Who do i listen too...consultant or physio?

doog442
doog442 Posts: 370
edited November 2008 in Training, fitness and health
I posted a previous thread on beginners some time ago,however i reckon this could be the right place for my latest news.

I have a confirmed prolapsed disc at lumbo-sacral level resulting in severe sciatica.This happened in July,although been off the bike for last 6 weeks.

Consultant today armed with MRI scan says carrying on cycling,get back on the bike. :D

Physio; seen after I saw consultant says 'no way' :(

Physio is reporting to my work on my progress and decides when i go back/what i can do when i go back.

What do i do :?:

Surely a qualified doctor of rheumatology with the evidence in front of him holds sway :?:

Comments

• bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    I've had sciatica twice in the last two years from lumbar disc problems. It completely killed my running for about four months each time, but I kept cycling right through and I never felt it compromised my recovery. It just takes time, I am happily running again.

Bear in mind, I am not a doctor or physio - just relating personal experience.
  • doog442
    Im a runner as well,he also told me to carry on running,albeit i did promise off road/soft surface.

Physio wasnt happy with this either :?
  • bill57
    I tried running, (obviously), but it was just a running limp, the pain shot straight up my leg and back. In my case it was clear that just giving up till it healed was the best approach.
  • doog442
    Shows how every case is different...my problem is sitting down..went for a slow 3 mile off road run and i feel ok,touch wood.

Im going with the consultant so will lower the saddle a bit,flip the bars and give the bike a gentle spin tomorrow
  • bill57
    My personal approach now would be, if you can do it, do it. Pain is the limiting factor, if the pain is excessive, you will stop. The modern approach anyway is to keep moving, not stick a board under your mattress and lie still for two months. I also think it's important to try to understand what caused the injury in the first place, so that you can modify your behaviour to prevent a re-occurence, which is all too common once a disc has prolapsed.
  • Hi chartered physio for 12 years runner/cyclist 20yrs. As with all disc problems you can do what you feel able to do. Simply if it's too uncomfortable do less. Avoid complete inactivity! You cannot 'damage' it cycling. Your irritated sciatic nerve needs execise like the rest of you but type and amount depends on its current sensitvity. High impact exercise can sometimes be too irritaating (running) Good levels of appropriate pain killers are vital in the early stages.
  • doog442
    davelovatt wrote:
    Hi chartered physio for 12 years runner/cyclist 20yrs. As with all disc problems you can do what you feel able to do. Simply if it's too uncomfortable do less. Avoid complete inactivity! You cannot 'damage' it cycling. Your irritated sciatic nerve needs execise like the rest of you but type and amount depends on its current sensitvity. High impact exercise can sometimes be too irritaating (running) Good levels of appropriate pain killers are vital in the early stages.

This further endorses my views that my physio is wrong. My problem is that this was an injury at work,the physio reports to my employer over my progress and if they find out that ive been going against their advice it will raise questions. I will request a report from the consultant be sent to my employer.

Incidently the consultant prescribed me diclofenac a few days ago, brilliant stuff and easily the best painkiller ive taken in the last 3 months.
  • I had a prolapsed disc (L5/S1) last November. I was off the bike for a couple of months, waiting for an operation. I didn't do anything in the meantime. Got back on the bike in February and really suffered. If (when!) it goes again I will really try to keep going on the bike. As for the operation I decided against it.
  • doog442 wrote:
    ...My problem is that this was an injury at work,the physio reports to my employer over my progress and if they find out that ive been going against their advice it will raise questions....

As you suffered your injury at work, are you pursuing a claim in that respect? If so, speak to your lawyer about this
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    Diclofenac is an anti-inflammatory drug rather than a painkiller (although it may reduce pain :) )

"Diclofenac is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) taken to reduce inflammation and as an analgesic reducing pain in conditions such as arthritis or acute injury."

Just be aware of any stomach pains as some NSAIDs can attack your stomach lining.
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Was your consultation with the consultant, through the private health plan via your OHC? In that situation, I know in our company - the consultant would be the bible, so to speak. It is not like you have a shoulder injury and playing prop forward every weekend!? Have you tried swimming as well? If you have got a compensation claim going through, going on the basis they were actually at fault - and you were not just being a bit of a muppet. Going against the Physio's instructions - stuff they will drag out against your case, I suppose. Speak to your union representative "brother!" :lol:

We have these magic pink pills as well! Jack and the Beanstalk, the stuff of legends "Take a couple of these and you will be alright." Brufen...
  • Toshmund wrote:
    ...If you have got a compensation claim going through, going on the basis they were actually at fault - and you were not just being a bit of a muppet. ...

Even if you were being a bit of a muppet, that in itself does not preclude you from bringing a claim against your employer.

It is amazing just how far commonsense has gone out the window with current employment law.
    There's no such thing as too old.