance 20 years and now we have getting on for 200 members on our email list. These people range from people who can barely pootle 7 miles to full-on racers. We have 2 road groups meeting every Tuesday evening one steady and one fast.

I'm sure if I hadn't met up with my mate all those years ago I would have given up long ago, as it is I'm now 44 and have had the pleasure of many like minded inspiring individuals.

All it takes is a poster in the bike shop, maybe a simple website and some email contacts.

Good idea Yogi ... I'll stick a notice in the local Post Office window and see what happens :D
    I think if riders who wanted a partner wanted to join a club, we would have done so by now. Too structured personally, and riding speeds do vary so much.

I have absolutely no desire to join a club at all .....
    ... I have to agree.

Still think a 'ride buddies' section is a good idea though :wink:

In the meantime ahem .... there's still a vacancy or two to buddy with the OP :D

It's great to be .....
  • Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    I would never join a club, even if I was fit enough. I just don't mix well with others.

I would ride with a good friend though. Small groups and less structure/competitiveness would suit me.
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    What about CTC local groups? Notts DA has 4 regular rides - from the "Top Tourers" down to Easy Rides. Distance and speed vary accordingly - and easy to move up (or down!) as get fitter (or older). If not a CTC Member the usual "rule" as I recall is 4 outings as a guest, then expected to join!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Reddragon

I live in Flintshire - Buckley to be exact - so Deeside is probably my nearset club.
  • redddraggon
    welshcrowe wrote:
    Reddragon

I live in Flintshire - Buckley to be exact - so Deeside is probably my nearset club.

I'm from Buckley. The stories I hear of Deeside Olympic don't look very enticing.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • yogi
    Good idea Yogi ... I'll stick a notice in the local Post Office window and see what happens

You could always try a phone-box.