57.9 mph?????

2»

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    edited October 2008
    With a tail-wind I regularly hit between 75 and 80 km/h ( 47-50 mph) on the way to work. I've have done some experimenting and as has been mentioned previously, free-wheeling and concentrating on an aerodynamic position gives a faster top speed than trying to pedal at 160+rpm!! For calibration purposes, I was caught by speed camera one morning, so that means I was doing at least 65 as the speed limit is 60 km/h which my 305 confirmed.

The Garmin does give some strange readings though, I've had over 700+ a couple of times and I've even managed 12018.9km/h. I use Ascent (unfortunately Mac only) which does a better job at filtering out spikes than Garmin Training Centre.
  • Some years ago I took my then girlfriend (now my wife!!!) down Butser Hill, near Portsmouth on a Tandem. We clocked 54 mph off road :shock:

Utterly terrifying of course, but high as kites once we found we were still alive at the bottom! Not tried it twice mind, the gods would certainly notice and it could only end in tears.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I usually get somewhere round 45mph on long steep descents, the Horseshoe for instance, but once (just once) I clocked 51mph. Can't remember now but it was either coming off Holme Moss (towards Holmfirth) or Waddington Fell (towards Newton). I just remember thinking afterwards "if I was a smoker, I'd want to stop for a cigarette now" - my nerves were a bit jangled!!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    chuckcork wrote:
    The specialized wireless comp I had before it went kaput used to go haywire at a particular corner on my way to work, while going through Richmond.

I thought I was doing great to get up to 70mph on the High Street under leg power alone!

Alas, just interference.!

Yep, my bike comp does the same when going near certain traffic lights/speed cameras (pretty rare though, on the whole).