Your rants here.

Comments

• don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    I wouldn't mind betting he drives like that as well :( Only a matter of time before he rear ends somebody, the spoon :roll:
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    don_don wrote:
    I wouldn't mind betting he drives like that as well :( Only a matter of time before he rear ends somebody, the spoon :roll:

You know, that's exactly what I said when I got home! Bet he's a brilliant driver. :?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990

I am quite upset. What the hell is wrong with some people?

That's quite a long way off home patch for a Dynamo to be patrolling...
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    don_don wrote:
    Only a matter of time before he rear ends somebody, the spoon :roll:

But that'd be someone else's/the person he was following's fault. Obviously. :roll:
  • always_tyred
    The club have already deleted the post from their website.

Interesting. Not so much as an an e-mail saying okay, I'm sure someone will have a word.

Edinburgh Road Club.

I've been on a few rides with them and they are the epitome of what bothers people about cycling clubs - its a race from the off, no waiting for people stopped at reds, barrelling through reds as a consequence by people wanting to keep up. I stopped going when I heard some work colleagues complaining that they'd been stuck behind a group ride for 15 minutes. Having been at the back of a group ride helping to bridge people up and yelling "car back" to no avail myself, I found it hard to defend them. I just got the impression that a lot of them weren't used to riding alone and taking responsibility for their riding.

I hope someone from the club reads this. I'm sure that most of the club is fine, but the tacit tolerance of this sh!t is a problem in itself.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    The club have already deleted the post from their website.
    I hope someone from the club reads this. I'm sure that most of the club is fine, but the tacit tolerance of this sh!t is a problem in itself.

Its probably just him, but in wearing team kit and being an utter tw*t he does his club no favours. He is probably just an arrogant person, out for a club ride. Which is to say noone else in his club is prepared to go out with him.

FWIW I frequently stop at red lights while club members go through, they then have to wait for me to catch up, doesn't stop them though. Not very sensible at all when doing it in front of traffic with club kit on, but otherwise what we don't do, until maybe the last few miles of a club spin anyway, is race.

I mean I would but it just wouldn't be fare on the others now who can't keep up now would it? :wink:
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Tyred, you've just reminded me of a thing we used to do as kids if another cyclist got too close (and I'm talking when I was 10 years old), or got cocky. Many of us mastered the rear wheel "clip" and sent them flying into the grass (always somewhere soft, never rode on the roads back then obviously)

Doubt I could do it now though. :lol:
  • always_tyred
    downfader wrote:
    Tyred, you've just reminded me of a thing we used to do as kids if another cyclist got too close (and I'm talking when I was 10 years old), or got cocky. Many of us mastered the rear wheel "clip" and sent them flying into the grass (always somewhere soft, never rode on the roads back then obviously)

Doubt I could do it now though. :lol:

Much as I'd have liked to when he tried to ignore me....

I don't know precisely why this bothered me so much. I sort of knew he was going to be there becuase he was only about 50 yards behind when I turned onto that road. It was just that he was SO close, and it was dark.

Mainly, it was his attitude. Uncontestably an arseholie.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I don't know precisely why this bothered me so much. I sort of knew he was going to be there becuase he was only about 50 yards behind when I turned onto that road. It was just that he was SO close, and it was dark.

Winds me up too. It's enough to worry about what's in front of us without having some drop-kick right up your backside.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    cjcp wrote:

Winds me up too. It's enough to worry about what's in front of us without having some drop-kick right up your backside.

Exactly, if you have to make an emergency stop he's going to a) get hurt and b) hurt you most probably. :?
  • Uncontestably an arseholie.
    And undeniably arseholier than thou ;)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    What's the f**king deal with the bastard head WIND all the f**king b*ll*cking time - Grrrrrr!!!!!

:cry: WHY OH WHY :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    Makes you fitter, stop whining ;)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    biondino wrote:
    Makes you fitter, stop whining ;)

Are you saying i'm fat? :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    I don't have a south african accent as far as I'm aware...
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    itboffin wrote:
    What's the f**king deal with the bastard head WIND all the f**king b*ll*cking time - Grrrrrr!!!!!

seconded.

I cycled on the south coast this morning near Chesil Beach and struggled to keep my bike upright at times.

Obviously much fitter now though :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Overtaken this morning by a Mini, which immediately tries to left hook me. I slam on the anchors, she spots me and does the same. After some eyeballing I carry on up the inside, at which point she hoots the horn. I stop & ask what the problem is "you saw my indicators, why didn't you go round the outside?" she asks

I am astounded "but you were in the middle of overtaking me! I couldn't go anywhere?" I was bemused. She shook her head sadly and drove off. Most unsatisfactory all round.

Later on the same trip was also left hooked by a white van; true to form he did NOT stop to discuss it with me :)
    <a>road</a>
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    itboffin wrote:

Must be a prevailing Escherly - no matter what direction you turn it always seems to come from the front.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    itboffin wrote:

Rode to work this morning with a direct headwind. The flag outside my work was blowing directly towards home. It still was when I left tonight. Yet I had a headwind on the way home :evil:
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    There's no such thing as a tailwind, I'm convinced. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar :wink:
  • linsen
    I'm no physicist I know but surely it would have to be pretty massive to counteract the headwind a cyclist creates just by moving through the air?

