What on earth is wrong with school science lessons?

2»

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    mr_hippo wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Pity they don't teach you how to write properly.
    That's a bit harsh there Adam. a) This is a cycle forum not an exam, he's just giving vague ideas about Red Shift, etc b) if we're going to expect exacting standards, then it's the Doppler effect, not the doppler effect
    Why do think that it is a bit harsh? Just how difficult is it to write in your native language?
    By saying "This is a cycle forum not an exam...", are you implying that the use of 'sloppy' English is alright when you are not taking exams?
    You are right in calling this a forum but it is also your showcase - if posters want to parade their ignorance of their native language then it is up to them. They may have something interesting to say but why should I spend my valuable time trying to decipher posts?
    Please ensure that your English is correct before correcting others. You need a comma between 'there' and 'Adam', a full stop after 'etc' and, in this case, a full stop to end your sentence!

It's not that difficult, but most poeple my age and most poeple the age of the poster, never bother doing it on the internet. FWIW Adam's comment just seemed a bit flippant and nasty. Finally I know my grammar/punctuation and spelling leaves a lot to be desired sometimes, however, you evidently got the general gist of my post, even though some punctuation was missing.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/education/3254233/GCSE-standards-deliberately-lowered-to-make-sure-pupils-pass.html

"The Assessment and Qualifications Alliance - Britain's biggest exam board - said it lowered grade boundaries in science tests to make papers less demanding than previous years.
    In an extraordinary admission, officials insisted they had been forced into the move "under pressure" from the Government's exam regulator."

"According to the Times Educational Supplement, they failed to come to an agreement over the mark needed to get a C - officially a good pass - in science. One of AQA's rival exam boards awarded C grades in one paper to pupils getting just 20 per cent of questions correct. On August 7 - just two weeks before results were published - Ofqual wrote to the AQA ordering them to reduce its own grade boundaries to "bring it into line" with other boards"
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.