Lighting Up

Maglia nera
Maglia nera Posts: 14
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Would anybody be able to recommend any BS6102-3 compliant front and rear cycle lights (all types). I understand the choice of "legal" cycle lights is rather small.

Many thanks

Maglia Nera
Living in East Kent has it's perks. France is 21 miles away. A very different riding experience!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I wouldnt bother too much with 'legal'.

Start off with 'brightest you can get for your money'. Being seen is better than being squashed but legal.

Do a search for the 100s of other threads on lights.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    If your paranoid about the legality:

Got to a shop and find a pair of cheap BS approved lights, use these as your "Position lamps" fit then on either the centre line or off side.

Now go and ge the best light set you can afford, position them appropriately as your "Auxiluary" lamps.

Your position lamps are BS approved and as long as your Auxilluary lamps show either White or Selective Yellow to the front and red to the back and do not dazzle other road users, they do not need to be BS approved. (or for that matter fitted on centre line or offside)

or get a decent pair of German approved lights (you could probably comfotably use the EU Equivalent clause with them as the UK and Germany usualyl have the strictest rules, it's jsut in the case of bike lights they are beind the times)
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    I've never really understood it myself - except that if you have no light, or an obviously very bad light they will stop you...

I have a main front and back light, and a 'back up' but still good light as well, at both ends. My back up back light is still pretty good though. I also have one of those bands with the red LEDs on, which I wear on my upper arm sometimes.