Therefore you don't notice it. A tailwind masquerading as a lack of headwind.

Wow I nearly sound clever! :D
  • always_tyred
    linsen wrote:
    I'm no physicist I know but surely it would have to be pretty massive to counteract the headwind a cyclist creates just by moving through the air?

Its all relative.

..... profound. 8)
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    A classic yesterday morning.

Taking primary around the south side of traf square, coming up from the Mall and heading round to the Strand.

As usual a car in the wrong lane to the right of me sticks his bonnet into my lane, but I'm there (signalling clearly I was staying in the lane by pointing at it) so he can't go any futher. The cars in front of him clear so he literally whacks his foot down and as fast as he can accelerates and undertakes me, half in my lane, giving me about an inch as he cuts across in front of me to get in lane to turn left up the east side of traf square.

I have to take avoidance action.

I half instinctively reach out, half hold my arm out as a warning half to steady myself against the impending collision, and put my hand on his roof (he was that close).

Brakes, screech and he stops in the middle of the road about 15 meters in front of me (that's how long it took him to stop sharply). As I approach he's wound his window down but obviously changed his mind and decided he was getting out. He took his seatbelt off and as I stand by the side of his car as he gets out.

Initially I thought he was going to clock me but I stand my ground (I'm 6"4', I think he would've had a go if I was shorter, but I visibly saw him shrink after he stood up). He was incredibly angry (some of which was probably to do with him getting trapped originally and some of it after I touched his car, and probably some of it he had already been carrying in the morning).

"DON'T YOU TOUCH MY CAR!!!"

I calmly explained what he had done (undertaken me and given me an inch when he cut me up and been very agressive), but he continues screaming about me scratching his car.

Seriously, his reaction was as if I'd shoved him, rather than put my hand on his car.

After repeatadly telling him what he did he seems to calm down, and gets back in his car and I finish off by saying "calm down, slow down, be less aggressive". He accelerates past me, not as hard as he originally did though.

The irony is that had I not taken avoidance action he probably WOULD had scratches all down the side of his car after I'd skipped down the side of it, possibly some skin and blood too.

I was hoping to catch him on the Strand to have another word but he went off up Charing Cross road. I'd love to know what he was thinking when he finally did properly calm down.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    linsen wrote:

I am a physics student, so therefore:

Drag is given as 72d686af4bdf6ffdff7928e3a20cb4b5.png

F is the force, p(actually roe, but I don't have a roe button) is the air density, v is the velocity, A is the frontal area, C is the drag coefficient and the v with a hat on is a unit vector.

It basically means that your drag is proportional to the square of your velocity. As your rear area is basically the same as your frontal area, if you have a tailwind equal to your velocity, you will feel no headwind. If the tailwind has a higher speed, you will be blown along. This will generally reach an equilibrium state though (like most things in physics) so the wind will simply blow you along up to the speed of the tailwind (unless you'[re getting silly 70mph winds, when the friction becomes more significant) and you'll still feel it as a lack of headwind.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    whyamihere wrote:
    72d686af4bdf6ffdff7928e3a20cb4b5.png

:D I must remember that next time I ride my bike into the wind wall at Millbank.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Just go slower and you won't feel the drag as much. ;)
  • linsen
    I knew that..... :wink:
  • always_tyred
    whyamihere wrote:
    linsen wrote:

F is the force, p(actually roe, but I don't have a roe button) is the air density, v is the velocity, A is the frontal area, C is the drag coefficient and the v with a hat on is a unit vector.

It basically means that your drag is proportional to the square of your velocity. As your rear area is basically the same as your frontal area, if you have a tailwind equal to your velocity, you will feel no headwind. If the tailwind has a higher speed, you will be blown along. This will generally reach an equilibrium state though (like most things in physics) so the wind will simply blow you along up to the speed of the tailwind (unless you'[re getting silly 70mph winds, when the friction becomes more significant) and you'll still feel it as a lack of headwind.

Einstein once said (and I paraphrase) that if you can't explain something to a child, you haven't explained it well enough.

All you need say is that 1. Drag depends on surface area and speed 2. Front and rear surface area is roughly the same 3. Therefore if the wind is the same as your speed - no wind resistance!

There you go kids, no need for all the other sheet. :wink:
  • linsen
    whyamihere wrote:
    linsen wrote:

Einstein once said (and I paraphrase) that if you can't explain something to a child, you haven't explained it well enough.

All you need say is that 1. Drag depends on surface area and speed 2. Front and rear surface area is roughly the same 3. Therefore if the wind is the same as your speed - no wind resistance!

There you go kids, no need for all the other sheet. :wink:

I like your number 3. Numbers 1 and 2 a bit technical for an arts graduate.....
  • linsen wrote:
    I like your number 3. Numbers 1 and 2 a bit technical for an arts graduate.....

How about:

1a. A big sail has lots of drag. A missile doesn't.
    1b. Going faster is harder because the air can't get out of the way quickly enough.

2. A cyclist's shape is fairly symmetrical front and back (not shaped like a wedge, for example), so you don't act like a sail in one particular direction

Is that de-geeked enough for you? ;)