1 month off = pain!

FixedNewbie
FixedNewbie Posts: 47
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
The Faffing about with moving house has meant that ive not really been on my bike for a month. So this morning I mapped out what will be my new commute for the next few months and set off on my way. Its a lovely journey, out in the countryside but there is a lot of rolling hills, down to 40rpm on one of the climbs!

19miles and total (1 wrong turn) and i was surprised how tired I was ten miles in! So for anyone thinking about stopping for the winter - DONT! I reckon its going to be a few weeks before I manage to get on top of this one!!

P.S. Utter respect for anyone cycling in London, I visited there for the first time last weekend and ive never seen so much traffic!

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I had 2 weeks of for a holiday and came back to find that my lungs had been swapped for cardiac arrest simulators. Painful it was.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Baytt
    Baytt Posts: 102
    i feel your pain :) i had to take over a month off after a hospital visit. been getting back into it these last 2 weeks and felt totally crap .
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Don't stop...oh never.......
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    The Faffing about with moving house has meant that ive not really been on my bike for a month. So this morning I mapped out what will be my new commute for the next few months and set off on my way. Its a lovely journey, out in the countryside but there is a lot of rolling hills, down to 40rpm on one of the climbs!

19miles and total (1 wrong turn) and i was surprised how tired I was ten miles in! So for anyone thinking about stopping for the winter - DONT! I reckon its going to be a few weeks before I manage to get on top of this one!!

P.S. Utter respect for anyone cycling in London, I visited there for the first time last weekend and ive never seen so much traffic!

Correct, even a week out can set you back.

I read some medical research that stated you must continue regular exercise for it to have any benefit.

It's like going to the gym, take a few weeks off and you're back to the beginning again.
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Oh yes. Two out of the last 3 winters I've hibernated except for the daily commute, and I suffered come March. Last winter I carried on riding right through, out in the snow, with a scarf pulled up to my eyes and felt great for it... then had a 2-month lay-off in the summer with cracked ribs :?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've listened to the advice about keeping the exercise going... I've had a stinking chest / head cold these last few days but I've kept myselg commuting. I've just lowered the speed as I realised I simply couldn't supply the Oxygen quickly enough.

It has however kept me going and oddly I have managed a couple of quick runs (tail-wind assisted :wink: )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I am just amazed at how quickly your body begins to break down the muscle - its been even longer since i was in the pool last, went in last night and ill tell you now it was not a pretty session!

Ive been told that your muscles have some form of memory or something so they should recover and get you back up to speed quicker than before.

Here is hoping anyway! :)